Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Poetry Potluck Week 47 : History and stories...



There is No More Sunday Depression or Monday Blues because it is 
Poetry Potluck Time!!!
This week’s theme is...
History and stories

Welcome to Jingle Poetry Potluck Week 47, and I must thank you all for such a lovely response we got with your posts. It was nice to be there and read all your lovely posts and enjoy the talent of the diverse group of people this online community attracts. So here I am again  SHASHI going on to my 5th week of Poetry Potluck.

Now coming to Poetry Potluck theme of this week History and stories!!!... today is the day one of the most creative people from India died .. Rabindranath Tagore and in India we are celebrating his centenary . In rememberance of his greatness, I am reproducing a little verse from his Epic Poetry “Gitanjali” for which he was awarded Noble prize for literature in 1931.

My song has put off her adornments.
She has no pride of dress and decoration.
Ornaments would mar our union;
they would come between thee and me;
their jingling would drown thy whispers.

My poet's vanity dies in shame before thy sight.
O master poet, I have sat down at thy feet.
Only let me make my life simple and straight,
like a flute of reed for thee to fill with music.
_____________
Rabindranath Tagore
7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941
Translated from Bangla by himself

Rabindranath Tagore, sobriquet Gurudev, was a Bengali poet, novelist, musician, painter and playwright who reshaped Bengali literature and music. As author of Gitanjaliwith its "profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse",he was the first non-European and the only Indian to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in1913. His poetry in translation was viewed as spiritual, and this together with his mesmerizing persona gave him a prophet-like aura in the west. His "elegant prose and magical poetry" still remain largely unknown outside the confines of Bengal.

Text and Image Source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabindranath_Tagore
______________________________
______________

On 14th July 1930, he also met another Noble Laureate Einstein and their discussion together on truth and beauty and God is an amazing read... Please check this post here...

http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2011/01/talking-point-discussion-of-einstein.html
What About Next Week?

For Week 48, we will have theme Passionate Nights of love where you are required to write about your love and how passionate your love was physically. You have the freedom to write anything new or share any old poems with us, either theme fitting or theme unrelated... Hope that would be great fun too...
Leaving that aside, let's get back to the main topic here. 3...2...1-

Here are some interesting poetry to inspire you to write about “History and stories”....

So We'll Go No More A-Roving by George Gordon, Lord Byron


So we'll go no more a-roving
So late into the night,
Though the heart still be as loving,
And the moon still be as bright.

For the sword outwears its sheath,
And the soul outwears the breast,
And the heart must pause to breathe,
And love itself have rest.

Though the night was made for loving,
And the day returns too soon,
Yet we'll go no more a-roving
By the light of the moon.
___
Text from
http://www.wordsworth.org.uk/poetry/index.asp?pageid=179

Ode to the West Wind by Percy Bysshe Shelly


This poem was written in 1819 and published in 1820.
I.

WILD West Wind, thou breath of Autumn's being,
 
Thou, from whose unseen presence the leaves dead
 
Are driven, like ghosts from an enchanter fleeing,

Yellow, and black, and pale, and hectic red,
 
Pestilence-stricken multitudes: O thou,
 
Who chariotest to their dark wintry bed

The wingèd seeds, where they lie cold and low,
 
Each like a corpse within its grave, until
 
Thine azure sister of the spring shall blow

Her clarion o'er the dreaming earth, and fill
 
(Driving sweet buds like flocks to feed in air)
 
With living hues and odors plain and hill:

Wild Spirit, which art moving everywhere;
 
Destroyer and preserver; hear, oh, hear!
Thanks for joining us to support poetry, poetry promotion, and poetry sharing here at Jingle Poetry Monday Poetry Potluck!!!

How to Submit My Poetry?

Add your entry via InLinkz below by clicking on the blue button, and leave a comment in case it is your first time! It would be great if you could link back to us on your blog.

Weekly poetry collection starts on Sunday, 8pm (CDT), and will stay open till Wednesday, 8pm (CDT), 72 hours for you to share your poetry with us...


Please share your poetry, comment below and read some very talented artists and have fun! 
______
Shashi
मः शिवा
Om Namah Shivaya




32 comments:

Jingle Poetry said...

welcome, poetic friends and talents.

Happy Potluck!

:)

Victoria said...

Thank you Sashi and all who participate. Enjoy the potluck everyone.

Daydreamertoo said...

Thank you to all who work hard for us to take part in.
I enjoy it all so much.

booguloo said...

Happy Monday!

roughwaterjohn said...

Thanks for the great venue JP, and thanks to all the writers, who make reading so enjoyable!

Morning said...

Glad to see you all in.

Happy Potluck!

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Wonderful post, as always! My latest, Witless Limerick, also serves as a Limerick-Off writing challenge.
Thanks very much!

haikulovesongs said...

thank you, Shashi, for introducing the new-to-me poetry of Rabindranath Tagore. the portion of "Gitanjali" which you reproduced in your post is beautiful! i enjoyed the other poems as well.

wishing a good week to all! ♥

mpucukilalang said...

i do really love the theme :)
hope you enjoy to read my newest poem or the older one that i have submitted.
God bless you.. :)
-Journey to Eternity-

magicinthebackyard said...

Jiiingle!! Please remove my link "to sleep in a cradle of ticking hands" its the wrong link! Please! I want to post the correct one that actually goes to MY blog. Thanks!

inaweblogisback said...

Have a nice potluck all!

Chelsea Bets said...

Thanks for the invitation! Happy to participate. :)

thingy said...

Just curious. How did I go from #1, then #12, and now #53, in the link?

Jingle Poetry said...

Thingy, the entries come out in reverse order, if you start from the last entry, go backwards, you see that you position is fixed, at #5, from last to start....

interesting, oh?

mindsinger said...

The first poem I submit here was written in memory of a retired air force pilot. He looked every bit the part and when I heard he had become an alcoholic these words came naturally to mind.

BALLERINA'S SMILE said...

shared my poem too.....:))

~sirrah~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sirrah2011 said...

Though my post is not of history,it is a moment in time.
Happy Potluck:)

Raining Iguanas said...

I little bit of personal history here. Everyone will have similar tale.

Fred said...

Jingle, thanks for the potluck, missed a week and really looking forward to a great week of poetry:)

bsain said...

Yay! I actually have a poem this week!
So glad to be here at the pot luck.

tasithoughts said...

Hello Jingle and all,

I have been busy with my move and work. I finally can back to the poetry. I submitted an entry to the Potluck. Can't wait to read the others.

I am glad to be back :-)

JP

The Oldstrong said...

My contribution "London 2011" is not following the theme but is in reaction to the London riots that are happening right on my door step. I hope to rally support to condemn this behaviour. Please read the commentary afterwards and leave a comment to condemn this behaviour.

Thank you

rebeccaell said...

I too left a poem about London - something close to my heart as my friends are stuck in the middle of it as I holiday in the USA. I worry about them, and my family. A story if ever there was one. x

Jingle Poetry said...

welcome,

will start to read you NOW!

Cheers.

haikulovesongs said...

i like this poem better than the first one i posted. i'll be back this evening to visit some more sites. great poetry out there, as always. ♥ dani

dandylion28 said...

Thnaks alot for the invite :)

Andy said...

Thanks Shashi & Jingle Poetry.

Enjoy Potluck everyone!

johnewordslinger said...

Hello Everyone, thanks for the invite, and I'll be back to read tomorrow, :) WS

Jingle Poetry said...

Thanks for coming, dear friends/poetic folks.

we appreciated your lasting support.

enjoyed reading all of you.

Shah Wharton said...

Love that I found my way here - loving some of the work - loads of talent! Shah ,X

Patent Attorney said...

I love the Shelley poem! I'd never come across this one before, the dark themes really are pervading compared to some of the stuff I've read.