Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Meet The Poet Wednesday

Welcome to Meet the Poet Wednesday where each week we get to learn more about one of the writers/authors/poets/bloggers who make up the Jingle Poetry Community. This week we get to meet Robin Elizabeth.

Tell us about yourself.

My name is Robin Elizabeth, I'm 18 and have been homeschooled most of my life, I have a fascination with music, American Sign Language, art and writing. I like things that let me be creative.

Tell me about your blog, the name, what does it mean to you?

The name of my blog is Write.It, because that's how I express myself. Writing is a form of expression and an outlet of emotions and feelings, even thoughts that I'm not sure what to do with. So I just write. What ever it is, write it.

When did you start blogging?

I started blogging in April 2010 under the advice of someone I look up to a lot who does writing as part of her career. A few people told me that to get started in the writing world, the next step was to get my stuff out there, start a blog. So that's what I did.

Your first poem? Remember?

The first poem I can remember was some silly sentences I threw together when I was about 8, I believe. Something about the grass is green, the flowers are pink, dogs bark and cats meow, and then comparing them to things I thought were in heaven. I remember my grand parents telling me how amazing it was and how serious I took them at that age.

What are your writing inspirations?

I would have to say that my biggest inspiration is my relationship with Jesus Christ, the things He has done for and through me. There is no way you can say some of the things in my life are normal. Other inspirations would be my life, my opinions, friends, things I watch other people go through, the experiences I'm a part of through others and things I feel in other people. Occasionally I'll just feel the itch to write and the inspiration is simply putting the pen or pencil to the paper, or my fingers to the keys.

When did you start writing poetry? Do you write fiction as well?

I started trying to write poetry when I was about 8 or so, but not too much, I started more so when I was 10 or 11 and when I was in middle school I wrote a lot and I just kept going. I do write fiction as well, it's just more difficult for me to stay focused. I like to get to the end, I like to be able to sit down and just finish it. Or I lose focus, or interest. But there are some things I've stuck to and am proud of. I don't have them online any where... yet. But that is a goal. Unfortunately one of the stories got deleted and I really wish I could have expanded it.

Do you have a favorite author or poet?

My favourite author was for the longest time, Brandilyn Collins, and her work is amazing, but now I've also fallen for Ted Dekker, Frank Peretti and Donita K. Paul. I love their books and the way they write. I don't have a favourite poet, but I love reading different poets.

Favorite quote?

A favourite quote, I'm not sure. I guess I really liked when my close friend says "If it isn't good, it isn't over yet." or something along those lines that means that in the end everything will work out.

You have attended Jingle’s Thursday Poets Rally and now wish to get involved with Jingle Poetry, what are the benefits of getting involved with this community?

Benefits of getting involved, I guess, would getting to feel like I can make more of a difference being part of a community that encourages rather than just on my own.

Any advice to poets who wish to start their own poetry community or blogging community?

I'm not really sure how to start any sort of community, I just know that you won't do it on harsh words and hate. You have to encourage each other and have a common interest. you have to look out for and build some sort of relationship with the other members of the community.

What do you think of Jingle Poetry?

I think that Jingle Poetry is an amazing community, it's helped me stretch my poet reaches so to say. I love the way the community feels and I love all the stuff Jingle Poetry does. I'm glad I can be a part of it all.


Paper Airplanes


As people we set out,

To make ourselves a name.

We want the world to know,

The triumph that we claim.


The instructions are passed out,

And a simple sheet of paper.

We then set out to build a plane,

Thus starting here, our caper.


First we’re set to make our plane,

Fashioned from what we see fit.

Then we’re told to fly our plane,

Through trial and error, not quit.


Many of us laugh and spite,

We take the sheet and fold it so.

We take the plane, then in our hand,

And pretend to fly where we must go.


We run in circles,

And up small hills.

We establish captains,

And rate our skills.


But what have we here,

This paper plane?

Where can this get us,

What can we attain?


The rain comes down,

We run inside.

Our paper planes,

Now wet, are tried.


But few of us,

The way we ought,

Take the sheet,

And write our thought.


What is needed to make a plane?

What then needed to fly?

What is needed to keep the plane,

Forever in the sky?


We’re soon to realize,

We’re lacking parts,

And knowing such,

We search our hearts.


We look to the instructions,

Then to the Instructor.

We ask for the parts,

We start to implore.


When all is said and done,

We have nothing here to show;

For what we did alone.

And none of what we know.


But when the rain falls down,

Our plane withstands,

Because the plane was built,

With the Instructor’s hands.


So when you’re given,

The paper for your plane.

Remember these words,

And consider the rain.


The Instructor is there,

To guide us; lend a hand.

All we need is ask,

And learn to understand.


Things we accomplish,

Are not on our own.

And though the journey is tough,

We’re never alone.


Paper airplanes in the sky,

Fly to day break, not dawn.

For they’re there for a second,

If only, then gone.


4 comments:

Jingle Poetry said...

Great interview, Christopher.

Thanks for the diligence.

Anonymous said...

amazing interview.

~L said...

Lovely interview! So nice to meet you Robin! I am checking out your work:) your poem was beautiful!

~L

Nelson said...

Great interview, my friend!Really appreciate your time writing this post to share with us..^_^..
Visit me too. Have a lovely new week!