Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Saturday, August 6, 2011

August 7, 2011




Happy Birthday  to Larry Eigner!!
1927–1996
Lawrence Joel “Larry” Eigner was born in Swampscott, Massachusetts, where he lived with his parents until moving to Berkeley, California, in 1978. Born with cerebral palsy, Eigner made use of a wheelchair throughout his life. He published more than 40 collections of poetry, among them From the Sustaining Air (1953), Another Time in Fragments (1967), Things Stirring / Together / or Far Away (1974), now there’s-a-morning-hulk of the sky (1981), Waters / Places / A Time (1983), and readiness / enough / depends / on (2000). The Collected Poems of Larry Eigner (2010) appears in four volumes. 
Associated with the Black Mountain Poets, Eigner’s first book was published by poet Robert Creeley. Eigner’s poems often contain everyday images clearly observed and presented in stripped-down lines, somewhat reminiscent of the poetry of William Carlos Williams. Poet Charles Bernstein has written, “In Eigner’s poems, one ‘fragment’ is rivetted [sic] to the next, so that one becomes, in reading this work, likewise riveted by the uncanny democracy of details.” Eigner’s work appeared in the journals L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E and The Black Mountain Review, and in the anthologyThe New American Poetry, 1945–1960 (1999). 
Eigner is author of the short story collection Farther North (1969) as well as Country / Harbour / Quiet / Act / Around: Selected Prose (1978).


The word on the street this week is from U.S. Poet Laureate, W.S. Merwin himself, on the environment:
Humans aren't being true to themselves and are cutting back on their own chances for survival by failing to take care of other life and the planet, the nation's poet laureate said Tuesday.
W.S. Merwin told scientists and others working to protect Hawaii's natural resources at a meeting in Waikiki that they were doing work of "desperate importance" as species become extinct at an increasingly rapid rate around the world.
The problem is particularly acute in Hawaii, which has more endangered species than any other state and is sometimes called the endangered species capital of the world.
The 83-year-old Maui resident recalled when a scientist told him the world was losing a species a week and noted that pace has picked up dramatically.
"It's irrevocable. You can't put them back. You can't say, 'Whoops, sorry,' and 'I'll fix that.' You're not ever going to fix it," Merwin said while delivering the keynote address of this year's Hawaii Conservation Conference.
"This is a pyramid, and each part of the pyramid is essential to the whole thing. You're taking out pieces of it. Now we're losing a species every few seconds. It's going that fast."
Merwin said humans have a unique capacity to care for others, the planet and other life forms. Other species, he said, may grieve for each other and know each other, but they don't show the same concern for the broader world.
"The concern for other species and other creatures is not central to their lives, but it is to ours. And if we abandon that, we abandon ourselves," he said.
"We're being untrue to ourselves as a species. And the result is dangerous. We're minimizing and cutting down on our own chances of survival, as we do that for the rest of life," he later continued.
Merwin spoke for nearly an hour before several thousand people gathered to hear him at the annual meeting, mixing his comments with poetry readings.
One poem titled "Rain at Night" described the destruction of a Hawaii forest by profiteers who cut down ohia, koa and sandalwood trees and then the forest's rebirth as new trees take root.
The New York City native and two-time Pulitzer Prize winner moved to Hawaii in 1976. He has written more than 30 books of poetry, translation and prose.
Many of his poems touch on natural themes, and conference organizers described him as being dedicated to the restoration of Hawaii's rainforests. On Maui, he has recreated a tropical rainforest on land that had been damaged by years of logging, erosion and industrial agriculture.
Merwin told the crowd he resisted becoming poet laureate for a long time because he didn't want to leave Hawaii and "go to Washington and wear suits." But he changed his mind and became the 17th U.S. poet laureate last year after seeing the position as an opportunity.
"I thought this time, yes, this is a chance, once, to say what I've been trying to say," Merwin said.



In other poetry news, you could win $1000!!! You only think I'm kidding. The World Poetry Movement is a website supporting undiscovered amateur poetic talent like you. Over the past 15 years, this website has awarded amateur poets with cash and the possibility of having works published to support talent like  yours. The Sign-up Process is incredibly easy: Name, Address, Phone Number, Poem, Submit, and then it will be reviewed and studied and you could be on your way to fame and fortune (or well, close enough…)! But beware to those of you who are long winded! Only 20 lines of poetry are allowed (or a little over 2500 characters). But the good news is, you can submit any style, any mood, any subject! It is completely free of prompt or rules, just have fun with the possibility of prizes! It's super easy and completely free to sign up! There is so much talent in the Jingle Poetry community, I know one of our friends (maybe you!) can win. Please please please just take the five minutes to sign up and go for the gold! They are there to support you, (as am I, and I'm telling you, you have nothing to lose! Go kick some poem butt and show them what you're made of and what you can create!) so help them help you! Sign up now! I believe in your talent!
Click this link (or copy and paste it into the white bar thinggie that says www.jinglepoetry.blogspot.com right now)
Good Luck!


Schedulescheduleschedule
All righty!
The Schedule of events for Jingle Poetry this week is as follows:
Monday: On Monday Morning, Liv2write2day's Victoria is hosting a Monday Morning Writing Prompt, Check in any time after 4PM PDT on Sunday (today **times are not exact**) We also have Poetry Potluck going on with Sashi, you can add your links starting later today, I believe.
Tuesday: Join Robin and Chimnese for Review Tuesdays
Wednesday: On Wednesday, Victoria from liv2write2day is hosting a Wordsmith Wednesday where she will talk about different kinds of writing and hold a discussion related to the topic of the day! Check it out any time after 4PM PDT on Tuesday (**times not exact**) Also join Christopher and Blaga for Meet the Poet Wednesday!
Saturday: On Saturday, Join Luna and Uma for Poem of the Week!
Also, on the weekends: Uma is hosting an Exploring Poetry prompt, where she leads an expedition into the wide world of poetry. It's lots of fun, go and check it out!
We hope to see you there!

Special Interview with Rough Water John:


When have you started blogging?

 I started my blog in February of this year. I had a swirling sea of words within me that needed an outlet, but I had no plan or venue. A friend mentioned I could start a blog for free (free is good, I thought). I initially started my blog using images I found on the internet, then wrote what came to mind or what I felt when gazing at the image. I still feel images can have a powerful symbiosis with words, and can bring added depth to my writing. That said though, I find I’m including them less and less.

Why poetry?

 I ask myself that all the time. I’m surprised every time I write a new piece, and it turns out to be poetry. (really… poetry?) I don’t remember ever reading poetry, and my writing education has been limited to several dark years in high school, where I put in mimimal effort and even less attendance, so I could finally graduate. I can’t say enough good things about reading though, as I soon became a vorascious reader, and learned how great writers write.

 I didn’t have a style when I started my blog, I just wrote what needed to come out, however the words spilled onto the page (or screen, as it were). I was quite ssurprised when a very dear friend mentioned they really liked my poetry. I was in turns, shocked, hurt and dismayed that he thought I wrote poetry. He simply smirked, as he is want to do, and said, “go back and read what you wrote”. I was devastated, I was a poet. How could I hold my head up in public, could I ever work on a car again, could I still be a Pirate? I have since embraced my inner poet. Thankfully, he embraced back, and we continue to write.

What’s the benefits for being part of Jingle Poetry Community (Including Thursday Poets Rally)?

  It’s simple to say, I would not be the writer I am, if it wasn’t for this community, and the wealth of comments and suggestions on my blog. Visiting other writers who post here and at the Rally has given me a wealth of ideas and opportunities to see how writing is done, and done well. The feedback is immediate, and sincere. It also warms my Pirate heart to hear visitors say they like my work or more importantly, to comment on other’s blogs, and see the joy they get with sincere praise and appreciation for what they’ve created.

 Even though what I wrote was poetry, it didn’t look like poetry. Everything was written in paragraphs, with no breaks, stanzas or correct punctuation. Through my interactions and visits in this community, and from visitors to my blog, many following links from my posts here, I’ve been able to write in a more ‘poetic’ style. I’m sure my poetry is still not formatted correctly, but at least it no longer offends the casual obvserver.

How have you come to the name of your blog?

 I’ve lived this life far longer than I’m willing to admit, and it pains me to say it took me so many years before I came to my senses and bought a boat. I sold my home and all my possesions that wouldn’t fit into a bookcase or a liquor cabinet, and moved aboard. It was one of my more brilliant decisions. It’s an evil powerboat (just ask any sail boater) manufactured by Roughwater. It wasn’t long before my landlocked friends started calling me RoughWaterJohn the Pirate. It wasn’t much longer before I started answering to it. When I started my blog, that was the only thing I ‘could’ name it.

Any advice on poets who blog?

 That’s an easy question to answer. Write, write all the time, write anything. Even if, like me, you’re not sure what to write or are surprised by what you write, keep writing. I’m lucky in that, even when I try to force my writing into a different style, my muse gently smacks me on the side of the head with an inkwell, kindly directing me back to the words that need to be written.

 The other advice is to visit as many blogs as possible, and this community is the perfect venue for that. Read and comment as often as possible. Don’t just visit the blogs you’ve already found that you enjoy, and those that enjoy yours, but seek out new blogs all the time. I’ve learned so much about writing and styles, but I’ve also met some absolutely amazing new friends, and have found wonderful writing and images just a couple of mouse clicks from my Pirate ship.

Thanks!



Even more JP news
Recently. Riika got very busy, thus we have A. B. Thomas working as JP tech support assistant, he will update pages and add fresh links to JP blog roll from now on.
Please welcome him, he has been super active and supportive (in) to our community, including poets rally and bluebell short story slam. it is our greatest pleasure to have him on the team.

Jamie Dedes has been serving for 42 weeks in a row, she has done such outstanding job, both Riika and Jamie are perfect models for all to look up to and admire about here, please give them our best regards and highest praises.
Cheers, we will miss them...I know Riika is with us , yet we wish her good luck on her new study plans


Giggle of the Day!


4 comments:

Jingle Poetry said...

a pocket full of information,

well done,

Anonymous said...

You got great points there, so I always love your site, it seems that you are an expert in this field. keep up the good work, My friend recommends your blog.

My blog:
rachat pret immobilier www.rachatdecredit.net

Jingle Poetry said...

Rachat:

Welcome join us...feel free to sign in to follow our blog using yahoo or gmail account of yours.

Chim's World of Literature said...

This was a good heads up of all the information on the week ahead. and great Sunday Dispatch....