Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Poetry Potluck Week 43 - Life in Free Verse

There is No More Sunday Depression or Monday Blues because it is 
Poetry Potluck Time!!!

Welcome to Jingle Poetry Potluck Week 43, Our Theme of the Week is "Life in Free Verse” !!! And I am SHASHI. This is my first week at another beautiful week of Poetry Potluck... so help me GOD... :-) !

WHAT IS FREE VERSE?

 “Free verse is a form of poetry that refrains from consistent meter patterns, rhyme, or any other musical pattern.
Some poets have explained that free verse, despite its freedom, must still display some elements of form. Most free verse, for example, self-evidently continues to observe a convention of the poetic line in some sense, at least in written representations, thus retaining a potential degree of linkage, however nebulous, with more traditional forms.  T. S. Eliot wrote, "No verse is free for the man who wants to do a good job."
Robert Frost later remarked that writing free verse was like "playing tennis without a net"
– Text Source Wikipedia

For me, it’s all about writing what comes to your mind without any restriction on the choice of the words to match some pattern, rhyme or reason. Just write what comes into your mind in any way you would like to ...
___
Free your thoughts
Pour your heart
Let the world see
How deep
Is your color
Red
___

How to Submit My Poetry?

Add your entry via InLinkz below by clicking on the blue button, and leave a comment in case it is your first time! It would be great if you could link back to us on your blog.

Weekly poetry collection starts on Sunday, 8pm (CDT), and will stay open till Wednesday, 8pm (CDT), 72 hours for you to share your poetry with us...


What About Next Week?

For Week 44, we will have theme Art Week, Let's call it “Painting Whispers... Week”, you have the freedom to write anything new or share any old poems with us, either theme fitting or theme unrelated... Hope that would be great fun too...
Leaving that aside, let's get back to the main topic here. 3...2...1-
*Lets put our thoughts together in celebration of freedom from rules* 
Poetry Pot Luck “Life in Free Verse! 

Note: We introduce you to a special corner at our upper right side bar called "Music of the Week". It is music chosen for our Poetry Potluck and the music will change on weekly basis. Please simply press the Play button and let music rule while you enjoy some poetry which is fresh and cool! ^_^

Now Enjoy some Free Verses that I could find on the internet (Check out their Free Verses linked to their names) and write on upon your inspirations and thoughts.

____________________________

The High Life
by Greame King

sheepish junkies
grazing in the gutters
on the roof
of Ye Olde Inn
casting aspersions and birdshit
on the Hawaiian shirts
of wide-eyed tourists

defying life as we know it
hunched vultures
riddled with envy
cawing
at origami policemen

_________________________________
Nothing Like

Nothing takes the blue out of the sky
or the shine out of the sun
or the caress out of the breeze
like good old-fashioned

unrequited love.
Author's comments about this...
"Because teenage love is the kind that hurts the most …"

________________________________
Thanks for joining us to support poetry, poetry promotion, and poetry sharing here at Jingle Poetry Monday Poetry Potluck!!!
Please share your poetry and have fun! 



51 comments:

Jingle Poetry said...

right ON TIME, Happy Potluck to all.

Cheers.

A Fantastic Job done here, Shashi.

booguloo said...

Happy Happy to All!

Victoria said...

Thanks, Sashi and welcome. I've always enjoyed your great talent and spirit.

Timoteo said...

Greetings, Shashi!
Hey, I don't see the place to submit link...am I missing something?

thingy said...

Happy Potluck! I've submitted two poems, because I don't read instructions very well.

Anyhoo, one is humorous (I hope) the other, I wrote whilst in a dark mood.

Andy said...

Hello Shashi. Thanks for hosting.
Lovely poems from yourself, Greame & DreamDrama.

Happy Potluck all!

Looking forward to lots of wonderful reading.

Have a great week ahead!

Dennis Go said...

At last... A potluck dedicated to free verse!

Thanks Sashi and the entire Jingle Poetry Team!

Poetic Soul said...

Nice one!

lunawitch15 said...

Hi everyone,
I am having a real bad day pain wise so my daughter ( who fle3w in this morning) helped me compose and type the poem i have in today. it is one of my worst i am sorry will do better soon.
Luna

haikulovesongs said...

looking forward to seeing what everyone is up to! it may take me through Monday to visit. ♥ dani

RiikaInfinityy said...

Hi everyone, I dunno if this is considered a free verse, but this is the first poem of my fourth series poetry I am currently working on, feel free to check it out=)~

beccagivens said...

oops looks like neither of my links posted correctly - please delete them and I will try again! :D

Bijaylaxmi said...

Thanks Jingle poetry and Shashi Ji for this beautiful opportunity. Shashi Ji Your description of the theme is wonderful and inspiring.

I have posted three poems.. two new and one old.. The third one in fact was my first poem I wrote that in Oriya during my graduation days... may be 15 years earlier.. This one is translated version of the original.

Ramesh Sood said...

WOw!!! Fallen in love with the poem Nothing Like... by DreamDrama.. absolutely beautiful..leaves something comforting behind..

Well do look at sr. no.49 ..my 300th post.. hope you will all like it...

Ramesh Sood said...

WOw!!! Fallen in love with the poem Nothing Like... by DreamDrama.. absolutely beautiful..leaves something comforting behind..

Well do look at sr. no.49 ..my 300th post.. hope you will all like it...

(Queenmothermamaw) Peggy said...

That lonesome Q is QMM forgot the rest of it. Great work girls.
QMM

Andy said...

I forgot to add that I like the Enya music!

wordcoaster said...

Though I dislike free verse poetry, I gave it a stab (perhaps a bit maliciously ;) There are still some rhymes--old habits die hard. Happy potluck everyone, look forward to reading lots of amazing poetry!

ccchampagne said...

So far posted one (an old scribbling I found while cleaning up an old computer) but may be back for more later! Thank you for hosting! *smile*

vivinfrance said...

I haven't been here for a while, but I followed the link in someone's poem, and couldn't resist the prompt. I'll be back to visit others later.

mpucukilalang said...

happy pot luck all.... I'm not sure my poem compatible with the theme, since i never understand how to write poem in theory.... *my bad.. :)
but would love to read all amazing poem
sincerely, C.Sasmita (Journey to Eternity)

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

My limericks are pretty much the opposite of free verse. :)

Here's my latest Limerick-Off -- Fair Limerick

ccchampagne said...

... and here's a second entry... *smile*

deep said...

Happiness. Free verse is joy!

Peggy Nolan said...

Happy Potluck!

Peggy

mindsinger said...

I do not consciously sit down to write free verse poetry. And it's true there is a rhythm to it; an inner song that plays out in the poet's mind and the notes must fit.

Marbles in My Pocket said...

A fine mess you've made here, Cholly! My apologies for not paying attention to what Iw as doing this week. Seems I logged onto an old Potluck Week, and I've benn reading and commenting on poems for that week! DOH! I also wrote a poem based on the theme for that week. It's not free verse, and it has nothing to do with this week's prompt, but I hope you enjoy it, nonetheless. I'll pay attention next week!

C Rose said...

Happy Potluck! Look forward to diving in! ~ Rose

Jingle said...

Free Verse or Not, it does not matter..let's simply enjoy poetry and have fun reading and getting inspired.

Cheers.

mindsinger said...

This free verse,"One More Mile" is actually paragraphs, but I hope it will fill a need in someone's day.

Fred said...

I'm just putting 2 in this week, they're both rather long pieces. I'm at 116 &117, hope ya'll enjoy. Looking forward to another week of good reads:)

ashwini said...

Thanks for the 'Free Verse' idea. Just love your site and all the writers!Hope you like my poem!

Rajlakshmi said...

Glad to be back here :)
Enjoy :)

Cassiopeia Rises said...

Here is mine...

my poem

Melanie Bishop

Kim Nelson said...

My piece was prompted by recent events in the US news.

mindsinger said...

Well, that's it for this week! Happy poeming!

azfree said...

Holy Moly! There's a lot of entries here!!!! Good to be back!

Amity said...

Hello everyone, am back at Jingle's Poetry Potluck...visiting everyone soon!

Amity

elcampanano said...

I've submitted 3, submission numbers 164 - 166. Thank you for this lovely opportunity!

the feeling lioness said...

Love free verse
I've submitted three poems
do check them out
they are not that bad

the critics said...

cheers for a wonderful week:)

JamieDedes said...

Fab post and poem. Thank you!

Happy Potluck to one and all ...

Shashi said...

What a lovely response.. to a 'life in free verses' and I am glad that I could some time off to write one of my own, and have it submitted before linkz closes submission...
I am now going to enjoy weekend fun of reading poetry and would love to comment on as much as possible...
I am so happy that my first week at Poetry Potluck has such a good response....
I am grateful to all and happy being with this team...

Shashi
ॐ नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya
http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2011/07/whispers-cuckoos-song-and-smell-of-love.html
At Twitter @VerseEveryDay

kez said...

I have submitted 3 poems ...2 highlighting organ transplant and donors. as it was National transplant week last week in the UK but one can always sign up regardless of time or country ....thanks for this opportunity

jeaniemcbain said...

Hello everyone, phew I thought I had missed this weeks potluck. Turns out I was on the wrong page :). I will be fine when I wake up haha.

Looking forward to reading all the wondeful poems today.

Take care out there :)

Jingle Poetry said...

you are making history, Shashi.

all is welcome...

Happy Potluck!

Marbles in My Pocket said...

I usually submit only one poem to Potluck, but this one came spilling out of me this morning and I am compelled to share it. I don't do much free verse, and this may not be technically correct, but here it is. Thanks to all who read my poems and comment. You bless me much!

Shashi said...

Its good to see that there are so many poets out there trying their Free verse's ... I am glad that they all are having fun...
Now I am going to spend another few hours trying to read as many as possible.... and hope to have a good time.... with a cup of tea or many many more... ;-)

Shashi
ॐ नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya
http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2011/07/whispers-cuckoos-song-and-smell-of-love.html
At Twitter @VerseEveryDay

Jingle said...

Happy Potluck.

It is good when poets are inspired and encouraged to share, take your time, do the visits any time before Sunday, week 44 starts,

Cheers.

Loved all of your talent shown here,

all of the entries are delicious and profound.

Bless your Wednesday.

dramastrois said...

Hi people!

I rarely post, but when i do I really like to here people's opinions. sorry if I don't get back to you. please check out my post

http://dramastrois.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/only-mind-can-seperate-us/

Thanks!Dramasque

dramastrois said...

Hi people!

I rarely post, but when i do I really like to here people's opinions. sorry if I don't get back to you. please check out my post

http://dramastrois.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/only-mind-can-seperate-us/

Thanks!Dramasque