Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Meet the poet on Wednesday

Welcome to Meet the Poet and this Wednesday! I am Blaga and today I will introduce you to another author, part of Jingle Poetry Community. Please welcome and enjoy Gayle Rose.

"Always keep your mind as bright and clear as the vast sky, the great ocean, and the highest peak, empty of all thoughts. Always keep your body filled with light and heat. Fill yourself with the power of wisdom and enlightenment."
~ Morihei Ueshiba




Tell us about yourself, who is Gayle Rose?


I’m the oldest girl and third in line of six children. As you can imagine, we were a loud and raucous bunch growing up--my poor mother had all six of us within ten years. I still marvel at her fortitude! Even though we were at each other’s throats when younger, we managed to end up being quite close--my brothers and sisters are my best friends.

I was married once--and once was enough! I am mother to two adult daughters who I just adore--they are both beautiful and fun people. Motherhood has been my finest and most rewarding “job”--I just loved being Mom to two little girls.


I share a home with my partner, Tom, and our cat, Sita.


I have always been a fairly quiet and sensitive person and can be quite reserved when first getting to know someone but also can have a very sarcastic and irreverent side too. I have to watch that sarcasm sometimes and reel it in--some people don’t appreciate it--my mother being one. I definitely got my humor gene from my father!


One of my most defining moments happened while I was still a teenager. I had a spiritual awakening that was very profound; I can still feel the sense of awe that it brought me. From that moment on, the focus in my life has been on my spiritual development.


My cat, Sita, and I have similar, calm temperaments so we are very compatible. She belonged to my youngest daughter before Tom and I adopted her. My daughter made the unfortunate and ill-fated decision to bring home a kitten “friend” for Sita one day. Sita hated her new “brother” and hissed and spat at him every single day until over two years later when we finally adopted her. She is much happier now being an only kitty!


I love nature, bird watching, gardening, many different types of music--and writing and reading--of course.


When did you start blogging?


The end of August 2010--not quite a year yet.


What does your blog mean to you? The meaning of the name?


My blog is a means of expression for me and sharing with others. In some ways, it’s almost like therapy. It’s become my job these days too. I’m trying to learn new techniques and expand my expertise and understanding of writing. It also gives me the benefit of connecting with some really great writers and making some very nice friendships.

The word “bodhi” comes from both ancient Sanskrit and Pali languages and means awakening, insight, understanding and sometimes is described as meaning enlightenment. I’m a student of many spiritual teachings and consider myself to be on a path to “awakening”--the word Bodhi leapt to mind when choosing a name and I added Rose to it--my last name, and Bodhirose was born.

Do you remember your first poem? What was it about?


The following is the first poem that I posted on my blog. Basically, I started writing poetry when I joined Jingle’s poetry community through the encouragement of my dear friend, Trisha Basu.

It’s about the journey of life and the obstacles and challenges we may encounter along the way and how we can take it one step at a time and not get discouraged. We all have our own individual pace of growing and becoming our best.

Step by Step

Step by step I journey through this life,

climbing countless and steep mountains

of one foot after the other.

Only to stumble and go tumbling down
to come to the place of where I now rest.
Go on, go on,

keep up, keep up!

No matter the deep, depressive darkness

that may envelop me,

or the brilliant light of peaceful knowing,

I am be-coming...

one

step

at

a

time,

at the perfect pace.


Do you write only poetry, A style that you prefer?

Initially, I started writing some true-life memoir stories on my blog and then quickly switched to mostly poetry writing when I joined Jingle’s community of poets. But I do have several stories that I have written connected to my time spent in a commune and other assorted memoir writings. Most of my poems have been freestyle but I have tried my hand with other poetry forms on occasion. I would love to “master” the art of haiku! The idea of conveying a message of such impressive imagery coupled with timeless snippets of life within a few syllables really appeals to my “less is more” nature.

Favorite poem you've written?


I think my favorite poem would be “Conscience…”, I’m a supporter of Amnesty International which works to aid those worldwide who have been persecuted or wrongly accused and imprisoned for speaking out against societal atrocities. I wrote this poem in tribute to the tireless work they do on behalf of those who have lost their rights (and many times their lives) and voices to express themselves against the corruption and tyranny with which they live.

I also like my poem, “When the Moment Comes I Die”- http://bodhirose.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/when-the-moment-comes-i-die/

Conscience

Don’t speak up

and see what transpires

when you don’t add your voice

to atrocities seen.


Don’t speak out

when outraged and incensed,

then the outrage will be

that your silence was kept.


Prisoners of conscience

don’t have a say,

their rights have been taken

and many enslaved.


There’s many held captive,

tortured and raped–

stand up against these injustices

before it’s too late.


Our lives are filled

with everyday scenes

where societies are crumbling

but we won’t hear the screams.


Too many turn a blind eye

and ears deafened by choice,

what a shame, what a tragedy–

what is our unease?


People worldwide are needlessly dying,

by the tainted hands of corruption.

We can stop it; we can help

through all of us uniting.


Speak out, join forces

with all others who care

and write letters of protest

opposing all tyranny.


Open your eyes, don’t look away–

your compassion is desperately needed.

So unlock your heart and don’t delay,

join Amnesty International–before the end of this day.


What inspires you to write the most?

I’m inspired by nature and my social and spiritual interests. I’m inspired to share my feelings and personal experiences as well--it’s another way to connect with others and show that we share commonalities.

Favorite books, authors?


My favorite book would have to be “Autobiography of a Yogi” by Paramahansa Yogananda because it helped awaken my spiritual interests while I was still a teenager and to the commitment of my spiritual development. Also, a classic that I hold dear is “Siddhartha” by Hermann Hesse. Most of my reading of late has been non-fiction, biographies, autobiographies and stories of real-life inspirational persons. Honestly, my choice of reading material is not of your mainstream variety. I enjoy several different authors who write about principles of Buddhism, of which I have an interest, such as Jack Kornfield, Sharon Salzberg, Jon Kabot-Zinn and Pema Chodron. I recently finished a book written by Natalie Goldberg entitled “Writing Down the Bones, Freeing the Writer Within”. It has inspired me to keep writing and to feel that I have something worthwhile to share.

Favorite quote?


I think my favorite quote comes from “The Tibetan Book of the Dead”--oddly enough. Every time I read it, I feel an all-encompassing, soothing comfort come over me. I’ve included it on my blog too.

“Remember the clear light, the pure clear white light from which everything in the universe comes, to which everything in the universe returns; the original nature of your own mind. The natural state of the universe unmanifest. Let go into the clear light, trust it, merge with it. It is your own true nature, it is home.” ~Tibetan Book of the Dead

If you could live the life of a famous writer, which one would that be?


It would be the same author who wrote my favorite book, Paramahansa Yogananda. He turned to a life focused on spirituality as a young child growing up in India and devoted his entire life toward achieving Christ consciousness. After achieving a certain spiritual awareness, he came to America and started an organization here (which thrives still today) which teaches methods and guidelines for spiritual living. His teachings focus on prayer and positive affirmations and a life of connection to God. His life’s story has been an important inspiration to my own.

From the past centuries, going back in time, where would you think you can fit perfectly?


Some time in India. I definitely have an affinity with India and many of the customs and cultures of that country. Probably during the time of my favorite author’s life when times seemed centered upon holy teachers who would serve as guides to families and were an integral part of their lives. I would have loved to have sat and learned from the myriad teachers, saints and sages that seemingly abounded during those days.

What are the benefits of being part of Jingle Poetry community?

For me, it has opened up a whole new world of writing which has brought great satisfaction and boosted my confidence. And being able to support others and offer my encouragement has been rewarding as well. There’s such a variety of styles and talents out there--I’ve been truly amazed to have been exposed to so many gifted people. I also have been accepted with open arms by so many in this community and I feel very blessed and grateful for that.

Any advice for people who like poetry and write?


Follow your heart and your truth and let it flow. Write about what you know and feel and let go of any inhibitions you may have. I know I really respond to those writers who are willing to be vulnerable and share themselves. I try to do the same.

*****

Quiet


In the quiet of the evening

When all is still and tranquil

I breathe in deep and sense my essence

Pure, everlasting acquiescence

The gentle silence of the night

Soothes me into peaceful harmony

No thoughts invade to bring discord

Turned within, I find serenity

Sitting motionless but relaxed and steady

I feel composed and undisturbed

The whole of the cosmos supports my state

I’m in alignment; a smile escapes

Joy transcends all here below

Energy tickles its way upward

Merging powers serve to greet me

My Oneness revealed; I’m blessed completely


*****


That would be all from me- Blaga and Gayle! Thank you Gayle for your time!

Don't forget to visit her at http://bodhirose.wordpress.com/
Stay tuned for next Wednesday!


Peace& Love ...


18 comments:

JamesRho said...

I have love the heart Gayle had on writing her blogs,when you go over poems,there feeling & justification of real life events,peace of mind eg title Conscience.believe live with JPC and other authors would make you achieved you goal.thanks Gayle for bright day given us.

James

Chim's World of Literature said...

I have always read your poetry on your blog just never knew your real name. I love your work.
This was a great interview Blaga& Gayle.

Jingle said...

handsome interview indeed,

bless your day.

JamieDedes said...

Bravo! Blaga and Gayle. Wonderful interview.

Two of our top fave together. I like that!

:-)

Happy day ladies and thank you!

bodhirose said...

Thank you, James for your kind words for me. It means a lot.

Gayle

bodhirose said...

I appreciate you reading my blog, Chim's World--thanks so much and for your kind comment today.

Gayle

bodhirose said...

Thank you, Jingle. Without you, none of this would be possible for me. I am very grateful.

Gayle xoxo

bodhirose said...

What a nice thing to say, Jamie. I so appreciate your kind words and your visits to my blog. You've been a real inspiration to me.

Hugs,
Gayle

bodhirose said...

Thank you, Blaga, for the interview and wanting to acknowledge me in this way. I am very honored.

Hugs,
Gayle

Dom* said...

very good interview....spot on with great points such as the quote from the Tibetan Book of the Dead....about merging with the light...as we depart objectively in that world of illusion and slavery to ego we then see this light within us and begin to sense the Soul stronger to merge in the Universe with subjectively....you have always been an inspiration to me Bodhirose...since we met on intent over two years ago....keep up the great writings as well...AUM(+)
soulbro*;)xoxoxo---{--@

jgavinallan said...

Gayle:
I love your poetry, which is just repeating what so many others think...You write a novel in a few lines...I have told you this before...so you know I mean it
hugs to a great poet
Jaye

bodhirose said...

Thank you, Dominic. That is why that quote affects me the way it does. It is my true being that I long to merge with. I'm very grateful for our inspiration to each other since those days long ago on Intent. (It seems like such a long time ago to me).

I'm very grateful for your love and encouragement for me.

Much love,
Gayle xoxo

bodhirose said...

Of course I know you mean it, Jaye. I'm very grateful for you and your lovely comments for me. A wonderful friend and a wonderful "fan".

Love,
Gayle

Dom* said...

yes to me as well....enjoy always my Dearest Bodhirose(+)
soulbro*;)xoxoxo---{--@

Victoria said...

Gayle, you are such a beautiful source of inspiration to me. I'm so glad you interviewed her, Blaga. Thanks to both of you.

bodhirose said...

Thank you so much, Victoria. I'm truly touched by your kind words for me.

Blaga said...

Thank you for the deep of my heart that you appreciate Gayle's special touch to the world of writing! It was a pleasure to interview her!

Sumana Roy said...

oh Gayle, this is such a wonderful read...thank you Blaga for the chat....