Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Friday, June 17, 2011

Saturday "Poem of the Week

This week’s poetry, posted on the theme of Dictatorship, Autocracy, and Despotism, covered an array of topics: war, politics, slavery to the senses, bosses, parents and more. Several of you addressed the sensitive topic of child abuse and/or sexual molestation. It was one of these poems that I chose to feature for today’s Poem of the Week.




Untitled Poem
13 Jun



I still remember that day


With a strange, bitter clarity


Six years to the day


I doubt you remember as well as I


These are the same hands


You tied up


These are the same eyes


Which were too afraid to cry


This is the same voice


Which has always been too afraid to speak.


I still remember that day


Staring at the faded blue curtains


At the chewing gum walked into the floor


For something to focus on.


And you… you who thought you owned me


You, who thought you destroyed me.


You, the man who broke me.…


I still remember that day


(c) 2006.


This poem, written in the first person in free verse, is the voice of a child-turned-woman/survivor who addresses her molester. She succeeds in allowing us to enter into the mind/soul/emotion of the girl who is victimized. In a matter-of-fact way she accuses the man who overpowered her, including the small details of the faded blue curtains, the gum walked into the floor. Her poem shows the power of poetry to heal and to serve as a catharsis for emotional events that could otherwise destroy us. The tone of the poem is understated yet packs a wallop.




The poet left me wondering whether or not the abuser had the opportunity to read it. I believe “Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars” has offered us an example of poetry used to effect change in society or in individuals.


I am Victoria Ceretto-Slotto, happy to post for Luna this week. I hope that you have had the opportunity to read other poets, to comment on their work and to return visits to those who have made the time and effort to comment on yours.


We hope to see you at next week’s Potluck where we will be serving up poetic treats on the theme of Void, Loneliness and Sorrow.



Victoria Ceretto-Slotto: http://liv2write2day.wordpress.com