Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Meet the poet on Wednesday

Welcome to another Wednesday at Jingle Poetry and Meet the poet.

I am Blaga and as always, it is a pleasure to be with you!

~*~*~*~*~*~

It gives me a sense of peace and joy as I imagine flying on the wings of the dragonfly for a date and a tea among the buttercups.”

~Becca Givens

Doubts surround Becca at the start of “On Dragonfly Wings with Buttercup Tea”.

"Who is going to know I am here?"- she asks herself and only a very short time after, not only we know she is here, but enjoy her company and thoughts in this virtual world of colorful pencils and scented paper.

Meet Becca Givens and have a glimpse of wisdom and creativity visiting her at

"On Dragonfly Wings with Buttercup Tea" !



Tell us about yourself

Blaga, first I would like to thank you for choosing me Wednesdays, Meet the Poet segment. I am humbled and honored at the same time.

Who am I? Laughingly, I think “Hmmm, that is a good question!” I guess it depends on what aspect of my life you want to consider. In short:

I grew up in South Louisiana (USA) and was imported to Central Texas when I married Ray. We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary in April 2011.

By profession, I am a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Public Health. The focus of my practice was Cardiovascular Disease, Diabetes and Weight Management. My successful career spanned over a course of 25+ years before retiring three years ago.

By parenting status, I am the “mom”/ caretaker/ guardian of a menagerie of 4-legged fur children – 3 large dogs, and at least 9 cats. I have several fur-nieces and nephews as well.

I am the older sister to 2 younger brothers and a sister, an aunt to 6 nieces, great-aunt to 3 great-nephews, and godmother to 5 lovely god-daughters.

However, by the standards of most importance, I am a traveler on a spiritual journey of self-discovery and awakening. After given a second chance in life, beating cancer with 5% positive odds, I am finally developing an increased awareness of my purpose in this physical life. Down this path, I have discovered two creativity outlets, as well as a nudge to study alternative methods of healing for myself, and my fur-children and perhaps others.

Tell me about your blog, about the name and what it means to you?

A year ago, I participated in a course on self-awareness and intuition. One of the assignments, determine a symbol representing my inner self, led me directly to the dragonfly. Once I researched the symbolism of the dragonfly, I knew it was the perfect choice. The dragonfly symbolizes change, change in the perspective of self-realization; with its source understanding of the deeper meaning of life. The dragonfly’s agile flight and its ability to move in all six directions exude a sense of power and poise accomplishing this with elegance and grace of a ballet dancer.

“On Dragonfly Wings with Buttercup Tea” is a whimsical name incorporating my master symbol of the Dragonfly, my love for tea and tea rituals, and a strong connection with my maternal grandmother through buttercups. It gives me a sense of peace and joy as I imagine flying on the wings of the dragonfly for a date for tea among the buttercups.

When did you start blogging?

First, I should preface, I grew up considering myself “Creative Challenged”. Last summer, I was “pushed” to discover a creative outlet as part of my “Creative Rehab”. It started with an actual assignment to go to the store, buy water colors and “paint” something over the weekend … I was given the subject title of Light. My first Meditative Art Watercolor emerged early July 2010.

Very close to this time frame, in a playful section of this community group, my soul sister, Pat Cegan, threw down the gauntlet to try my hand at writing Haiku.

In mid-October 2010, Pat invited me to look at her newly established blog, “Source of Inspiration”. I asked “What is exactly is a blog?”, and “Why is Pat creating one?” J

Prior to this – I was far removed from the blogging world. I didn’t understand the concept of blogging except through the illustration in the movie, “Julie and Julia”. After launching “Source of Inspiration”, Pat graciously incorporated a page to illustrate my art work and Haiku. When surges in my output overwhelmed her time, Pat proposed finding a suitable and easy template. I generated the account, the password and the title, she generated the shell and handed me the keys.

January 25, 2011 was my first official post for “On Dragonfly Wings with Buttercup Tea”. I remember pondering anxious-ridden thoughts: “What have I gotten myself into?, Who is going to know I am here, and who is going to read it?”

Your first poem, do you remember it?

My first attempt at Haiku was written August 7, 2010:

Cakes, paint and laughter

Sourcelings full of love and wit

Butterflies do flips

Is there a style of writing you prefer? Do you write only poetry?

The majority of my posts are in the genre of Haiku; both the traditional 5-7-5 and occasionally the informal total of 17 syllables. I have played with a few variations of Haiku in the forms of Hay(na)ku, Reverse Haynaku, and Tanka. I enjoy the self-discipline enforced while conveying an idea or message within such limits. I tend to become too wordy otherwise. On occasion, my muse has prompted me to expand on cathartic or informational/awareness pieces.

Timeless Essence

Timeless essence ~
Divine Love’s Eternal Breath ~
Eternity reigns


What inspires you the most to write?

Like in my meditative art, the majority of the time, I am led to a subject, image or word or nudged into creating a message. I am repeatedly surprised by the outcome and/or direction. No matter what I write, paint or photograph, no matter how the results were derived, it is important to me each time I hit “publish”, it travels into the blog world as an uplifting post with a message.

The message may inadvertently be for me solely, but hopefully for others as well. Discovering, assessing and documenting my inner truth, my inner voice, the conscious and awakening process, connecting with Mother Earth and her bountiful gifts, linking with my Guides, Angels and likeminded travelers are inspirations; ultimately connecting with the Divine is imperative. I am a child of God, and hopefully a Beacon of Light in so others will see Him through me.

I enjoy participating in several words and image prompts for experimenting new avenues for my muse’s creativity exercises, as well as incorporating new ideas and the challenge of finding a message in whatever is available.

Life is a puzzle

Life is a puzzle
Jig jag pieces scattered everywhere
Need glue gun sticks


Favorite books, authors?

From the time I was a young child, I love mysteries. In addition to mysteries, I also enjoy romances, family sagas, inspirational and cookbooks, in other words, whatever tickles my fancy at the time.

In the past few years, I have purposely detached myself from anything that has a negative impact on my mood or spirit.

My favorite mystery authors include Mary Higgins-Clark, Catherine Coulter, Julie Garwood, James Patterson, and Patricia Cornwell among a few.

Other favorite authors include Emilie Richards, Jan Karon of the Mitford Series, Diana Gabaldon of the Outlander Series to name but a few.

If you could be the writer of a famous best seller book which one would that be?

I would love to combine all of my favorites into one – based on spiritual journey and including mystery, intrigue, inspiration while discovering or awakening spiritual truths.

Favorite quote?

“With perseverance, even the snail made it to the Ark!” ~~ Anonymous

No matter how long it seems to take you, as long as you are willing to keep moving forward, you will eventually get there. To fully enjoy the ride of this life, it is best to realize, we are not in a race with anyone but ourselves. We can only account for our activity; no one else.

What are the benefits of being part of Jingle poetry community?

Please allow me to take this moment to thank Jingle and the community for initially inviting and including me in both Poets Rally and Poetry Potluck.

I love the Jingle Poetry Community!!! The encouragement and support of its members makes it easy to take a leap of faith, try something new, and seek inspiration and challenges while learning from some of the most talented poets and poetesses around the world. It is a great way to encounter new talent, unearth new blogs to follow, acquire exposure for your work and meet new friends. This has been a rewarding experience.

Any advice for people who like to write?

S T A R T … Take a leap in any direction, relax and enjoy. Trust your creativity. There are followers for any medium or style you post.


Propositions from Within

Meditative trance
Propositions from within
Contemplation key

~*~*~*~*~*~

That would be all from me- Blaga and our guest Becca Givens.

Thank you Becca for your time and the delight of letting us to know you better!

Don't forget to visit her at "On Dragonfly Wings with Buttercup Tea".

Stay tuned for next Wednesday!

Peace& Love ...


16 comments:

tarunima said...

i love beccas work:)
she is amazing:)
thank you blaga for sharing:)

ami de manila said...

I like the use of images that suggest freedom and quirkiness.
Good stuff Becca.

Old Raven said...

This was such a delight! Becca is so creative and so filled with a loving spirit. I truly enjoyed reading about her.

Ray said...

Great job DragonFly

Jingle said...

a perfect interview.

love the supportive and creative spirits of becca.

cheers.

lynnaima said...

Becca writes beautiful poetry, and I always love her pictures :)
Thanks for the extra info!

Butterflies of time said...

Lovely interview and I like the subject very much. Becca writes beautifully and with great depth and it is a pleasure to receive comments from her too.All the best to you Becca and Thanks Blaga for this opportunity to know more about her.

Someone is Special said...

awesome interview.. I always love becca's work..

Someone is Special

dragonkatet said...

I agree that Becca's work is fantastic! I so admire her abilities with haikus and her positive outlook on life is wonderful. :) Thanks for doing an interview with her, Blaga, and thanks, Becca for sharing a glimpse of you and your life with us!

Blaga said...

I'm happy to see all the positive feedback, thank you boys and girls!

Victoria said...

I'm always happy to visit Becca. Special lady, special blog.

Victoria said...

One of the best-ever interviews! I thought I posted an earlier comment but in case I didn't Becca is a favorite of mine.

beccagivens said...

Thank you everyone for the generous comments ... Blaga did an awesome job and I appreciate the opportunity to share with you!! Thank you for your support!!

Eclipse said...

Great choice Blaga! Becca's poetry is beautiful, nice to learn more about her great work

Andy said...

This was indeed a lovely interview.
Thank you Blaga.

Becca, I've been to your blog a couple of times and have always been impressed with your uplifting poetry.

Congratulations!

Chim's World of Literature said...

Becca's work has always been inspiring, great interview Blaga.