Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

SUNDAY REALLY DISPATCH, 05/22/2011

Sunday Rally Dispatch is a collection of news updates of interest to our poet-blogger community members.  Your contributions from your area of the world, your activities, or your interests are welcome. Please forward them to Jamie Dedes of Musing by Moonlight at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Contributions are subject to editorial discretion and space constraints. Feedback welcome.

ON THIS DAY in 1972 the Anglo-Irish poet, Cecil Day-Lewis died. He was born in 1904. He was the British Poet Laureate from 1968 until his death in 1972. He also wrote mystery stories under the pseudonym of Nicholas Blake. He was married to the actress Jill Bacon and is the father of actor Daniel Day-Lewis and documentary filmmaker and television chef Tamasin Day-Lewis. For more on C-Day Lewis and samples of his poems link HERE

JAAN PEHCHAAN (Heartbeat) opens his About with the statement: “You. Me. We are part of the same collective consciousness. Cut and sown from the same colorful fabric. Part of the same life force …” He goes on to describe himself as a romantic, married with children, and a “Vagabond in California.” What I found perhaps most interesting was his blog subtitle …
JAMIE: The subtitle of your blog is quite intriguing: Heartbeat, Cynosure, Contagious, Happiness, Ode, Abode, Dil Ki Dhadkan, Hindi Lyrics ... Enlighten us, if you would, on the inspiration for and meaning of it and please also provide a translation for Dil Ki Dhadkan.
JAAN: This is how I would describe my Muse! Dil Ki Dhadkan literally means Heartbeat. Cynosure, Contagious Smile, Happiness, and Heartbeat. My Muse exudes all that and inspires all that in me.

JAMIE: Not unlike quite a few of us in this community, your day job would seem to be far different - technology oriented - from this avocational pursuit for which you do seem well-suited. How do you bring the two together? Are they complementary in any way? 
JAAN: Growing up, there were two main professions that would guarantee bread and butter: being an Engineer, or a Doctor. The passion for writing has always been there, but not the drive. Work does involve a lot of reading and writing, but mostly of a technical nature. 

JAMIE: The love of lyrics and the love of poetry are certainly related. You frequently present Hindi music on your blog. Does this wonderful Hindi music inspire your poetry? Which love came first?
JAAN: I have been a passive listener of music most of my life. My family is completely opposite. They actively listen to music whenever they can. I normally do not remember anything more than the two-or-three lines of the catchy tunes in Hindi music. I have developed this interest in poetry more recently. When I came across on the Internet some wonderful poetry from a friend, I got hooked. Even though I like to listen to Hindi music, I like to read the lyrics all the more. Unfortunately, most of the lyrics found on the Internet are scripted in English. I don't enjoy reading them that way. So, I embed the You Tube videos and transliterate the Hindi lyrics, so that I can read the lyrics in the native language. Having read the lyrics, I appreciate the songs much more.

JAMIE: Would you tell us something about your writing process?
JAAN: I don't find it easy to write to a topic, so my Sunday postings are generally not pertaining to the topic provided by Jingle Poetry, Poetry Potluck. I think that I am a romantic at heart but hopelessly lack the skills to display that. I am often told that I think with my head and not with my heart, even in the topic of romance. I love the beauty of form, structure, symmetry, words, language and sound, and my early morning musing are generally inspired from what I have come across the previous day. On a good day, I lie awake in bed early in the morning, when words magically come together; if I am lucky enough to remember them, I post them here.

JAMIE: Is there anything else you’d like to add?
JAAN: Movies and scenes containing poetry make me appreciate poetry more than if I read the poetry itself, like Romeo and Juliet. I wish that each and every work of William Shakespeare got made into a movie, just so that I can watch them. The, I’d go back and read his complete works and appreciate them. I loved the movie Bright Star on John Keats and enjoyed the poetry subsequently. I loved to watch the poetry in Dangerous Beauty. I loved the play of words in The Importance of Being Earnest. I couldn't seem to get enough of it. I love to read Robert Frost. 
I enjoy reading the poetry, the inspirational writings, and the blogs here. Jingle Poetry has wonderful poets, a great deal of them more creative, with a lot more depth and feeling that I. I am humbled and honored at the same time with your invitation to interview me. It has been a very enriching experience, to say the least.
            The stars were aligned just right at the beginning of the year, for me to find inspiration to participate in Post-A-Day 2011 at WordPress. Whatever I have written here or intend to write in the future, I owe it to my Muse, who seems to have gone into hiding now. I would consider my life to be well lived, if I can draw out my Muse from hiding, and experience the tears, the joy, the hurt, the love, the romance and melody in poetry again.  
Thanks, Jaan, for an absolutely delightful interview and an intriguing one. We look forward to the return of your Muse. Blog on …

CONGRATULATIONS to Michael Yost (Michael’s Lair) who was featured on Dispatch on May 8. Last week he was Poet of the Week on Poets United. Nice! 

CONSTANT CONTACT

JP is on Face book. Link to us HERE.
Link to Jingle Poetry on Twitter HERE.
PLEASE JOIN IN
JINGLE POETRY POTLUCK, WEEK 36
STARTS TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. CENTRAL
EVERYONE IS INVITED…
INLINKZ WILL STAY OPEN FOR 72 HOURS.
Please email news announcements to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Please forward photograph or illustrations and include all necessary links.
Thank you!


7 comments:

Someone is Special said...

nice info Jamie..

Someone is Special

Jessica Prescott said...

good interview

thingy said...

A terrific post, Jamie.

Jingle said...

amazing job, Jamie.

Butterflies of time said...

Good job Jamie! interesting dispatch.

liv2write2day said...

Thanks for the more in-depth intro to Jaan, Jamie.

JamieDedes said...

Thanks all for reading and taking time to comment.

I'm sorry there wasn't the usual leads and info, but I also did Bluebell Books Sunday News and Views, so a bit on overloead.

Happy Sunday to all ...