Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Monday, May 2, 2011

Review Tuesdays - Mixed

An artist's early work is inevitably made up of a mixture of tendencies and interests,
some of which are compatible and some of which are in conflict. 
– Bridget Riley

I can very much relate to the words, being an artist painting images with words. I’m certain most writers would be able to relate to it as well, and with each word I pen down, be it poem, prose or even review, I relate to that quote. So, when I find a space entitled “Mixture”, the quote ringing through my mind wouldn’t be surprising to any of my readers. Even if they’ve only read this part of me now… With a blend of personal thoughts, versed fiction, humorous posts etc, Dheepikaa Balasubramanian’s blog Mixture brings a different perspective to the poetic mind. It is her space of verse that I choose to focus on today for this edition of Review Tuesdays.

Dheepikaa chooses not to reveal much in general about herself through her profile. She just says she has flesh instinct, and that is evident in her verse which in my opinion shows instinct.

A blue background with blue stripes at the top and plain at the bottom, the Watermark template of Blogger gives elegance in its simplicity to her blog. Both sidebars, on either side of a pink hued post area, are transparent. She uses the custom fonts provided by the designer in the blog header, sidebar titles and post titles, keeping the post font as a default Georgia which adds more simplicity. She has various widgets like Followers, Archive, Popular Posts, Blogroll etc in the sidebars for the ease of her readers. She also proudly displays the badges she has been awarded from her friends. The blog has 244 posts to date and has been in active state since July 2006. She has 21 followers as well.




In her verse, she prefers to be free, unchained by form. Well, most of the time anyways. She does dabble in formaic as well, though the results are much more profound when she just verses without restrictions. Take for example, this verse of hers.

I ask you to run a marathon,
not because our neighbour runs
or he is a tad more handsome,
but because I want you to be healthy.
Run with me every morning.

When I tell you to quit your job
I mean well for those days
when you will be pregnant-
not because I want you under me
and dependent, so overbearing.

The title “Man or Woman” misleads. It isn’t a comparison poem that shows one more important or higher than the other. I found it to be more on equality of care from both angles, and I liked it for that aspect. In addition to the quality of her posting, the quantity hasn’t been lacking either. 61 posts in April, NaPoWriMo and AprilPAD successfully conquered shows her muse to be brimming with confidence. She is yet to update her space in May, but I’m sure it won’t be long before she does.

From her form poems, it is still difficult to pick out a top post to share with you, but I choose to share a shadorma with you. The verse goes:

She looked up
from between blood bathed
legs, a step
into life,
wailed so loud having been born,
wanting mother's warmth.

A poem about childbirth, "A Step", from the baby’s perspective, put so well into six lines deserves some praise for sure. It is one of my favorites from her poetry. From a meme outlook, I’ve not seen here many places except for Thursday Poets Rally and Monday Poetry Potluck. I hope to see you at more memes, with more beautiful poetry soon.

I had fun as always reviewing. I hope you did too, Dheepikaa. Well, now for my suggestion to your space, it is just this. If you can, please add a text widget giving some general introduction to yourself. It would be helpful if the readers got to know the muse in you atleast.

Well, till SiS meets you all with another review next Tuesday, this is Leo (I’ve reincarnated in this avatar) of I Rhyme Without Reason. Ciao.




14 comments:

Jingle said...

cute choice,

Leo...

bless both of you.

I enjoy MIx blog and her poetry very much!

Blessings.

deep said...

Thanks for reviewing me Leo, I feel so touched and honored. It is a pleasure to be a part of Jingle Poetry.

And, thanks so much Ji! Goosebumps. :D

ladynimue said...

thanks Leo for bringing this to my notice .. Her poetry has lot of strength !! hopping to her blog now :)

Deepika said...

truly amazing pece...
Nice work dheepikaa !

lynnaima said...

a nice review for a beautiful blog and a nice blogger :) Thanks you all

deep said...

Thank you so much lynnaima, I am touched. Again. :)

Deepika - we share the same name and it feels nice to hear that. Thank you.

ladynimue - Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving those valuable comments.

RobbyKube said...

nice blog to find new things.Liked the article. hope to stick around a while

Bluebell Books said...

RobbyKube,

welcome.

Butterflies of time said...

Nice to know more about you Dheepika! Lovely blog and even lovlier writings in it.Thank you Leo for an interesting review!

M. A. S. said...

Good choice to review. Dheepikaa obviously writes only from her heart and has an uncanny ability to make what might have been plain, simple statements-very beautiful. And she writes so much!

Deepika said...

@deep- :)

Ramesh Sood said...

LOVELY REVIEW LEO.. LIKED HER POEMS MENTIONED HERE..WOULD MAKE IT A POINT TO VISIT RIGHT NOW.. RS...

Ramesh Sood said...

LOVELY REVIEW LEO.. LIKED HER POEMS MENTIONED HERE..WOULD MAKE IT A POINT TO VISIT RIGHT NOW.. RS...

Ramesh Sood said...

LOVELY REVIEW LEO.. LIKED HER POEMS MENTIONED HERE..WOULD MAKE IT A POINT TO VISIT RIGHT NOW.. RS...