Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Meet the poet on Wednesday

Welcome to Jingle Poetry and Meet the Poet. Every Wednesday we highlight some of the talents who contribute their time, poetry and words of encouragement. I am Blaga and today I'd like to meet you with Corina Ravenscraft and her Dragon Dreams. I truly enjoyed the interview with Corina and I'm glad to know her as a poet, as a friend. There is so much she could offer to all of us. Talent, creativity, generosity, friendship...

~ To Uplift the Spirit and Free the Mind ~
By Corina Ravenscraft

I wait and watch for falling stars,
in the liquid still of night.
To wish upon them one by one,
as they streak and fade from sight.

Bits of heavenly, alien dust,
they carry my hopes and dreams.
And I wish upon them one by one,
as childish as that seems.

Fate can change the stars, it’s said,
in the blink of a cosmic eye.
And I wonder about my destiny,
as they shoot across the sky…

The past is but a memory,
the future stays untold.
But if I can wish upon a star,
then my soul shall not grow old.

  

Tell us about yourself.

I think that's probably a hard question for anyone to answer. It's easy to let Ego do the talking and come off as pretentious. The internet is a great tool, but it's also a lens by which the rest of the world judges a person. I'm just me. I feel that I've led a very fortunate, though somewhat hard life and it's forced me to be a realist. And yet, there's always room for hope, so the idealism is never quite spent.

I'm 39 and was born in Seattle. I currently live in the South with 2 cats, 1 kitten, 2 dogs and a wonderful boyfriend who treats me like a queen, is an excellent cook and makes me laugh.

I work full-time at a university library on the night-shift (5:30 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.) which is an odd shift to most people, but fits my vampirish circadian rhythm perfectly. I get most creative in the wee hours and that's usually when my muses strike. It's quiet and I can focus.

I like to help people (both friends and strangers alike), believe in random acts of kindness and changing the world for the better by being aware of the planet and our impact upon/in it. I'm passionate about a lot of things and try to make a difference where I can. For the "web-condensed" version of who I am, I've tried to sum up an "About Me" page on my blog, but it's impossible to contain the richness of being alive in just a few words. 

Tell me about your blog, about the name and what it means to you?

~ Dragon's Dreams ~ The name comes from my love-affairs with both Dragons and Dreams (capital Ds). It's another extension of who I am, a facet for expression; a place and way to reach other like-minded, creative individuals. I post a lot of poetry and images that fascinate or move me, because that's my favorite way to view the world. I post about things important to me and the world in which we live, try to champion extra important political, societal and environmental issues, etc. Sometimes I wax philosophical, because it's also a place where I always seem to learn about myself, too, by interacting with some of the brightest minds, souls and hearts out there.  It's all about "connection(s)" and I don't mean "net-working" with people for personal gain, but the expansion of the 4 L's: Light, Love, Laughter, Learning.

When did you start blogging?

Blogging for me? 2000. Blogging to share with the rest of the world? 2003.

A Winter Minute
By Corina Ravenscraft

I heard the sad call of an owl, tonight,
ringing clear in the cold, night air.
The hollow, mournful hoot of only one,
whose lonesome voice seemed so full of care.

‘Twas melancholy, yet it was strong,
as it pierced the crisp, quiet dark.
It was a simple, haunting, natural song
as the owl sounded out his mark.

It echoed off of the frost below,
kept company with the pale, winter moon.
It sounded as cool as the snow’s soft glow,
wanting Spring to get here soon.

I listened for a few long moments more,
my breath steaming warm in the cold.
I wanted to answer his sad call with Hope
that the springtime would still promise hold.

That though both owl and I were still alone,
Winter’s grip fades to gentle new starts.
And the warmth of fresh beginnings unknown
would melt the ice around both of our hearts…

Your first poem, do you remember it?

 Well, I remember some of it, but it was a poem called "Red is...", written for my grandmother when I was about 8 or 9. 

Is there a style of writing you prefer? Do you write only poetry?

I've been accused of being more of a 'formalist', in that I like rhyme, measure and certain forms. I majored in English/Creative Writing in college, so things like grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. are important to me. I admire poets like e.e. cummings, for example, but it drives my "Inner Editor" batsh*t reading him, so I prefer some sort of structure (though I have tremendous respect for free-form, too). I write many things, and like every amateur writer, I have a book 'in process'.

What inspires you the most to write?

The most? Hmmm. Life, emotions, reading other poetry or seeing a great image. Anything and everything can become inspiration, it just depends on where your focus leads your 'being' (soul, mind, heart and body). Scents, music, visual and sensual stimuli all help. So does being a positive person, although there is value and beauty in examining and understanding the darkness; some of my sharpest poetry has come from the blacker, darker parts of human nature.

Favorite books, authors?

Is this a trick question? lol. I work in a library, so all I can say is that it's impossible for me to choose favorites. There are so many. Poe, R.A. Salvatore, Tolkien, Lewis, Brooks, Eddings, Pratchett, Rowling, McCaffrey, Piers Anthony and old Stephen King are close to the top. I have kind of a thing for Poe because of my middle name (Lenore), and one of my most cherished material possessions is a First-Edition bound copy of his poetry. It's not signed, but that's okay. I especially like all the Romantic poets, but the poetic names that instantly jump to mind as favorites are: Frost, Keats, Yeats, Dickenson, Browning, Neruda, Wordsworth, Blake, Thomas, Lawrence, Emerson, Eliot, Thoreau and of course, Whitman.

If you could be the writer of a famous best seller book which one would that be?

The one I'm working on now, of course /smiles/. It's a fantasy novel and as one might guess, it has dragons.

Favorite quote?

There are WAY too many to pick just one. In fact, I'm working on a page of my favorite quotes, but I keep finding ones that I want to add to it, so it's become several pages long. I used the phrase "Carpe Diem Quod Tempus Fugit" on my blog because I love Latin, and because it's a truth which brings me back to earth when my mind has been on walk-about.

What are the benefits of being part of Jingle poetry community?

Reaching and interacting with others, advancing the experience of poetry in all its many forms and wonders, spreading joy, wisdom, different viewpoints. Learning some new forms, new techniques, and even new vocabulary. It's a good place for ego-strokes, too, which doesn't hurt.

Any advice for people who like to write?

Just do it. The first step (action) is usually the hardest. Read. A lot. Trust your gut but learn to recognize the value of other writers' opinions and points of view. Grow. Expand your horizons beyond your comfort zone and stretch your proverbial wings - you might be surprised. I think it helps, too, to figure out why you write.

I would like to thank Corina for her time and you, dear readers, can read more of her poetry at http://dragonkatet.wordpress.com/

The will of the Quill
By Corina Ravenscraft

Thick as the speed of clotted thoughts,
This language suffices;
A cumbersome tool.
Experience sought (and bought)
The sacrifices
That made wiser men
From ignorant fools.

Words escape.

You. Me.
They cannot be caught,
Yet aren’t quite free,
For every one comes attached to a thought,
And for every action,
It was birthed in naught but
Electrical energy —
Brain waves of….what?

Symbols understood, with meaning,
But none can accurately catch the dreaming,
Teeming shores of what it means to live.
Sensation lingers in the mind’s mouth,
Tasting phrases.
Sifting variations of description,
Through this medium’s sieve.

It still lacks
The richness of the moment’s impact.
In fact,
It’s amazing communication takes place.
Limited as we are,
By our lack
Of (understanding)
The rigidity of moving back
And forth,
Through
Time
and
Space.

Seeking to capture a feeling,
A sight,
To explain human nature –
Thus, stealing it, right?
We take from experience,
And categorize.
We label our labors,
And ceaselessly prize the “Hows“,
And “Whys”,

But Language,
The bridge of the written word…

*sighs*

Though inadequate,
Sometimes succeeds,
And we’re “heard”.

Wishing you a lovely day.
Stay tuned for next Wednesday and Christopher’s interview with another poet. 
Smiles!



6 comments:

dragonkatet said...

I just wanted to thank Blaga for this honor and Jingle for Jingle Poetry! I also wanted to thank all the moderators, other poets, readers and writers that make this community such a special place to be. :) It wouldn't be half the success it is without ALL of you! xox

Dave King said...

Fabulous post: questions, poet and poems. Wonderful!

Butterflies of time said...

Lovely to meet Corina here. She is a wonderful poet with a classical touch that is missing in most poems now a days. Enjoyed all the frank answers and the featured poems were a real treat.Thanks Blaga for yet another superb interview and all the very best to our dear Dragon.May her book see daylight very soon!

Jingle said...

fantastic pick, Blaga.

She is impressive all the time.
Way to Go.

bendedspoon said...

Thank you for featuring Corina, my favorite dragon! She's one of the poets I really admire because of her deep thoughts and she can write long poems without making me feel exhausted. I appreciate too her views on life. I hope she forgives me though of my grammatical errors considering that she's a grammar expert :)

Blaga said...

Thank you all, for visiting and reading! Corina it was my pleasure! Happy Sunday!