Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

POETRY POTLUCK - Fortresses, Castles, Palaces and Royal houses

Ah! Mondayyyy!!! And an Imperial POETRY POTLUCK !! 


We (Olivia and Kavita) give you a grand welcome to yet another week of Poetry Potluck... This time we shall pump some royalty in ourselves, and live in "Fortresses, Castles, Palaces and Royal houses"... So come on and enjoy this majestic journey, will ya?

Register yourself (with your name and the link to your potluck entry) using InLinkz below, and leave a comment with a pointer to your post! It would be great if you could link back to us on your blog!!! Once you are done with this, visit other participants (at least 6), read their entries, comment, AND ENJOY!!! Of course, you can always submit any poem of your choice as well...

Remember: Every week, InLinkz will be up on Sunday, at 8pm (CDT), and will stay open till Wednesday, 8pm (CDT). So you will have 72 hours to share your poem with us...COOL huh?!! Also, if you aren't new to Poetry Potluck, please note that we may not send you weekly reminders. So, it would be awesome if you could add us to your Blogroll or Favorites, so that you can stay updated with the happenings on our site!!

Flash Forward!! Whew!! After some regal indulgence, how about some fun with "Sketches, Images, and Impressions"!! That's next week of course! So you have one entire week to prepare your poem for this theme.. :) And if you are unable to submit a poem ON the theme, relax... Send in an older poem you would love to share with us...

Now LET'S GET STARTED with this week's potluck!!!! Enjoy the VIDEO here and write on... Thanks for joining in and supporting your fellow poets here at OUR favorite Poetry Potluck!!!

video


"A Royal Daydream"
--------------------------
(by Gayle (aka Bodhirose))

If I traced my ancestry
Would I find a monarchy?
Perhaps I’m the fourth cousin
(twice removed)
Of an English Queen or two.
Does that mean I should shift
Into a castle or a palace.
And live out my days,
As all good royals should,
Being pampered and spoiled
And primly mollycoddled?
Which residence would it be--
Buckingham, Windsor, Balmoral or
Maybe Kensington or Holyroodhouse?
Or better yet, I could relocate at whim
And stay at them all, rotating about.
A royal household isn’t
Much like any other.
It takes a multitude of people
To run it fitting and proper.
There’s someone needed to
Serve your daily high tea--
(Egads, everyone knows
You never boil your own water!)
There’s housekeepers galore, and
Persons to tend the laundry,
Cooks and butlers and plenty of dusters,
Dog walkers, shoppers,
And polishers of the crowns,
And lots of accountants to
Take care of all the money.
And there’s even a speech therapist around
In case there’s a tongue-knotting lisp that abounds.
Perhaps it’s seen as a life of ease,
To live the life of the privileged
But it could get in the way
Of the life that I please--
I think I’ll stay put as a commoner.

***
Thank you, Gayle, for this supremely royal poem... it's simply perrrfect!!



23 comments:

David Allen Waters said...

a delightfully royal poem :)

abthomas said...

A grand poem indeed - I never realized the thing about not boiling one's own water!

thingy said...

Terrific poem, Bodhirose. : )

Happy Potluck, all.

Kavita said...

I see you are already indulging in the luxury and decadence here...
Go on... ENJOY!!!

Love,
K

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Great job as always!

Mine isn't on topic, I fear:
Limerick Plot

verseinanutshell said...

Terrific prompt. Had some fun doing it.

iambeingme said...

Wow what a wonderful poem that it...

li said...

Afraid mine won't be on topic, or nearly as good, but summer vacation is coming and maybe then I can get down to business! Looking forward, as always, to reading some great stuff from everyone!

Butterflies of time said...

A grand theme and a superb poem to begin it.
Here is mine
http://harivarasanam.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/uncrowned-royals/

inaweblogisback said...

Great poem. I tried to stick to the theme, but nothing emerged, so I put another one up. I just like participating :)

James Rainsford said...

A very amusing poem on the life of royalty. I've just worked out, that if all the royal family plus 37,789,561 other British people all dropped dead today, then tomorrow I'd be King!

trisha said...

gayle truly is an amazing poetess. her writings are true joy. :)

loved this week's theme. i love old buildings.

Eclipse said...

An amazing poem Bothirose, that's nothing new :)

Mine is an older one, I hope it'll do...

Randy Behavior said...

I actually had a poem on topic in my pantry! Its quick and easy to digest, unless of course you read between the lines... and I hope you do.

Emmanuel Ibok said...

Shout out to everybody here. Lots of new names. The community has really grown. My regards to everybody and big ups to Jingle and the team for keeping the fire in this beautiful effort burning.

Cheers!

tarunima said...

i love the idea of living in royal palaces so here is my poem on one of my musings..
http://crossroads-tarunima.blogspot.com/2011/05/musings-of-little-girl.html?spref=bl

happy reading..:)

Eric 'Bubba' Alder said...

Mine's about an old king, but he lives in a castle, so that should suffice.

ALIVE aLwaYs said...

Nice poem indeed!

Happy Poetry Potluck fellow poets!

haikulovesongs said...

i apologize in advance if i am slow visiting ~ it took almost a day and a half fighting with my laptop to get one poem done. i will get there asap. thank you.
dani

Lolamouse said...

I prefer my own common life as well, but it would be nice to be treated royally for a day or a week (or 2...)

Judith C Evans said...

I agree -- life as a royal would get in the way. I enjoyed this poem and am glad to be here for my first poetry potluck. For my entry, I wrote about our cat Lucky, who is quite comfortable with his royal stature. :)

lunawitch15 said...

i am rreally sick but i am slowly reading all. sorry bout that.

Luna

bodhirose said...

I didn't even realize that people had made comments here regarding my poem. This is late to comment but I had to say thank you to all who enjoyed my poem. I was very touched when approached by Olivia to write a poem on this topic.

Thank you all!