Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, April 24, 2011

SUNDAY RALLY DISPATCH, 04/24/2011

Sunday Rally Dispatch is a collection of news updates of interest to our poet-blogger community members.  Your contributions from your area of the world, your activities, or your interests are welcome. Please forward them to Jamie Dedes of Musing by Moonlight at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Contributions are subject to editorial discretion and space constraints. Feedback welcome.


ON THIS DAY Vasily Andreyevich Zhukovsky  died in  1852. He was born was born in 1783 and was the foremost Russian poet of the 1810s and a leading figure in Russian literature in the first half of the 19th century. He held a high position at the Romanov court as the tutor to the Grand Duchess Alexandra Fedorovna and her son, the future Tsar-Liberator Alexander II.
Zhukovsky is credited with introducing the Romantic Movement into Russian literature. The main body of his literary output consists of free translations covering an impressively wide range of poets from Ferdowsi and Homer to his contemporaries Goethe, Schiller, Byron, and many others. Quite a few of his translations proved to be better-written and more enduring works than their originals. MORE Wikipedia  Link HERE to translations of several of his poems.
ON THIS DAY in 1905 the American poet, novelist, and literary critic, Robert Penn Warren was born. Your can read about him HERE.
Evening Hawk by Robert Penn Warren
From plane of light to plane, wings dipping through
Geometries and orchids that the sunset builds,
Out of the peaks black angularity of shadow, riding
The last tumultuous avalanche of
Light above pines and the guttural gorge,
The hawk comes.
His wing
Scythes down another day, his motion
Is that of the honed steel-edge, we hear?
The crashless fall of stalks of Time.

The head of each stalk is heavy with the gold of our error.

Look!Look!he is climbing the last light
Who knows neither Time nor error, and under
Whose eye, unforgiving, the world, unforgiven, swings
Into shadow.

Long now,
The last thrush is still, the last bat
Now cruises in his sharp hieroglyphics.His wisdom
Is ancient, too, and immense.The star
Is steady, like Plato, over the mountain.

If there were no wind we might, we think, hear
The earth grind on its axis, or history
Drip in darkness like a leaking pipe in the cellar.
HAPPY EASTER TO THOSE WHO CELEBRATE

MOVE OVER FANNY BRICE*! Heeeerrrrreeee’s Danielle, the funny lady of stage and blog. A visit to Danielle Mari’s Mission Improvisational is bound to result in more than one chuckle. In this interview, her wry, relevant humor pops up like flowers in spring. Even in her writing, her timing is pluperfect. Enjoy!
JAMIE: What drives your desire to write poetry? Who are your poetic role models?
DANIELLE: My desire? It sort of drives itself. It hath no chauffeur! As to the second part of your very fair and intriguing question, I fear I have spent far too long trying to unpack the term “poetic role models” in composing my answer. To me, that suggests I should list poets whom I aspire to emulate.
I don’t think I want to emulate anyone. I’d like to think I should write uniquely Me sorts of things. (Of course, that requires Me to be interesting, and I’m not altogether sure I am that interesting, but that’s a conversation for my therapist.)
Now, if this is really asking me, as I suspect it is, the poets I admire (and therefore may have been influenced by), my list is going to sound eccentric- if you’re kind, and schizophrenic- if you’re not.  Here we go: Shakespeare (I think he was an alien from another planet, though, to be able to write like that... I go into that theory here), Wordsworth (thanks to my Grandpa- more on him later), Keats (closet romantic am I), Dickinson (secretly saucy little vixen was she), Whitman (he had me at “yawp”), H.D. (both as a person and a poet!), Marianne Moore (for flying her freak flag high and wide)... and now for the non-dead poets... Sherman Alexie (for telling it like it is), Billy Collins (for tucking truth in laughter), Ronald Johnson (I know, you probably have no idea who that is... go here), Maya Angelou (if you know her, tell her I want to be friends), Nikki Giovanni (for being unabashedly bad ass), Adrienne Rich (for engaging intellect with primal instincts), Mary Oliver (her poem, “Wild Geese” has saved my life a few times)... and **Maria McCray (go, right now and listen to her... better yet, go see her live... I got the chance to work with her back in Chicago and she is an elemental force. Seriously they need to add her to the Periodic Table.) Wow. This is long. I'd better stop here. 
Cut to 2 a.m. Danielle awakens with a start, crying out into the darkness the names of all the poets she missed.
JAMIE: Please explain your blog title and subtitle: It is perhaps one of the more interesting I've yet to encounter.
DANIELLE: In my family, “interesting” is a euphemism that means “bizarre”- as in, “This bacon pudding has an interesting taste.” I don’t think you mean it that way, though. Well, anyway, I’m not really a poet. You should know that I’m more of a Language Artist. (Is that a term? Did I just make that up?) At any given period, you can find me writing poetry, editing reviews on Theatre Vault, acting, directing, improvising, and/or teaching America’s unsuspecting youth how to do any combination of those things. (I also sometimes eat or sleep.)
The great connector between all of those disparate parts, in my experience, has to be the creative force that drives improvisation. It’s all about making something out of nothing, about picking patterns out of the chaos, about sacred play. And ideally, I’d like to live my life with that mission: to view everything I do as an act of improvisational creation. The blog subtitle? Well, I find nearly everything that’s funny to be true and everything that’s really true to be funny... or at least absurd.
JAMIE: What made you decide to post a short narrative before each poem explaining the inspiration? Some people do that occasionally, but you are pretty consistent.
DANIELLE: If you haven’t noticed, I’m kind of verbose.
JAMIE: As far as poetry and other writing forms, what are your long-term goals?
Danielle scrambles around her messy desk, pushing teetering piles of papers about, looking under opened books tossing aside empty chocolate wrappers.
DANIELLE: Crap. Am I supposed to have long-term goals? I guess, then it would be...to keep on... eh... doing it, I suppose. That and world domination. 

JAMIE: Tell us about the other art forms in which you are involved and how poetry fits in with that for you.
DANIELLE: I am guessing you mean my theatre stuff, since that’s the other big artistic identity I claim. And I’m guessing you’re specifically referring to Inconceivable! And Other Absurdities. That’s my recent one-woman show that I wrote and performed (and will perform if anyone wants to book me... really.. just email me and my people will talk to your people... I can’t get enough of performing it). After decades of writing and performing separately, Inconceivable represents the first time I’ve actually married the two- and what a blast! OK, it’s not going to sound funny, but you have to believe me that it is... it’s a play about discovering and coming to terms with my infertility. Stop! Don’t look like that! It’s funny! There are vagina puppets and everything!  

Anyway, to finally attempt to answer your question, Inconceivable started with a poem I wrote about a harrowing medical procedure I endured- and that scene stands out as one of the strongest and most moving in the script. (OK, that’s not a funny scene, but the rest is! Mostly.) 

All in all, my love for poetry (handed down to me by my Grandpa), helps in the way that I unpack scripts for the purpose of acting and directing. Obviously when I work on anything by Shakespeare this is very true, but it also helps to do the sort of slow, close reading that poetry demands in order to help physicalize a script to a live audience that only gets to see it once without reading it over and over. To me, the theatre and poetry remain entwined in each other’s arms like great lovers.
** From Danielle: After having composed these answers, I did a search to find links for Maria “Momma” McCray and found out that she passed away in March of this year. It’s certainly a tragic loss for this plane of existence, but we’re so lucky we had her while she was here and so lucky her words and spirit live on. Bye bye Maria. And thank you!
*Fanny Brice was a Jewish-American comedienne who died in 1951 and was known for her inventive and outrageous comedy routines as well as her singing and acting.
·  Thank you, Danielle, for a lovely interview.

DONNA SWANSON (Mindsinger) announces the publication of her new book of poetry, Splinters of Light. She says, “Splinters of Light will change the way you think about life, your fellow man and God.  A feast for the soul and wine for the spirit, this is a book you will read slowly and thoughtfully. It will become a reference tool for illustrations, sermon topics and devotionals. Gloria Gaither introduces Splinters of Light including an original poem. Splinters of Light is available in paperback, hard cover or as an eBook.  It is in the Kindle library and may be purchased at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble and many other online booksellers as well HERE.
      Donna Swanson has lived her life in America’s heartland.  She and her husband, John, live on a small farm on the edge of the Great Prairie. An artist, novelist and poet, Swanson has published eight books and a poem, Minnie Remembers, that has become a standard in work with the aged. Mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and Christian communicator, Splinters of LIght reveals the heart and soul of her reverence for life. Schooling, degrees, awards, all have their place in the resume of an
artist, but they describe only the surface of the soul.  Read our
work.  Study our paintings. Listen to our music.  Run your hand over our sculptures and you will truly find us.”

TRISHA’S (Sharmishtha’s Blog) ANNOUNCES A NEW CHALLENGE saying “Each week, I’ll post three words. You write something using those words. Then come back and post a link to the contribution with Mr. Linky (but please, link to the exact post, not your blog, by clicking on the exact post title). As always, there’s no hard-and-fast rule that you have to post on Wednesday. I invite everyone to check back often to read and comment on other contributions. This is, after all, a community for writers who clamor for feedback. This week’s words are:
1.     Cleanse; verb: Make something thoroughly clean; rid (a person, place or thing) of something seen as unpleasant, unwanted or defiling; free (someone) from sin or guilt.
2.     Knead; verb: Work into dough or paste with the hands; make (bread or pottery) by such a process; massage or squeeze with the hands.
3.     Melt; verb: Become liquefied by heat; become more tender or loving; noun: An act of melting. 




...the brain child of our very own Jingle (Ji) Yanqui.
This is a new site to support the publication of your books.
Check in with Dispatch next Sunday for breaking news.
Surprises to be announced.

MOST FAMOUS CAFES IN THE LITERARY WORLD: Some of the most famous novels, poems, and literary moments of all time were written and inspired by cafes in Europe. From the American ex-patriot writers in 1920s Paris to Henrik Ibsen's continental travels, cafes were a place to work while socializing, building stories, and of course, eating and drinking. Today, courtesy of Online College.org, we bring you the first of fifteen cafes well known as the regular haunts of literary stars.
La Rotonde: One of the most famous Parisian cafes during the great American literary ex-pat era is Cafe La Rotonde, which was actually written about in Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises, although Hemingway's Jake Barnes seems to lament its overwhelming popularity: "No matter what cafe in Montparnasse you ask a taxi-driver to bring you to from the right bank of the river, they always take you to the Rotonde," Hemingway wrote. Gertrude Stein, F. Scott Fitzgerald and T.S. Eliot were also patrons there.
CONSTANT CONTACT
JP is on Face book. Link to us HERE.
Link to Jingle Poetry on Twitter HERE.
PLEASE JOIN IN
JINGLE POETRY POTLUCK, WEEK 32
STARTS TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. CENTRAL
EVERYONE IS INVITED…
INLINKZ WILL STAY OPEN FOR 72 HOURS.
Please email news announcements to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Please forward photograph or illustrations and include all necessary links.
Thank you!


6 comments:

JamieDedes said...

My apologies to subscribers if you got multiple copies of this post. Operator error. Please ignore all but the last copy, which is a final version with all links and other material correct and complete.

Happy Sunday ... Thanks for reading.

JamieDedes

Wellspring Of The Soul said...

Great Post Jamie, love reading about all the great poets of our time and the past. Grateful to come a little closer to them all.

Bluebell Books said...

amazing news, Jamie...

Jingle said...

So cool to read new poet and get to know new meme ...a lovely shout out for Trisha, best wishes.

rock on, Jamie,

You are superb in the job!

:)

trisha said...

jamie sorry "three word wednesday" and "Theme Thursday" are not my things- one of them is held by Thom in his blog and the other one is in the blog mentioned in the pic. I will edit the post from the next one :(

sorry for the confusion. really!

liv2write2day said...

Great info, Jamie. Thank you.