Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

SUNDAY RALLY DISPATCH, 04/17/2011


Sunday Rally Dispatch is a collection of news updates of interest to our poet-blogger community members.  Your contributions from your area of the world, your activities, or your interests are welcome. Please forward them to Jamie Dedes of Musing by Moonlight at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Contributions are subject to editorial discretion and space constraints. Feedback welcome.

ON THIS DAY in 1937 the Korean poet, Yi Sang died. He was born in 1910. Yi Sang is considered one of the most innovative writers in modern Korean literature. Crossing and blurring the boundaries between poetry, fiction and essay, his experiments in literary form and language, as well the psychological complexity of his inquiry into passion, eroticism and the indeterminate nature of self were unprecedented in Korean literary practices of his time . . . [He] consciously employed diagrams and numbers to push the conventional boundaries of linguistic expression. MORE 
Poem #12 by Yi Sang
A pile of soiled laundry flies up into the air and drops. It is a flock of
white doves. Propaganda that, on the other side of this piece of the sky the
size of one's palm, the war is over and peace has come. One piled-up flock
of doves cleans the filth from its feathers. On this side of the sky the size of
one's palm, it becomes the beginning of a war that pounds and slaughters
the flock of white doves with a baton. If it gets dirtied by black soot in the
air, the flock of white doves flies off again to the other side of the palm-sized
sky
AND THE WINNER ISfor the second week in a row – Chamnese Davids (My Poetry and Writing)  A loyal fan of the JP Community, Chamnese follows us on Twitter and on JP including Sunday Rally Dispatch. As a result she’s been able to correctly answer the trivia question posed on our Twitter site on Poet Tweet Thursday Trivia. The Trivia question asked is always from the previous Sunday’s Dispatch. The first poet-blogger to answer our question correctly is featured here in the upcoming Sunday Rally Dispatch. Please visit Chamnese, read one or two of her fine pieces, and congratulate her on this accomplishment.  Thank you!
Sunday Rally Dispatch is a weekly feature of Jingle Poetry for the purpose of sharing information on poetry, our own poets and their work and ideas, publishing opportunities, poetry challenges and contests, and other news we think could or should be of interest to our poets. It’s all about support, education, and poetic pride. It is an effort that takes considerable thought and many, many hours. The contributions of others to this post each week are much appreciated.
J.P. (Jon-paul) LEDDY is well known in our community and popular for the diversity of topics covered on his blog (Tasi-thought’s Weblog) as well as for his poetry. J.P. says, “The name of my blog is derived from the word “Tasi,” which means ocean or beach in my native language of Chamorro.  I used to love to sit by the beach and look over the ocean to think and dream as a young boy growing up on Guam.  This blog is in honor of those times…Tasi-thoughts.” We are delighted to provide an opportunity for you to get to know J.P. better today.

JAMIE: Your Chamorro roots are clearly important to you. Please tell us a bit about that and how it influences your life and art. 

J.P.: My Chamorro roots have a deep influence on me because I was born on the island of Guam and my ethnic background comes from the native peoples of Guam and the Northern Marianas called Chamorros.  Like all modern day Chamorros, we have a mixed bloodline.  I have Spanish, Portuguese, and Irish American ancestry as well as Chamorros.  This mix reflects the superpowers that have held Guam as a colony and also the significance of Guam in the Pacific shipping route.

Despite the outside influences the Chamorro culture has survived through its language, oral history, and traditions.  There is a great sense of belonging and pride that is embedded at a young age in being a Chamorro.  There is a sense of community and family.  Art, music, and stories about the history and folklore permeate life in Guam. There is this sense to preserve all of it that is built in strongly as a people and there have been extraordinary efforts to keep the culture vibrant in the midst of the dominant Western Culture.

The Chamorro people are known for their passion and their music is filled with songs about love, romance, heartbreak, family and emotion.  That definitely has influenced me. There is also this resilience and ability to adapt that is part of the culture while maintaining one’s identity.  This definitely resonates with me.
My culture is really a large part of my soul and my soul comes out in my life and art.

JAMIE: Is there a poetic tradition in that culture? What have you learned from it?

JP: Most poetic type traditions in Guam are found in song.   There is definitely a rhythm and in some cases a mantra to some of it.   There is a Chamorro proverb tradition.  There is one called Kantan Chamorit, which a call and response song format with very poetic stanzas. I actually look back and felt I must have absorbed rhythms and also the ability to use words to describe emotions or paint an image.

JAMIE: You write a lot about entertainment. Do you feel that pop culture influences the content or style of your poetry?

J.P.: This may be true to some degree.  I simply enjoy pop culture.  I mainly love movies.  If I could do anything over in my life it would be to actually produce or direct a film. I love the art form.   I guess I love the entertainment industry as a whole and I am interested in how it influences our culture.  I admire the creative elements within it.  I would say that these interests influence me more on a subconscious level and perhaps on my style.

JAMIE: Who is your major literary role model and why?

J.P.: I am influenced and I admire Maya Angelou.  She is a consummate poet and author. She is a political activist and a community leader.  She is an awesome human being. Her style of poetry shows the power of words and it has a texture to it. I love reading her poems out loud.  There is such powerful emotion in some of her greatest works that transcends race and gender. Her intelligence is so vividly displayed in her poems.  Every word she chooses both in her poems and in her normal every day speaking is chosen well. What a life to emulate.

JAMIE: You have done a number of posts on political issues. Do you think that as bloggers and poets we can have a positive influence? If so, how and why.

J.P.: Art has always been a tool for political activism.  The power of words has change nations and started new ones.   Yes, we can have influence as bloggers and poets.  There is freedom in art that can move a cause forward.   It is a platform that moves hearts and minds that no other way can.
There is a freedom of speech in blogging and poetry.  Now with the Internet and social networking online, the means for poets and artists to have a positive influence for good is monumental.   We need our voices out there today more than ever. 
Thanks, J.P., for taking the time for such a fine interview.

INTRODUCING LUNA (Luna’s World of Beauty, Hopes, and Dreams) who has in now a JP official replacing Victoria on Poem of the Week. Victoria is still with us as a community member and as an official back up. She is heavily involved now in completing her second novel and had to carve out more time for that. More on that in another edition of Dispatch. Meanwhile, please welcome Luna and enjoy this mini-interview by way of introduction. If you’ve not yet visited her site. Please do.

JAMIE: Well, first of all, how is the Clambake celebration for Poetry Month going and what made you decide to do it?
LUNA: I think my Clambake is going well. People come back for week two, which is a wonderful and awe inspiring thing for me. I came up with the idea because I wanted to do something not just for me but also for all poets. Since that was way grandiose, I thought of just how much fun it is for me sharing through JP Poetry Potluck and Jingle’s Thursday Poets Rally. I wanted to give other’s a chance to just get together and enjoy one another’s work. A winner based on what every poet thought of each other just seemed like the right thing to do because otherwise I would have voted for everyone! 
JAMIE: What fires your desire to write poetry? How did you start?
LUNA: I have this need in me to tell my story. I feel that it is something that I have to do, and maybe by telling my tale, I can give hope to others.  My brain no longer works like it used too. My thoughts jump around too much, so telling my tale just didn’t seem right in a story format. I have been writing poems since I was in third grade and poetry for me just flows out. I started writing again a few years ago when I couldn’t read. Normally, I’m an avid bookworm here. I was stuck in bed for the third time. I have been writing ever since.
JAMIE: How are you managing your time for poetry with two little girls to take care of?
LUNA: Well, they are not so little anymore. My oldest is in her second year at Oregon State, and my youngest will be seventeen in June, and is planning on going to a cordon blue culinary school in the fall. I tell the story of what they went through having a mother that they took care of, in my poem, “What do you do?”  

Q.
JAMIE: Who is your primary poet role model and why?
LUNA: Longfellow.  My mother would read from him every night. I would sit by the fire and hear his words, and I fell in love.
JAMIE: How long have you been blogging and how is it helping you with your writing?
LUNA: I started Blogging the beginning of January. I spent January through half of February blogging on my cell phone. One day I went to the library to see what it looked like and thought” oh yuck! This will not do!” And I spent the next hour formatting my site, than went home and borrowed my daughter’s laptop a few times a week until just three weeks ago when I was gifted by my very own laptop. Most of my posts were put on my site with my index finger until then. So honestly I do not know if it has helped my writing or not. What it has helped is me getting out, and sharing with everyone. I no longer feel so isolated and I have Jingle poetry and communities like this one to thank for that, so thank you!
JAMIE: Why "Luna?"
LUNA: My life has been saved by moonlight many, many times over. I would not be here today if it wasn’t for the guiding light of the moon. My wish is to be a guiding light for others who might be lost and cannot find their way. Luna is Moon in Italian so by taking on Luna as my online name, I am paying homage to both my heritage, and my guiding light.
Thank you for this opportunity, and many blessings to all. 
Thanks, Luna, for the opportunity to interview you and get to know you better.
THE BIRTH OF BLUE BELL BOOKS a new site to support the publication of books by our community. It is the brainchild of our very own Jingle (Ji) Yanqui. Link HERE for more details. 


GROOVY GRANNY HAS ARRIVED announces JP community poet, Heather Grace Stewart. “Some of you wonderful regular readers have also been reading my children’s poetry blog, A Children’s Poetry Place. A few months ago, I told you I’ve been working on a new children’s book this year … What I didn’t see coming was that one day, our daughter would ask to illustrate the poems, and that her illustrations would be really, really good —and funny. What I didn’t see coming was that she’d be the illustrator I’ve been searching and searching for all these years for The Groovy Granny —and that I’d be the publisher through my registered business, Graceful Publications). MORE 


SiS (Few Miles) ON BLOGJUNTA: When Jamie asked me to pen down, “How did you find the site and what inspired you to get involved with BlogJunta?”  Instantly I penned as, “a group of innovative bloggers came out with an innovative idea and they named the innovation as ‘BlogJunta.” This is what BlogJunta to me?
Well how did I found the site? I found the site through an invite sent to me and as I found the place to be innovative, I registered and enjoyed their innovations. They hosted a verdict to help us discover who we are, and they supported debaters, poets, cricket bloggers, and many innovations.

One of the sweetest was the Ode to ‘Women & Blogging’ and a part of it was ‘Testimonies’. When invited to share my testimony to women bloggers, I penned a tribute to Jingle, Amity & Jamie and you can read it here. Also, they have a society for Poets, and to my surprise I was invited to name it, I did as ‘Frozen Dew’, on behalf of BlogJunta I invite you to join the Poets’ society. Thanks Jamie for the opportunity to share my thoughts, so sweet of you… SITE Testimony. Frozen Dew.


FROM JOHN G. EVANS (Poetry: Wellspring of the Soul) A SPECIAL FOR DISPATCH HENRY DAVIS THOREAU; AMERICAN ESSAYIST, AUTHOR AND POET was born: 12 July 1817 in Concord, Massachusetts to John Thoreau and Cynthia Dunbar. H.D. Thoreau was a prolific thinker and writer of the nineteenth century. He graduated from Harvard College at age sixteen, he was sought after by many as a great scholar and thinker. He studied Latin and Greek, grammar and composition, English, Mathematics, History and Philosophy. He started out as a schoolteacher and tutor but became naturalist and writer.
Thoreau lived in a small self-built cabin in a wooded area on Walden Pond and was a student of Ralph Waldo Emerson. His journal entitled Walden, Or Life in the Woods, was thus published in 1854. In reading his work one realizes that is truth was for each to appreciate nature and to live out his or her true nature.
He inspired world leaders such as Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. This fact, largely due to spending one night in jail for failure to pay a tax in support of America at war with Mexico. He wrote, Civil Disobedience (1846), an essay of a calling for passive resistance for unjust laws.
Henry David Thoreau left the world inspiring quotations, "Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth," and "Every man is the builder of a temple called his body.”  He remains an inspiration to writers and poets everywhere. Thoreau died 6th of May 1862 of tuberculosis. He is buried on Authors' Ridge in Concord, Massachusetts. MORE 

CONSTANT CONTACT
JP is on Facebook. Link to us HERE.
Link to Jingle Poetry on Twitter HERE.
PLEASE JOIN IN
#42 will run from April 21 – 27.
JINGLE POETRY POTLUCK, WEEK 30
STARTS TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. CENTRAL
EVERYONE IS INVITED…
INLINKZ WILL STAY OPEN FOR 72 HOURS.
Please email news announcements to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Please forward photograph or illustrations and include all necessary links.
Thank you!


10 comments:

Jingle said...

Jamie,

This is a richly packed post, love both interviews and the information you carry is of most updated and reflective.

Superb Sunday Dispatch!

You Rock!

Bluebell Books said...

Sweet Jamie Dedes,

It is so sweet of you mentioning ME!

You Rock, Girl!

Happy Sunday Potluck!

Promising Poets Parking Lot said...

Simply Fabulous!

Wellspring Of The Soul said...

Great Posts for Dispatch Jamie! I loved them all and would like to thank you for your dedication, hard work, and literary enthusiasm that must make one ponder, "How do you do it?"

Loved all interviews and would like to say, I am incredibly impressed by all who participated...Luna, you are ALWAYS our guiding light, and thus, we are grateful; Jon-paul Leddy, I enjoyed the skills of learning one may adapt while maintaining one's own identity; as well, The absolute best to Bluebellbooks and all who have the heart of a poet.

We love you all!

Someone is Special said...

Jamie,

as usual you are rocking.. thanks much...

Someone is Special

lynnaima said...

Jamie, no words, a lot of work went into this today's edition, thank you :)

I enjoyed reading about everyone, JP and Luna, 2 writers I do visit often as well.

Luna, I thought you were of the tradition of the moon :-)

I make time to come on Sunday evenings to catch up as this page seems not to be available throughout the week. I can't ever find them even when I click on the widget links per day :( Am I doing anything wrong?

JamieDedes said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I'm glad you seem to enjoy JP and Luna as much as I do. Hooray! We are fortunate to have such lovely and talented poets such as these and so many others.

Lynn, I'm not sure at all why you wouldn't see all the posts for any given week, including Dispatch. Have you tried just scrolling down the page? I think it only goes up under the widget a week after the fact.

Let me know how you do next time.

liv2write2day said...

As always, your dispatch is packed with good info. Especially enjoyed the interview with Luna.

lynnaima said...

I shall do so, thanks JD :)

tasithoughts said...

Jamie,

Thank you so much for the opportunity to tell a little of my story. I love learning about Luna and reading the other articles, too.

Best,

JP