Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

SUNDAY RALLY DISPATCH, 04/03/2011

Sunday Rally Dispatch is a collection of news updates of interest to our poet-blogger community members.  Your contributions from your area of the world, your activities, or your interests are welcome. Please forward them to Jamie Dedes of Musing by Moonlight at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Contributions are subject to editorial discretion and space constraints. Feedback welcome.

ON THIS DAY in 1882 the American author, historian, and Unitarian Minister, Edward Everett Hale, was born. He died in 1909. He was a child prodigy who exhibited extraordinary literary skills and at age thirteen was enrolled at Harvard University where he graduated second in his class. Hale would go on to write for a variety of publications and periodicals throughout his lifetime. MORE 





I Am Only One

by Edward Everett Hale

I am only one,
But still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
But still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything
I will not refuse to do
The something that I can do.

NATHAN FALSTREAU (Just Your Average Weary Traveler) is another newbie to our Jingle Poetry community. Nathan says on his blog, “Originally, this blog started as a humorous attempt to document the life of a struggling writer. Now it has evolved into what I hope is an interesting account of a struggling writer without a home. With my backpackers backpack and a pen and paper, I am off on an adventure of sorts to forcibly ‘find myself.’”
JAMIE: When I think of writers who have been on the road as you were, the first that comes to mind is Kerouac since he made a mythology out of it. Steinbeck took odd jobs. Miller wondered Paris. The first two are from our own neighborhood, so to speak. (When you said "Embarcadero" in one poem I assumed - perhaps wrongly - you are in San Francisco, California U.S.A.) Have you any role models that helped inspire you to follow the path of the wondering scribe? If so who and why?
NATHAN: I do live in San Francisco and may never leave this amazing microcosm of humanity. This is the first city that I have lived in that truly feels like home, everything about her is inspiring.
Actually, Jack Kerouac, whom I sometimes refer to in my poetry, is my biggest influence. I feel a kinship with him that I can't explain and I love the way it sounds when you read his words out loud. The first book that I ever purchased of Jack's was Dharma Bums and after that, I was hooked on everything “Beat.” There is something magical and romantic about the idea of ridding the rails and eating bread and cheese for sustenance...sitting amongst friends and talking about spirituality while listening to music and taking sips from jug wine.
Kerouac wrote, “See the whole thing is a world full of rucksack wanderers, Dharma Bums refusing to subscribe to the general demand that they consume production and therefore have to work for the privilege of consuming, all that crap they didn't really want anyway...” I am enchanted by poets and storytellers who aren't afraid to speak their mind or give commentary regarding life as they see it. I also find what Jack called, “spontaneous prose” to be a really conducive way for my own self to express my own observations.
I'm also fond of Bay Area author Dave Eggers who runs 826 Valencia here in the City, David Sedaris for his humorous accounts of a struggling writer, and poet Joseph Lease who chairs the MFA Writing program at California College of the Arts and lives in Oakland, CA.
JAMIE: How long have you been wondering? What have you learned and in what ways has this lifestyle colored your artistic endeavors?
NATHAN: Honestly, I feel that I have been wandering in one way or another since childhood. Even at a young age, I felt restless and not very confident living in my own skin. I have always felt like an outsider so to speak, even when I joined religious groups, sports teams, or engaged in other extraneous endeavors. I did, however, have a great career in higher education for almost ten years that I loved until I found myself in a situation like many others, laid off and without a clue of what to do next. Eventually, the money ran out and I could no longer pay my bills nor my rent and was forced to make a decision. I had always wanted to be a writer but never thought that I would be able to do so and in that moment, when I needed to escape my apartment, I realized that I had no where else to go and that this would be the perfect opportunity to start following this creative path. I had no home and stayed with some loving friends for a bit until I had no other choice than to live on the streets for a short time. I have learned more about myself during that period than any other time in my life. Since then, I am happy to report that I have found a very comfortable roof over my head.
This experience has completely colored my artistic and writing endeavors as I have seen a slice of the world that I hope no one else shall have to see. But at the same time, I want to share what I have seen and what may often be occurring right outside your front door. I have seen some beautiful things on the road and some disturbing ones as well, but nothing has forced me to be more confident in who I am and what I would like to become as a writer.
JAMIE: There appears to be a deeply spiritual and compassionate foundation to your work that makes me think of Miller again. Tell us a bit about this aspect of you and your art.
NATHAN: When I was a college student, I was amazed by the differences in world views I encountered, especially in regards to spirituality. I soon questioned and later deducted that there was no way that all of these beautiful people were damned to hell as I was once taught to believe. It was then that I discovered my affinity towards Buddhism and studied as much as I could. While I would never call myself a Buddhist, as I am not too fond of labels of any kind, I found that the simplicity of the teachings instilled a sense of compassion that I had not yet felt before. This one component is prevalent in all of my writing and one that I am most proud of. Often times I am not even aware of this influence in my poetry.
JAMIE: In addition to poetry, what other art or writing forms are you drawn to?
NATHAN: My mother is a painter and my father was in the theater so I am drawn to these mediums. However, having worked for two prestigious colleges of art and design in the past, I am interested in virtually all creative art forms, especially if it is sincere and contemplative. I love illustration, especially here in San Francisco where it can be seen almost everywhere. The Mission district is the best place to go to see murals from people of all walks of life, including one from Diego Rivera. And...as embarrassing as this is to share, at one time I played drums in a punk bank while living in Japan so I do have an affinity for music as well.
JAMIE: What are some of your artistic goals for the next year? What would hinder their achievement.
NATHAN: I am currently working on a self-published book of poems entitled One Year, which documents the experiences that I have had while on the road, my observations of the human condition, and working towards picking up the pieces to move on from there. I really do not think that there are any hindrances to accomplish this achievement for me, other than those caused by myself. I truly have learned that with perseverance and commitment, anything is possible...even as cliché as this might sound.
Thanks, Nathan, for a fine interview. Good luck!
Clapping.gif - (4K)

WELCOME LadyNimue (Pages From My Mind) to the hard-working circle of Jingle Poetry officials. LadyNimue has volunteered to assist Blaga Todorova (Broken Sprinkles) with recruiting.
WELCOME BACK ABDERRAHIM MISSER (A Slave of Unsaid Words in an Insane World) 
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, OLIVIA (Olivia's Mindly Matters)! On March 28, 2011, Ms. Olivia celebrated one year of blogging. For the occasion she poemed:
Walking across the pages of time,

It’s barely a year, writing my mind-

I’ve miles to crawl before I climb;

Walking across the pages of time.

Countless words waiting to rhyme;

Abandoning the “Present” to dust behind-

Walking across the pages of time,

It’s barely a year, writing my mind!

EXPERIMENTING WITH POETRY FORMS is a delightful challenge setup by Uma Anandane (Inside My Poem Book)  The challenge is, says Uma, “one such place where I share what I learned from my experience to all those who love to explore more Poetries. I sometimes call it as Poetry Trekking.The links are open for a month since new poetry forms need more time to link up. The main objective is to learn, grow, share, and grow together.”  Details HERE

TOSSING IT OUT announces a special challenge: “The premise of the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge is to post something on your blog every day in April except for Sundays.  In doing this you will have 26 blog posts--one for each letter of the alphabet.   Each day you will theme your post according to a letter of the alphabet.
“You will only be limited by your own imagination in this challenge.  There is an unlimited universe of possibilities.  You can post essays, short pieces of fiction, poetry, recipes, travel sketches, or anything else you would like to write about.  You don't have to be a writer to do this.  You can post photos, including samples of your own art or craft work. Everyone who blogs can post from A to Z." Details HERE

APRIL IS NATIONAL POETRY MONTH IN THE U.S.: Join in the celebration no matter where you live. There are any number of events going on; but, here are two challenges. The links brought to you courtesy of Victoria Ceretto-Slotto (liv2writ2day):
And Luna (Luna’s World of Beauty, Hopes & Dreams) is sponsoring her own challenge: Poetry Month Clambake, Let’s Have Some Fun.  Details HERE

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
These community members are celebrating birthday’s this month. Please stop by their blogs and with them a happy. Thanks!
April 2, Jamie, Thorne’s Personal Musings 
April 10th. Shail, Muse, Verse n’ You
April 16:Gracefulglider, Wanjiku
April 28, Shakira, You Are Never Alone 
@ JinglePoetry ... We're all a-Twitter 
Come follow us ... and we'll follow you.  
CONSTANT CONTACT
JP is on facebook. Link to us HERE
bart-07
JINGLE POETRY POTLUCK, WEEK 29
STARTS TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. CENTRAL
EVERYONE IS INVITED…
INLINKZ WILL STAY OPEN FOR 72 HOURS.
Email blooms
Please email news announcements to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com.
Please forward photograph or illustrations and include all necessary links.
Thank you!


16 comments:

Olivia said...

Thank you My Dear sweet Jamie for putting this news piece up so high.. :)
Love ya.. xoxox

Umamaheswari.A said...

Thank you Jamie , for the limelight of "Exploring Poetry" MEME.
Nice reading about Nathan ...Nathan,congrats on your upcoming self -published book

Someone is Special said...

Jamie, as usual you are rocking.. Good to know about Nathan.. and Happy Anniversay Olivia.. and Uma you are rocking girl.. and Poets.org, NaPoWriMo are wonderful news for us.. great..

Someone is Special

Rekha said...

Congrats to Nathan and Olivia on their respective achievements...Poetry month sounds interesting though I am more of a writer hence taking part in A-Z.
last but not the least, Happy birthday in advance to the four of you.

lynnaima said...

Thanks for the tidbits, the interview with Nathan is by far one of the best and supports my idea that most writers have to live/travel to lock in the muse around them.

Happy anniversary, birthdays to each and all listed, kudos and congrats to named and participants.

Totally an enjoyable one JD, and thank you!

Celestial Dreamz said...

thanks for sharing. Congratulations ... all the best to people concerned. take my love n wishes.

Arlee Bird said...

Thanks for spreading the word about A to Z. I have also added myself to your blog following.


Contrary to my usual practice of subscribing to comments, to save time during challenge I will not be doing so during April. If you want to respond to my comment , please email me directly from your email notification for the comment.
Thanks.

Lee
Tossing It Out
Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

Jingle said...

resourceful information shown here..

love your thoughtfulness, Jamie..

Another lovely Sunday to smile,
enjoy poetry, and get ready for potluck week 29.

Cheers..

Happy Anniversary, Olivia on blogging,

Happy Birthdays, Jamie Thorne, Shail, Wanjiku, and Shakira...

Good Luck on other agendas, a-z challenge, poetry clambake, and uma's poetry forum...

Glad to have you here, Nathan,

Bless you all...

Templeton's fury said...

excellent post...im proud of what this community has become and im glad to be a part of it.

write on, fellow wanderers!

Olivia said...

Thank you Ji and every one else for our wishes.. :)
It does feel like being on top of the world.. some day soon.. AMEN

Hugs xox

thingy said...

Congrats, Olivia!

Krislin Neo, Ting's b-day was April 2nd.

Nathan has great taste. Love Kerouac and Dave Eggers.

liv2write2day said...

Jamie, you give us such an information-packed post. This week I've been surprised to find there are still so many poet-bloggers out there I haven't visited. Enjoyed the interview with Nathan.

Don't Want A Real Job said...

Thanks for checking out my work and thank you to Jamie for the interview. Write on poetry month!

Blaga said...

Thanks for introducing us to Nathan, interesting soul he is! All the best with his book. Congratulations to Olivia once again for the first birthday of her baby, welcome to Nimue, happy birthday to all that will celebrate and well done to you Jamie for another great Sunday!

trisha said...

thanks for this marvelous post filled with good news- quite a handful of them.

congratulations nimue!

Rahim's return means a lot to us :)
a lot of us missed him dearly.

JamieDedes said...

Thank you all for reading and commenting and supporting this effort. Hooray! :-) So pleased that you seem to enjoy.