Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Meet The Poet Wednesday

Welcome to Meet The Poet Wednesday where get to meet one of the wonderful poets who contribute to Jingle Poetry. This week we get to meet Umamaheswari Anandane!



Tell us a little about yourself.

I’m Umamaheswari Anandane, a simple woman who loves poetry. I am a qualified Engineer who had worked for a Telecom company before marriage. But after marriage, I quit my job taking the role of a homemaker with two beautiful kids . I came into the world of blogging in the year 2010 to publish my old poems and with lovely communities like JP, Rally, Magpie, Poets United on my way, I was getting addicted to writing poetries which made me and my blog grow.

Please tell us about your blog and what it means to you? How did you come up with the name?

My very first blog “Inside My Poem Book “ is like a Poetry Book concentrated only on poems based on different concepts and styles. My second blog, Perpetual Mind is designed mainly for my other writings like fictions, thoughts and Vedic Mathematics.

As for the poetry blog name , I had few things on my mind before selecting ,say ,like the keyword and the basic matter. The keyword “poem book” drives traffics from Google search engine to my blog  and the basic meaning of the title is very clear to any person regardless of age who stumbles upon my blog. He knows what to find in my blog.

While I published my first kindle book, I had a voting system on my post from which I knew there are few other people who loves fancy titles too. So I went in for a sub-title like “Out of the cocoon into a Butterfly ” for my first Kindle publication following my developing “The Whispering Dewdrops”.

Can you remember writing your first poem?
I think I wrote my first poem when I was studying school when the daffodils of Wordsworth caught my attention and my mind. Maybe it was also a time where my school held a poetry competition too. I used to have a note book in which I used to scribble the flow of words from my mind and then arrange them in rhyming fashion. As for me at that tender age of 9, rhyming means poetry and vice versa. Sometimes, I write poetry on whatever paper I get. Days went by and at the age of 15, I submitted my first poem “ The History “ online in Internet. I also received a letter telling me that my poem has been short listed for the competition and should come for the finals to US. I was in India and don’t know whether is was real or fake .I had to let it go .Now, in the year 2010 , I entered the blogging platform  happy to be identified as a poetess and now giving my second  interview to JP .

Is there a style of writing you prefer?
Yes, I do .I always prefer Rhyming style following Haiku .Rhyming  has a smooth flow and sounds music to the ear whereas Haiku is short and precise to the point .I also love to try other poetry forms and you can clearly see them in my “ Exploring Poetry “meme page in my Blog

Do you write more than just poetry?
Yes, I do. In my blog “Perpetual Mind” meaning “the knowledge seeker” , I blog  fictions, personal thoughts and Vedic Maths. I also write (not blog) a Tamil Novel ” Ennai Kannupeedi Paarkalaam” .The long  typing process is still going on along with my other works

What is the favorite poem you have written so far?
I don’t have any favorite poems as such. For me, each one has it beauty in its own way. If someone asks me to give only five links to read from the my whole poetry book ,then I will give them these


I chose the above five since I regard them as precious in my blog  J

When do you write the most?
I don’t have a particular time to write. First of all, I plan what to write with either my own prompt or prompts from poetry community. I, then blog them whenever I have time.

Do you have a favorite poet or a favorite poem?
Yes, I admire most of ‘Mahakavi Subramanya Bharathi ‘poems and I had the opportunity to visit his home in Pondicherry since I was born there J .Out of his many good Tamil poems I give you one of the translated version of the original Tamil poem below

Much adored face is forgotten
Such pains is daily begotten
World with million splendors
Lord, some still ponders
Let us sing, dance joyous freedom
Get all serve those in martyrdom
Sky falls, never we terrified
Dry minds wet and glorified
Forest burns down to dust
Dearest kin come in vast
Floods rising tides open gates
Deeds take you in eight currents
Crows remind cloud hued Krishna
Vows to see helping hands rising
Dance Kummi, beat the measure
Lance blackout, win the unsure
Harming others, selfish desire
Humming creed, rise to spire
Fill time at the ocean heights
Will seeing you come to delights
Knowing you well I surrender
Beaconing goals keeping farther
Dreamed in bleary moonlight, my friend
Surfing, a sky harbour to descend
Lurking for your love in breezy meadow
Hearing you speak Thamizh, rivers flow
Speck on the cheeks ever abiding
Deck I stand, find simple drop surfing.


- Subramanya Bharathi


Do you enjoy reading books? What are the best books you have ever read? 
I love reading books .My parents inculcated the habit of reading books from young. I started with Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew to Sidney Sheldon, Alfred Hitchcock, Robin cook and few others.

All the books are best since each writer has there own writing style like
1. Enid Blyton, Nancy drew – targeting the young and teens
2. Sidney Sheldon- romance, betrayal and full of spirits motivating woman
3. Alfred Hitchcock – detective novel and
4. Robin Cook – Medical thriller and so on

In my mother tongue Tamil, I have read most of “Ramani Chandaran “books and some other random authors.


What poets in the blog-sphere do you like to read or visit most?
I have few links in my blog roll that I visit often . I also read the posts of the people who leave their footprints on my blog to acknowledge them back.

What are your inspirations? Where do you feel most comfortable to write?
My inspirations ? Definitely my Mom .She is my mentor and my motivator. I have learned so much from her, felt for her when she needs to be deserved the best and yet not .Some day, I will make her proud and this fire is what that inspires me a lot to write.

I feel comfortable writing at my home mainly at night time when everyone else is asleep and I feel the quiet environment makes the mind relax and think more.

You have been a part of Jingle Poetry Potluck. What are the benefits of participating in it? Are you a member of any other poetry communities?
I love Jingle Poetry and I am happy to be a part of it .As for the benefits, it’s like the “Birds of same feather flock together”. I have found a group where I can read and share same interests and thoughts, the basic thing that it motivates me to write more .It also helps me to get virtual friends too .

What advice would you give someone who is interested in starting a poetry blog? 
I follow the principle ,be a master of one than jack of all on my blog.Try choosing your topic what you want and make sure you have a separate blog or separate menu or even a separate label just like indexing for poems /photography/fiction etc.Those who stumble upon your blog can easily browse his or her own topic of interest instead  for searching your whole blog.


9 comments:

Morning said...

Uma, your Mom inspired you..

wow..
love the idea...

My Mom inspires me as well, in many ways...

You Cool Girl, love your poetry form posts.

Keep it up.

Beautiful Job, Christopher.

Happy Wednesday.

Someone is Special said...

‘Mahakavi Subramanya Bharathi', Hats off, I love all his Kavithai.. and happy to see daffodils listed there..Glad to know more about you UMA.. and when comes to MOM, 'Mom is God'.. you are absolutely right..

and special thanks to Christopher for highlighting Uma with a wonderful interview..

Someone is Special

Anonymous said...

Uma,

you are a gem poet.

UmaAnandane said...

Thanks buddies for your encouragements and nice words .
Hope and I am happy to have you all treasured as good friends :)

Thank you Jingle and Christopher for giving me this opportunity to be known

Madeleine said...

Interesting interview. My blog is about writing including poetry haiku and prose, so i hope that doesn't mean I'm trying to be a jack of all trades LOL! :O)

UmaAnandane said...

@Madeleine- lol..I meant that there should be a little organised look with a little indexing.Thats what I meant madeleine..by the way I have another blog which has maths and writings in it like you do :)

sweet pea. said...

thanks for your comment =)

Bluebell Books said...

This is divine!

lynnaima said...

Nice reading about you Uma :) I do enjoy your blogs, oh the math part does leave my head swimming at times, but I do enjoy passing through.

Thanks for this interview! :)