Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Meet the poet on Wednesday

     Poetry is an orphan of silence. The words never quite equal the experience behind them."
~Charles Simic 

Hello Jingle girls and boys, welcome to another Wednesday at Jingle Poetry.

I am Blaga and today I will introduce you to one of our very talented members - Angela Cohan.

Enjoy the interview ...


Tell us a little about yourself…

I’m a mother of two teenagers.  I’ve written five short stories and several poems.

What does your blog means to you?

I started a poetry blog last year when I noticed that I was writing more poems.

Your first poem?

My first poem was about the Iraq war. 


The Ravages of War


The Afghani women are my sisters
I feel their pain
I share their sorrows
I see their children’s faces
Their disappointments
Their uncertain future…

The Iraqi people were our enemies
Yet they share our destiny
I see their children’s innocent faces
in the ravages of the war that lingers,
Takes away lives and their livelihood
and compromises their future…

Is there a style of writing you prefer?

I prefer free style and free flowing writing. 

Do you write more than just poetry?

I’m taking a memoir writing class and my next project will be a biography.

What is the favorite poem you have written so far?

A poem about my grandfather 

The Thief of Time
 
He smiles his weak smile
As he reclines on his favorite chair
His receding white hair is a symbol of a long life
and every wrinkle on his kind face tells a
different story
But at time his memory fails him
He forgets names and dates
Yet he is an eternal optimist
and my favorite person in the world
I sit next to him and stare into his wise brown
eyes
"I remember you.  You're my oldest grandchild"
he says to me
"Yes grandpa.
Tell the thief of time to stay away from you
Tell it to give us more time together
I want to hear more stories about your life
I long to hear you recount the stories of
Moses and Joseph again
Please stay with me grandpa
Our family will fall apart if you go away
Grandma will fall into a deep despair
and your grandchildren will slowly but surely
forget your stories
Grandpa--stay with me."
It breaks my heart when he turns to me and asks
"Who are you?"


When do you write the most?

I usually get my ideas late at night and it takes several days for a poem to come together.

Do you have a favorite poet or a favorite poem?

I love Emerson’s poems. 

To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better;
To know that even one life has breathed easier
because you lived--this is to have success.

by Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you enjoy reading books? What are the best books you have ever read?
  I enjoy reading—it’s one of my favorite pastimes. “The Da Vinci Code” is one of the best books 
I’ve read.  I recently read John Steinbeck’s “East of Eden” and thought that 
the writing was exquisite. 

What poets in the blog-sphere do you like to read or visit most?

I enjoy visiting all the poets in the Jingle poet parking lot.  
 I think everyone has something unique to offer.

What are your inspirations? Where do you feel most comfortable to write?

  I usually get inspired by a word or a phrase that I’ve heard and think it would work well in a poem. 
 Believe it or not I like to write in bed.  

You have been a part of Jingle Poetry. What are the benefits of participating in it?  

It’s a pleasure to be a participant in Jingle Poetry Potluck.  There is so much talent in our group.

What advice would you give someone who is interested in starting a poetry blog?

My advice to anyone who is interested in starting a poetry blog would be to just do it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Wishes for a great day from me - Blaga and our guest - Angela Cohan,

Here I would like to share one more poem of Angela. 

Chasing rainbows

It’s on cold winter nights
when I’m afraid of my own shadow
I have stared failure in the face
and have come out on the dark side of the moon
At times shame swells in my parched throat
Even though I have had my share of broken promises,
I still count my blessings
I think about the labyrinth of fear surrounding me
I long to rescue my lost, wounded soul
and rise above the melancholy state of this world
but I know it will require much patience to accomplish
this improbable feat
I pray for miracles everyday as I struggle to keep my head
above the water
I know I won’t give up hope even as my world
crumbles around me
and I have promised myself to never stop chasing rainbows


That was all for today dear readers. Stay tuned for next week and Christopher's next introduction to another poet. Until then, stay safe and have fun.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~



15 comments:

Butterflies of time said...

Awesome! Thanks Blaga for introducing another lovely poet from among us.Loved the poem showcased here"chasing rainbows" and the one about your grandpa ,Angela , it brought tears to my eyes.Lovely to know more about you. All the best for your next venture.

JamieDedes said...

Bravo! Excellent interview of Angela, Blaga, and a fine choice.

Angela it is good to get to know you better. Amazing that you are so productive with two teens still in the house. Well done ...

Chim's World of Literature said...

This is really great from Jingle to interview the poets from the group, its true what Angela said here are really amazing talent and i myself have come across so many beautiful poems...
Goodluck with ur future endeavours Angela..

Wellspring Of The Soul said...

"Chasing Rainbows," beautiful analogy of our fears and challenges of courage to continuously chase our rainbows, even from out of the darkness. Very captivating work of art expressed by the written word. Thanks.

Celestial Dreamz said...

very captivating ...thanks for sharing.

Catfish Tales said...

What a lovely poetess - who looks to me strikingly like Jackie O! (Onassis).

Your reads are thoughtfully provocative, Angela, and your spirit wonderfully real. Thanks for sharing. You inspire me too!

Andy said...

I really enjoy these showcases offered up by Jingle Poetry

Nice work Angela. Thanks for sharing.

eclipseofthemoon said...

Great work, nice to meet you Angela :)

Jingle said...

you look cool,

Angela,

the 2nd poem speaks to me.
excellent job.

keep it up...

jingle

lunawitch15 said...

Angela I knew you were talanted, but How you find time to write such beautiful things must be an endeavor all in itself!

You deserve High praise!

Luna

lunawitch15 said...

Angela I knew you were talanted, but How you find time to write such beautiful things must be an endeavor all in itself!

You deserve High praise!

Luna

angelacohan321 said...

Thank you all for your encouraging and lovely comments.

I feel so lucky to be among such wonderful friends.

best,
Angela

liv2write2day said...

Glad to read Angela's interview. And what a beautiful setting to inspire poetry. Thanks, Blaga and Angela.

azfree said...

It's great to learn more about Angela. Great interview and lovely poetry. Thanks!

fiveloaf said...

great to get to know you better angela..