Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

SUNDAY RALLY DISPTACH, 03/13/2011

Sunday Rally Dispatch is a collection of news updates of interest to our poet-blogger community members.  Your contributions from your area of the world, your activities, or your interests are welcome. Please forward them to Jamie Dedes of Musing by Moonlight at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Contributions are subject to editorial discretion and space constraints. Feedback welcome.

ON THIS DAY: In 1900 the poet Giorgos Seferis (Geōrgios Seferiádēs ) was born. He died in 1971 and is one of the more significant of the twentieth century Greek poets and a Nobel laureate (1963, literature). He studies in Smyrna, Athens, and Paris and traveled widely as a diplomat for the Royal Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He was also an essayist.


Untitled Poem from the Book of Exercises
by Georgia Seferis

Flowers of the rock facing the green sea
With veins that remind me of other loves
Glowing in the slow fine rain,
Flowers of the rock, figures
That came when no one spoke and spoke to me
That let me touch them after the silence
Among pine-trees, oleanders, and plane-trees.


Photo links to Morganna's shop

MULTI-TALENTED MORAGANNA (LISBETH’S GARDEN):  A mini-interview with a poet who pulls together art, craft, poetry, and spirituality into a literal garden of delight.

JAMIE: You've talked a bit on your blog about the triggers that initiated your adventures in poetry and blogging. Please expand on that a bit.
MORGANNA: I've been writing poetry since I was a little girl. About 5 years ago, I became interested in reaching a larger audience with my writing. I tried getting it published, but was unsuccessful. I was spending a lot of time and money on stamps, paper, and envelopes. After a year or so, it dawned on me that maybe I wasn't getting published because my poetry wasn't very good. The woman running one of the contests I submitted poetry to was kind enough to give me a critique and it really opened my eyes to some things I needed to change. I got some books on poetry and writing and started reading. One of those books was The Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver, which I have written about before. I started trying to actively incorporate meter into my poetry and experiment with new forms. Then, almost 2 years ago, I started my blog. I felt my writing was improved enough to start to share it, but I wanted an easier and simpler method than submitting my writing to publishers. The idea of reaching my audience directly was quite appealing, too. I started my blog as a place to write about gardening and post my poetry. It has grown from there.

JAMIE: You have done well synthesizing art (gardening and poetry) and crafts (tassel making), Buddhism and Christianity. Would you talk about how your eclectic interests enrich or influence your poetry?

MORGANNA: I think my eclectic interests enrich my poetry by giving me a wide variety of images to draw on to illustrate the emotions and feelings I want to convey through my poetry.

JAMIE: You clearly love reading and good literature. What is your all-time favorite book and why?
MORGANNA: From the moment I learned to read more than one book, I have not had a favorite book. I love almost every book that I read, and I learn something from every single one, even the ones I don't like or don't finish. I have favorite authors, but even then I cannot choose among them to pick my absolute favorite.

JAMIE: What are you learning from blogging?
I am learning about writing something fit for other people to see every day.
MORGANNA: This year I have taken on the WordPress.com Post-a-Day challenge. I have missed a few days, but I still try very hard to post something every single day. I am learning about writing quickly, and how to be inspired every day, and how to add regular features so I always have something to post. I am also learning about the things that people like to read and what draws the biggest number of people to read my blog.

NEW BLOG FOR BLAGA: Blaga Todorova (formerly at Scent of my heart) has moved to Broken saparkles.

JAMIE: What's the story behind the blog title?
BLAGA: There isn't that big of a story actually. I was frustrated that I couldn't figure out the technical part to fix my old blog. There was this break moment, after hours of trying different things, I decided to have a look at few old poems I kept to re-write. I picked up Broken sparkles and after I did few corrections, it was a time I realized I can make a new blog and the name seemed just right. Since the Scent of my heart wasn't working properly, why wasn't I trying to mend the Broken Sparkles starting fresh? Here is where I want to thank you Jamie, Jingle, Olivia and Kavita for all the support from the other day. It meant a lot to me! 

JAMIE: Recently, one of your poems was picked up by an online literary magazine. Tell us about that. Does it help to make you feel affirmed as a poet?
BLAGA: It's strange when people call me a poet, a writer ... it's nice, no doubt, but I have the feeling there is much more to do before I can call myself a poet! My poem published in an online magazine was a very special event to happen, and yes, it was a little sign my writing is liked .. I hope I will improve a lot in the future and will have many other publications. For now, thanks to Marissa Mullins blog, Paucis Verbis, for this great gesture.

JAMIE: That same magazine has asked you to write a feature. When and where will it be published and what is the topic?
BLAGA: I am working on it now, the troubles with the blog delayed me, there isn't a deadline, when I'm ready it will be posted at Whippoorwill. The feature is going to be a post about Goddesses connected to poetry. I'm just finishing a little research on the theme. and I hope I can support my thesis with my words.

THIS REPORT IN FROM SiS (Few Miles): 
HAIKU CHALLENGE: What else one could expect in a challenge as a host other than cheerful participants. In that note, I was blessed with many in Haiku Challenge, thanks for all the sweet hearts who challenged at my place. I hope to get the same support every year as well. Results HERE
Special thanks for Jingle Poetry for helping me to reach as many poets as possible. I am blessed to be one of the poets of Jingle Poetry. Thanks for all the SmileS JP...
200 POSTS: When I started my blog, I never thought I would write 200 posts, but it happened within a short span.  The journey have acknowledged contest wins both in poetry and fiction, crossed few hurdles, few hurting and am happy to stand here as SiS. In this sweet journey, I had made many precious friends. I also thank Ji for penning my 200th post, a noble soul found in blogosphere. I specially thank Thursday Poets Rally and Jingle Poetry for all the smiles and all the sweet hearts who helped me reach this position. Thanks thanks thanks…
CALLING ALL STORYTELLERS: Here's your chance to create some magic. Disney invites writers to pitch an original idea for children's stories. Their aim is to encourage new talent in India and to offer a strong platform to bring alive creativity. MORE Here's your chance to create some magic. Disney invites writers to pitch an original idea for children's stories. The aim of Disney Pitchkiaow is to encourage new talent in India and to offer a strong platform to bring alive creativity.
Thanks to Olivia for this contribution.

SCRIPT TEASE: Two challenges and one competition:

ScriptFrenzy - So many of our community participated in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), November 2011.  On April 1, 2011 the NaNoWriMo folks bring us the fifth annual ScriptFrenzy. It’s the same concept as NaNoWriMo except this time you write a 100-page draft script instead of a fifty-thousand word draft novel. All the rules are on the site. There’s also a lot of instructive material as well, which you still have time to get through before the start date. There’s no charge to participate, but the effort is supported by our donations. (This event is open internationally.) This is a challenge, not a contest, and a tool for getting passed writer’s block. Details HERE.

ScriptFrenzy Young Writers Program - “Young” here is defined as seventeen years old or younger. Details for kids, families, and educators are on the site. There’s no charge to participate, but the effort is supported by donations. (This event is open internationally.) Details HERE

Screenwriter’s Challenge 2011 - This annual event, the eighth for NYC Midnight, is a bit different. It has two rounds. Writers are assigned randomly to “heats,” which are each given a genre, subject, and character. You have eight days to complete a script of no longer than twelve pages based on the assignment. The first round starts on May 13. The early entry deadline is April 7, 2011. The early entry free is US$39. Complete details on this competition HERE

TO HAVE LOVED AND LOST:
Write a poem – Haiku, sonnet, ode or any other form of poetry of your choice.
Topic : To have loved and lost
Post it on your blog and embed the widget provided
Submit your entries at our SHOWCASE under Section: WOMEN & Category: Poetry
There is no limit to number of Entries and last date for submission of Entries is 20th March 2011.
5 winners to get author signed copies of the Novel ‘Love On The Rocks’
3 poems with a  maximum number of votes (FAVES) on the showcase to be featured on our magazine.
Complete details on this competition HERE.
Thanks to SiS for this contribution.


beholder

@ JinglePoetry ... We're all a-Twitter 
Come follow us ... and we'll follow you.  

IT’S OFFICIAL: 
JP is on FaceBook. Link to us HERE

JINGLE POETRY POTLUCK, WEEK 26
STARTS TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. CENTRAL
EVERYONE IS INVITED…
INLINKZ WILL STAY OPEN FOR 72 HOURS.

2 computers 
Please email news announcements to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com.
Please forward photograph or illustrations and include all necessary links.

Thank you!


6 comments:

Someone is Special said...

Jamie,

Thanks for the smiles.. Very happy man..

Someone is Special

Olivia said...

Thanks Jamie Sweets for including this bit..

Here's the link if anyone wishes to join in!
http://www.disney.in/pitchkiaow/

Love all
xox

brokensparkles said...

Jamie thanks for the info about me. Loved reading more about Morganna, and the poet Giorgos Seferis was a delight! Wonderful news again!

Jingle said...

enjoyed reading the news, especially on Someone is special, blaga, you guys are very advanced and doing exceptionally well...

thanks for the writing challenge information, it is handy to poets who are interested.

Happy Sunday to you all..

See you tonight,

Time: potluck may go up one hour ahead of last week's post time, due to American summer savings time whi begins today, thanks..

JamieDedes said...

Thanks all for your comments.

Don't know how the Disney link dropped out. Thanks, Olivia. I will put it in again.

Re: ScriptFrenzy - if anyone participates, let me know. We can post who is doing it so that folks can "buddy" as we did with NaNoWriMo.

See you tonigh at Potluck.

Jamie

BlogJunta said...

Thanks a lot to all and especially to SIS for sharing the contest details and also special thanks to Jingle poetry.