Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

POETRY RALLY DISPATCH, 03/26/2011

Sunday Rally Dispatch is a collection of news updates of interest to our poet-blogger community members.  Your contributions from your area of the world, your activities, or your interests are welcome. Please forward them to Jamie Dedes of Musing by Moonlight at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Contributions are subject to editorial discretion and space constraints. Feedback welcome.

ON THIS DAY: In 2006 Ian Hamilton Finlay died. He was born in 1925 and was a Scottish poet, writer, artist and gardener. In 1963, Finlay published Rapel, his first collection of concrete poetry (poetry in which the layout and typography of the words contributes to its overall effect), and it was as a concrete poet that he first gained wide renown. Much of this work was issued through his own Wild Hawthorn Press. Eventually he began to compose poems to be inscribed into stone, incorporating these sculptures into the natural environment. MORE 

Quotable Finlay:
“People have always found me challenging – I don’t know why, when I am only being myself. I don’t understand why they find me so annoying, but they do. It is a pity, but that is how it is.”

TERI CASPER (Teri’s Mandala and Haiku) is new to our community and offers something rather unique in that she combines haiku with mandala. She is both poet and artist. Teri has kindly consented to an interview with Dispatch. We hope you enjoy it. You can also get a better idea of how and why she combines haiku and Mandala by linking HERE

JAMIE: How long have you been blogging and what have you learned from the experience?
TERI: In 2005 I had renewed my interest in art and while looking around the Internet I discovered many art blogs and wonderful artists, so I joined Everyday Matters, an art group, and started my own art blog, Teri’s Painted Daisies. I soon discovered that my blog was a wonderful place to share my art and receive positive reinforcement. In turn I learned so much from other artists and am still learning.  Art has become a dominant force in my life and I embrace it.  I take my sketchbook everywhere with me because I never know where the next inspiration will come from.  (I even sketch in church. People are so interesting.)  

I love the challenge of a new prompt. I have become very involved in Blogland: I post everyday at my art blog, usually twice-a-week at my mandala-haiku blog. I manage two group blogs: Drawing in Church and Twenty Minute Challenge.  I'm also a contributor to Nature Sketchers and facebook.  No wonder my husband always says I am on the computer all the time! He could be right.  LOL!

JAMIE: Has poetry and art always gone together for you or is it something that has recently evolved?
TERI: My first response is 'no it hasn't', but then I remembered a time when I was about nine.  My Dad always took a nap after supper so one time I drew him while he slept and wrote a poem about it.  I was so proud but everyone laughed at it and that put a damper on my artistic/poetic experience.  I lived in a left-brain world for a long time with my career (registered nurse), but my creative side was always trying to get out with different crafts, art and some poetry. (I have to thank thanks Rod MeKuen’s influence for that). My mandalas and haiku took a vacation for most of 2010, but in January 2011 I renewed my interest in mandalas - I needed that Zen experience again - and haiku and discovered all the wonderful haiku sites to join (thanks to Jingle) and enjoy.  Everyone writes such beautiful poetry. I appreciate all the inspiration.

JAMIE: What exactly triggered your interest in mandalas?
TERI: My first encounter with mandalas was in an art article. I decided to try one.  I absolutely loved doing these and started doing more and more until I decided that they needed their own blog to showcase just them and that happened in 2007.  My mandalas are usually free-form and occasionally symmetrical.  Creating a mandala is a very meditative experience and when I finish one I am always amazed at what form they became.  Sometimes I use a prompt and sometimes the mandala suggests the title.

JAMIE: Do you write poetry in forms other than haiku?  What is it about haiku that draws you?
TERI: I took an art workshop in 2006 and was introduced to haiku (5-7-5).  I totally fell in love with this form and was writing haiku like crazy and attaching it to my art. Someone could name a subject and I instantly said the perfect haiku, which I personally found pretty amazing.  Then a friend introduced me to One Single Impression and the mandalas and haiku got married in March of 2008.  I have no idea what there is about haiku that draws me in, but it is as if it writes itself and is so expressive in such a few words.  I am interested in other forms like haiga and tanka. In fact I tried a tanka for Potluck Poetry this week.  I still have so many things I want to do that I need to live to two hundred years old to try them all!
Thanks, Teri, for a fine interview.

AN INVITATION TO INDIAN ENGLISH POETS FROM Indus Valley, A Tribute to India: inviting contributions for its Fifth National Anthology Series. “This dream collection is charted to evolve as a true window to her immense richness, uniqueness and diversity in all forms of life in that nation. Any theme that reflects national pride, culture, lifestyle, the divine spirits and poetic expressions that deliver a true picture of our nation’s past, present, and future and our message to the world is mot most welcome. The imagination is kept open before poets to deliver the very best of their collection and add beauty to the craft of this anthology series.” Details HERE

SOUL FEATHERS: A poetry anthology by Indigo Dreams, new small press, includes poems by 250 poets ranging from new writers to the very famous.  Carol Ann Duffy, Bob Dylan, Seamus Heaney, Maya Angelou, Benjamin Zephaniah, Leonard Cohen, Sharon Olds...and many more. The profits from the book go to Macmillan Cancer Support [England]. MORE 

POETRY READINGS IN HIGHGATE AT NORTH LONDON: with Myra Schneider, Alan Brownjohn, Martyn Crucefix, Jane Duran and Marth Kapos at Lauderdale House on Thursday 14th April from 8 p.m. - 10 p.m. The reading is organized and hosted by Shanta Acharya. The venue is a short bus ride or twelve minute walk uphill from Archway station. There is parking nearby.

COMING UP IN APRIL: Inaugurated by the Academy of American Poets in 1996, National Poetry Month is now held every April, when publishers, booksellers, literary organizations, libraries, schools and poets around the country band together to celebrate poetry and its vital place in American culture. Thousands of businesses and non-profit organizations participate through readings, festivals, book displays, workshops, and other events. MORE 

JAPAN: A lot of efforts are underway to generate assistance for those suffering illness, hunger, and loss of housing. There are a number of  “charitable organizations” recruiting the assistance of poets and writers. The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation reported recently that they uncovered over 400 bogus charities with online sites for Haitian relief. It is possible that much the same sort of thing is going on now with regard to Japan. Please do you homework and find resources you feel you can trust. One possible source of reference is Charity Navigator.

VOLUNTEER NEEDED: to recruit for Jingle Poetry. Please contact Ji at jinglepoetry@gmail.com
@ JinglePoetry ... We're all a-Twitter 
Come follow us ... and we'll follow you.  
Ghoul 
CONSTANT CONTACT
JP is on facebook. Link to us HERE
3D text 2 
JINGLE POETRY POTLUCK, WEEK 28
STARTS TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. CENTRAL
EVERYONE IS INVITED…
INLINKZ WILL STAY OPEN FOR 72 HOURS.
Email blooms 
Please email news announcements to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com.
Please forward photograph or illustrations and include all necessary links.
Thank you!


7 comments:

Butterflies of time said...

Thank you Jamie , for featuring the Indus Valley anthology invitation here.You are doing a great job. All the best.God bless you.

Jingle said...

awesome new, thanks for the interview on Teri...


you are quite creative here,
keep it up..

Happy Sunday.

Someone is Special said...

Jamie, smiles you rock and as always..

Someone is Special

Rajlakshmi said...

wonderful sunday dispatch...

Teri C said...

Thanks for the interview Jamie, it was fun for me to look back in preparing for this.
Fun to be part of this community.

JamieDedes said...

@ Butterflies - you are quite welcome. My pleasure. Good luck!
@Jingle - thank you! You are kind.
@SiS - you live up to the name Special. :-)
@Rajakshmi - glad you enjoyed
@ Teri - we are happy to have you with us. Wonderful!

Happy Sunday and happy Potluck to all.

Samanthamj said...

Had to check out Teri's blog after reading this interesting interview. Wonderful art and haiku. Love the whole concept. Thanks for sharing.