Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Meet The Poet Wednesday

Welcome to Meet The Poet Wednesday where each week we get to meet one of the poets who have leant their talent and time to Jingle Poetry! This week we get to meet Vinay.



Tell us a little about yourself.

I’m Vinay. Recently, I’ve gone back to using my own name in blog also, so I’m Vinay everywhere now. I’m just a writer trying to become better as each moment passes, looking to explore new forms and find new experimental styles in poetry. Though mainly into poetry, I dab in fiction as well, and sometimes reality checks too. I continue my blogging journey hoping to meet more kindred souls and also make new friends.


Please tell us about your blog and what it means to you? How did you come up with the name?

My blog hasn’t been in its current location since long. I shifted from Blogspot to Wordpress recently for personal reasons, and have retained the name after shift too. What my blog means to me? It’s my second life, if you wish. It’s where I breathe when I can’t in my real life and where I find solace even in the strongest of pain. I’d very much be incomplete without it. “I Rhyme Without Reason” is the name of my blog. It just implies my love for rhyme is unconditional. It reflects my love for poetry, and that which I write spontaneously.

 
Can you remember writing your first poem?

I most definitely can. It was in free hour of 5th grade. A butterfly glided above me and I just scribbled what came to my mind. I hadn’t noticed the rhyme till my teacher pointed out to me. Since then, I’ve written for a lot of contests and got a poem published in a newspaper column too. This is that first poem.


Isn’t this very moment
The most important thing
Life changes so quickly
Be it sweet or with sting
A new life will be born
Beauty from a cocoon
Taking to the blue sky
A winged beauty soon
Graceful in its slow flight
A sight for all to admire
Those colorful little wings
I sometimes do desire
Such moments I do feel
Beauty to life they bring
This very moment indeed
The most important thing





Is there a style of writing you prefer?

No, not as such, but I do seem to favor haikus a lot these days. Before that, it was acrostics. Before that, it was free verse. I guess it depends on my state of mind.

 
Do you write more than just poetry?

Yes, I don’t like to be restricted to just poetry or just prose, so I dab in both. My stories are usually long and even in them, there is poetry at times. I write stories mostly in first person, both perspectives, so sometimes it confuses and boggles my readers too, but I find it intriguing to write prose from another perspective as well. If not first person, I take up third person usually.

 
What is the favorite poem you have written so far?

Gosh, that’s difficult. I’ve written over a thousand poems in my blog. To choose a favorite from them would be tough, but to me it would remain these two.

Confinement: http://leonnyes.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/confinement-2/ coz it got me my first Acrostic Only winner’s badge and was I feel the start of my improvement in Acrostics. It remains one of my favorite forms and I still continue to develop on it, guided by Amias.

Why Should I Not Smile, When I Believe in me? : http://leonnyes.wordpress.com/2008/06/23/why-should-i-not-smile-when-i-believe-in-me/ coz it helped a dear friend overcome a big hurdle, and I could pull him out from the jaws of death. It made it very special.

 

When do you write the most?

If you mean a particular time I prefer to write, then no… I don’t have any such. I like spontaneity in my writing. I don’t take much time to think before putting it down. So any time my muse chooses to make her presence known, I pen it down.
 

Do you have a favorite poet or a favorite poem?

Yes, I love William Wordsworth and his poetry. I read when I can, but I’ve not got a collection of his poems in a book as yet. My favorite poem of all time of course is Leisure by William Henry Davies. I remember it well from my school days, as I’d to memorize it for recitation and it has just got a cozy corner in my heart after that!

 
Do you enjoy reading books? What are the best books you have ever read? 

Yes, I love to read books and enjoy them immensely. I prefer fiction and tend to deviate toward murder mysteries a lot. Dixon, Keene, Agatha Christie, Lee Child and Jack Higgins are my favorite authors in that genre. I am also a big fan of Rowling and have read every book of the Harry Potter series at least ten to fifteen times. I’ve read a lot of books and can’t say that so-and-so is the best, because each author and genre has its own unique attraction to it.
 

What poets in the blog-sphere do you like to read or visit most?

I’ve been in the blog-sphere for 4 and a quarter years now. I don’t wish to separate the blogs as most visited/least visited etc. coz they’ve all seen me sometimes at a stretch without missing a single blog post, or at times missing a lot at a time. Whoever I read, I read the poetry from my heart and reply to them from what I understood of it. If I didn’t, I usually say so, or just encourage them to poem on!
 

What are your inspirations? Where do you feel most comfortable to write?

I am inspired by the world around me. I think it would be appropriate to put that I’m most inspired by melancholy. It seems to be part of most of my poetry and I’m quite comfortable with it too. Though in poetry, I try to explore every emotion. I write most comfortable from the comfort of my home at night. Sitting in this stiff chair and looking outside into the night sky, I love it when my worries and fears disappear into that starry blanket. It makes my mind calm and composed.
 

You have been a part of Jingle Poetry Potluck. What are the benefits of participating in it? Are you a member of any other poetry communities?

Yes, I’ve been a part of Jingle Poetry Potluck since its inception. I think the most beneficial part of the potluck has been the vivid hue of poets who have visited my blog. Their appreciation and critique has played a big part in my poetic growth as well. Other than the traffic, the themes of course give me an urge to write, so my muse doesn’t go starved any time. I write for a lot of memes, but not like an official as I am here at Jingle Poetry. Doing Review Tuesdays has been an experience in itself, and I look forward to continuing my presence there.
 

What advice would you give someone who is interested in starting a poetry blog? 

Poetry isn’t rocket science like most people think. It’s quite easy and interesting to write poetry I feel. If you feel inclined toward poetry, try it. You don’t have to look at others and compare, or go to heights of forms like sonnets at the beginning (or anytime even!). Read other poets, maybe you can find inspiration there. If you don’t seem to find it, then wait for your muse to arrive. Patience is needed in blogging, so just don’t listen if someone is trying to make u give up. Most of all - just have fun with it.


13 comments:

Jingle said...

lovely responses, Vinay..

wow, 5th grade poem, well done.

I can see that you have skills fresh starters lack..

keep it up.

brokensparkles said...

Such moments I do feel
Beauty to life they bring
This very moment indeed
The most important thing ...

Keep bringing beautiful moments
to our poetry life Leo!

Lovely answers!

Jingle said...

Thanks for posting, Christopher...

Best wishes for your day.

stay blessed,
Happy Wednesday.

Rashmi said...

This was a wonderful interview....
Leo sorry Vinay it was nice to know you more....Thanks for sharing...
Jingle thanks for this wonderful interview.

Someone is Special said...

the most inspiring interview I ever read.. Vinay, you are rocking... SmileS..

Someone is Special

Nanka said...

I like the clarity of your thoughts Vinay and absolutely sound and sane advice!! Also commendable are the appropriate recommendations and guidance that you share, which you have gathered over so many years of patient blogging!!
Wish you always the very best!!
Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy the posts! Looking forward to many more (:The things given are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.
Wedding Dress
Wedding dresses this season for the details of the deal more attention. Designer for the details of the deal is simple continuation of the overall shape of fashion, more emphasis on the shoulder, neck and waist of the design, engraving, embroidery, flowers and other elements are widely used.

fiveloaf said...

so now you are exposed my soft spoken friend leo... so sorry vinay haha! great to know more about you!

Boonie S said...

Fascinating post. Thanks for this.

All the best, Boonie

The Fool said...

Nice to read the interview of a blogger who was one of the first to comment on my earliest foray into literary blogging and whose works I have been following for close to an year now.

JamieDedes said...

Extremely fine interview and responses from Vinay.Thank you!

Well done and most enjoyable and sensible. Vinay, I love your fifth grade poem. Lovely and wise even then.

Poem on ...

Rekha said...

Nice journey and a little peek into the mind of the master of Haiku Heights...I look forward to those sessions...as Haikus fascinate me more than other forms of poetry. :)
Vinay or Leo...the rose by any other name would smell just as sweet...

liv2write2day said...

I so enjoyed this interview. Vinay is a wonderful contributer to our poetry communities.