Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

SUNDAY RALLY DISPATCH, 02/27/2011

Sunday Rally Dispatch is a collection of news updates of interest to our poet-blogger community members.  Your contributions from your area of the world, your activities, or your interests are welcome. Please forward them to Jamie Dedes of Musing by Moonlight at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Contributions are subject to editorial discretion and space constraints. Feedback welcome.

ON THIS DAY: The American poet and educator, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was born in 1807. He died in 1882. His work works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five Fireside Poets. MORE [Wikipedia] 

Elliot’s Oak
by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Thou ancient oak! Whose myriad leaves are loud
With sounds of unintelligible speech,
Sounds as of surges on a shingly beach,
Or multitudinous murmurs of a crowd;
With some mysterious gift of tongues endowed,
Though speakest a different dialect to each;
To me a language that no man can teach,
Of a lost race, long vanished like a cloud.
For underneath they shade, in days remote,
Seated like Abraham at eventide
Beneath the oaks of Mamre, the unknown
Apostle of the Indians, Eliot, wrote
His Bible in a language that hath died
And is forgotten, save by the alone.

CONGRATULATIONS TO BLAGA TODOROVA (Scent of my heart): Her poem, What if …, which was a JP Potluck contribution was picked-up by the online literary publication, Whippoorwill Journal  



RICHARD NORTH BRINGING A LITTLE LAUGHTER TO OUR DAYS: with his new website Witty Snippets.  People might like this one, says Richard, "Breaking news: the working men’s club burned down last night. Investigators report that they should not have given Elisha the night off."

AN INTERVIEW WITH BILL COOK ON THE ACCEPTANCE OF ONE OF HIS POEMS BY A REGIONAL ONLINE POETRY MAGAZINE:
Jamie: Have you ever submitted poetry to a publication before? What made you decide to go ahead and submit a poem to this magazine?
Bill: I submitted several sonnets a few months ago to an online journal that features poetry employing more formal structures, which were not accepted. Then a friend sent me a link to “Up and Under,” published by the Quick and Dirty Poets of Burlington County. They were open for submission to the Spring 2011 Journal. I submitted a few poems, and am delighted that they accepted one for publication, Lost.

Jamie: Does this victory make you feel more inclined to continue pursuing publication?
Bill: It does. It provides another venue for sharing what I write, and another goal for writing. I will begin researching other similar publications, and submit more. Who knows what will happen?
           
Jamie: How does involvement with the JP community help you with your writing goals?
Bill: Actually, in some ways Jingle got me started. I began my poetry blog with the expectation that no one would read it except me. Somehow Jingle found my blog and connected me to the Thursday Rally. For the first time I had a forum of other people with which to share poetry.  It has been fun and encouraging. That experience is my foundation for stepping into other venues. So Jingle: Thank  you for your work! 
           
Jamie: Do you have current plans to produce a chapbook?
Bill: Not at this time. I am happy to just write, share, and read what others like myself are producing. I probably will at some future date.

AN INTERVIEW WITH KIM NELSON ON THE PUBLICATION OF HER CHAPBOOK:
Jamie: When and why did you decide to go from posting to publication?
Kim: I’ve written poetry my whole life, and have dozens of handwritten books in a closet no one else access. My poetry was a “private party.”  I wrote magazine articles, two gardening/horticulture books and a mental health book for public consumption. A couple of years ago my previous writing commitments began to wind down and I yearned to leave behind non-fiction for a time, and to challenge myself a bit. Putting my poetry out into the world seemed like a good way to accomplish those goals, and so was born KIM NELSON WRITESAfter building a collection of new works and getting some positive feedback, I began submitting to chapbook and journal competitions. I sent out over thirty manuscripts and poetry packets and felt really fortunate when Finishing Line Press offered publication.

Jamie: Are you self-publishing or have you found a publisher? If self-publishing, which service are you using and why? Are you pleased so far?  If you have found a publisher, what was the process? How do you feel about it and would you go this route again or self-publish?
Kim: Somewhat traditional, I have never investigated the self-publishing route. For each of my books I slogged through the query and proposal processes, working with editors when the manuscripts needed refinement. I highly recommend Poet’s Market and Writer’s Market, edited by Robert Lee Brewer, as sources of information for others who want to jump into the publishing world. Each is filled with resources, tips and submissions guidelines. I also subscribe to Poets & Writers and Writer’s Digest in order to stay abreast of the current market. As long as I continue to find success in the traditional publishing milieu, I will not likely pursue self-publication since distribution and marketing are difficult when one goes it alone.

Jamie: In addition to our virtual community of poets, do you belong to any neighborhood poetry groups? What is your experience with them?
Kim: I have a small circle of friend-writers with whom I exchange work for critique and support. This works well for me. I would suggest that others find a similar arrangement so that constructive criticism and guidance for growth and improvement comes through, along with the kudos we tend to share with one another in our virtual community.

BELLDAY POETRY PRIZE: 2,000 USD and publication (25 books). Open to international submissions, but manuscripts must be in English and 60-90 pages of original poetry in any style. Work must not be published in any book or chapbook, but may contain poems that have appeared in print or on the Internet. Submissions must be postmarked March 15, 2011. For more details and contest information, link HERE

THE NAOMI LONG MADGETT POETRY AWARED: This competition is open to African-American poets only. The manuscript should total approximately 60-90 pages, exclusive of table of contents or other optional introductory material.  Deadline March 31, 2011. Complete details HERE. 

TRISHA (Sharmishta Basu's poetries) ANNOUNCES TWO NEW BLOGS:

Earth in Black and White: Trisha says, “It’s for everyone who wants to tell something to us all. The hope is to create a small display board where we can share things that move us, things we don’t want in our earth, and things we do want. That board will be at the same place every week, accessible to everyone from every angle- to read, to discuss, or to join. Every thing will have to be spontaneous, voluntary. If someone wants then s/he can add a little explanatory note with his/her URL in the comment.” 

Ethereal Heights: “The sole intention of this blog is to create an oasis for those people who are desperately looking for some foothold in this often cruel world. I want to create a small Shangri-La here, an abode of peace, spiritualism and devotion, where every battered soul can enter with the desire to heal self or others. The participation here also will be spontaneous- fully spontaneous."

Thank you, Trisha, and good luck with this worthy effort.

@ JinglePoetry ... We're all a-Twitter 
Come follow us ... and we'll follow you.  
****
IT’S OFFICIAL: 
JP is now on FaceBook. Link to us HERE
****
JINGLE POETRY POTLUCK, WEEK 24
STARTS TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. CENTRAL
EVERYONE IS INVITED…
INLINKZ WILL STAY OPEN FOR 72 HOURS.


Please email news announcements to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com.
Please forward photograph or illustrations and include all necessary links. 




Thank you!


11 comments:

Iwrite4u said...

Well written post! Congrats friends on your growth :)

scentofmyheart said...

Jamie thank you for mentioning me here! Congratulations to all other published poems. I like your choice of poem to share with us. Excellent news as always!

Someone is Special said...

Jamie yet another nice rally dispatch thanks for the smiles.. Hmm.. I forgot to inform you about my 200th post.. :-(. Hmmm

Someone is Special

M.L. Gallagher said...

I so appreciate these Sunday Dispatches and your constant encouragement to write poetry.

And soon... my goal is to get back into my poet's space to share in all the wonder of your work here!

Thanks.

Louise

Jingle said...

So thrilled to see Blaga, Bill Cook, Kim Nelson, and Trisha get highlighted....

This Sunday dispatch is simply thoughtful, rich, and beautiful..

what a treat.

Happy Sunday to you all.

Hope to see you all at potluck tonight.

JamieDedes said...

Thanks everyone for reading and taking the time to comment. I'm so pleased Dispatch is found to be valuable and enjoyable. Please don't forget to send your announcements!

Thanks!

Kim Nelson said...

You are so thoughtful and supportive, Jamie. Thanks for much for the interview and this publication. I am deeply appreciative and thrilled to have found this inspiring virtual community.

liv2write2day said...

I very much enjoyed the interviews with Bill and Kim and congratulate them on their success. And also Trisha on her new blogging efforts. Thanks for keeping us informed, Jamie.

beginningpoetry said...

Congrats to Kim and Trisha. It is a joy to be part of a community of those who love, write, and share poetry! - bill cook

trisha said...

fabulous post, loved the interview.

thanks a lot jamie for the pampering you shower on me and my silly works.

well they do mean a lot to me.

thanks a million times my sweet, priceless friend.

trisha
http://mydomainpvt.wordpress.com/

kenny said...

All sorts of things to look at on the Sunday Dispatch!

OK, my poem 'Earthquake' (http://kolembo.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/earthquake/) is poem of the week 4and20 poetry.

Yey!