Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

SUNDAY RALLY DISPATCH, 02/06/2011

Sunday Rally Dispatch is a collection of news updates of interest to our poet-blogger community members.  Your contributions from your area of the world, your activities, or your interests are welcome. Please forward them to Jamie Dedes of Musing by Moonlight at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Contributions are subject to editorial discretion and space constraints. Feedback welcome.

YEAR OF THE RABBIT (METAL)


HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR 2011

ON THIS DAY: In 1778 the Italian poet-revolutionary, Ugo Foscolo, was born in Greece of an Italian father (Venetian) and a Greek mother. MORE 

A Zacinto by Ugo Foscolo

I’ll never step ashore and feel your beach
The way I felt it as a barefoot child,
Or see you waver in the windy reach
Of goddess-bearing sea.  You were the island
Venus made with her first smile,
Zakynthos, the moment she was born.
No song embraced your leafy sky,
Not even his who sang the fatal storm
And how Ulysses, his misfortunes past
And beautiful with fame sailed home at last.

Some will not return: I too
Offend the powers that be, am banned
From home. Oh maternal land,
My words are all I have to send to you

LAST WEEK IN DISPATCH: We celebrated the birth of the Hindi poet, Jaishankar Prasad.  Since none of his poems were available in translation, SIS (pendownmythought) translated some of Prasad’s work.  Here is another in addition to the one previously published.


Glory of India

Two drops
Beautiful autumn Neelakash
Nisha Neakhrie, Haas was clear
Blowing clean shade path
Sudha river picks sigh
Earth began to thrill to see
Nature could not Muanda eyes
Good Shihlahari came Shashi
Big C drop of nectar mano!
Thanks, SIS! ....  And readers, please don't forget to check out SIS' Haiku Challenge for February.

CALL FOR ENTRIES: The 19th Annual Writer's Digest International Self-Published Book Awards 
Co-sponsored by Book Marketing Works, LLC

CALL FOR ENTRIES 
MORE THAN $17,000 IN PRIZES! DEADLINE:  April 15, 2011.


JinglePoetry@ JinglePoetry ... We're all a-Twitter 
Come follow us ... and we'll follow you.   Thanks to Aleza for getting us set up.
NEW ON THE JP OFFICIALS TEAM: Victoria Ceretto-Slotto (liv2write2day) has replaced Talon and assumed responsibility along with Bill Cook (Poetry Mattersfor Poem of the Week, posted each Friday. I have noted over time that the comments Victoria leaves on our blogs are always thoughtful, never gratuitous. I asked her to share her personal guidelines for commenting with us here today.

VICTORIA: My main guideline (and I try to remember, but you know how it is) is to set the INTENTION when I begin to read to make a conscious effort to understand, to make a helpful comment, and to encourage my fellow poets. I would rather not comment than make a meaningless comment. I try to read objectively without allowing my personal beliefs and so on to interfere in my choice. I try to identify something that I relate to or something about poetry that I've learned by reading the poem.

For the Poem of the Week I read every poem although I came to realize that I cannot expect myself to comment on them all as I tried to do the first go-around.  I try to choose a poem that allows me to comment a bit on style, form, or literary device or whatever can be of use to everyone.

As readers, I think the best gift we can give one another is to read with care, respect, and open-mindedness. Try to avoid comments that show we haven't really read or tried to understand the poem. I would say it's better to read less and understand more than to read a lot without much attention.

As writers, I think the important thing is to allow a bit of who we are and what is important to us to shine through.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to the questions, Victoria!

NEW ON JP POETRY POTLUCK: Starting next week Aleza Freeman (Beyond My Window) will replace Amanda (buttercup600) and collaborate with Kavita (How I write is mine ...) each week to develop themes, write posts, and set-up InLinkz for Potluck. The news in the Freeman household is a publishing company, Big Doodle Head, which will publish a children’s book on which Aleza and her husband, Howard Freeman, are collaborating. Aleza is the author and Howard is the illustrator.

JAMIE: Tell us about Big Doodle Head. What inspired you to go with your own publishing company rather than try to find a publisher?
ALEZA: Insanity -- We're both utterly insane! No, I'm kidding...sort of. I did research into publishing companies, and originally intended to send queries, but I kept hearing that getting published is 98% luck and 2% perspiration. The more and more I read about self-publishing, the more and more I realized, “Hey, we can totally do this.” Plus, Howard and I like the idea of maintaining control over the product. We feel we have the tools to do it. Eventually, we want to expand Big Doodle Head to include a line of activity books to inspire creativity in kids. We might even publish other people's children's books.
JAMIE: Tell us what inspired your book. Have you guys been entertaining your little one with your own stories, poems, and pictures?
ALEZA: Well our son DOES love books and reading. We read to him every night before bed, though it never actually occurred to me to read my poems to him! But truthfully, Howard and I started working on this before Evan was even a gleam in our eye. I still remember sitting in our living room in my pajamas writing a lot of the poems. Once Evan was born, I became distracted with motherhood, so the book took a back shelf, so to speak, for some time. Now that Evan is almost three, we are focusing on getting it finished. We decided to name the book Candy Store at the Edge of the Galaxy after one of the poems in the book. Whenever Evan sees my husband's illustrations for the book, he giggles.
JAMIE: What's it like to collaborate artistically with your own spouse? Does it complicate marriage?
ALEZA: On one of our first dates, we sat at Howard's coffee table and colored with crayons all night. His roommate was there with his girlfriend, and they were both like, "Wow, they're made for each other." We knew almost immediately we both valued creativity. We're both Pisces, for what it's worth. We're both super imaginative and silly. We also both work full time and do freelance, so it's not always easy to find time to work on artistic collaborations. Sometimes, a gentle reminder to finish a poem or a drawing for the book can easily be perceived as nagging in marriage-land. So we try to give each other space to work on it when we can. That's part of the reason it's taking so long to get the book done. But, we are aiming to publish it by May, so now we have a deadline.
JAMIE: Since your day job requires you to write, how do you maintain the energy and motivation to work on your blog and your book come evening.
ALEZA: I guess I never thought about it. Writing for me is like breathing. I just sort of do it. It's natural. It brings me peace. It's both an escape and a way to feel grounded all at once. I love making something from nothing. I'm also very fortunate to have a supportive husband who encourages me to create.
Thank you, Aleza, for taking the time for this interview! 

TRIBUTES OF SONIA, THE SECOND FALL: Riika Infinity’s latest will go on sale on February13 will be available for purchase at Lulu and Scribed as an E-Book. Says Riika, “After 5,000 years of waiting, events after the first fall, a new test is about to begin. A young lady woke up and realized she had lost her memory of the past and goes upon a journey with her brother and his clan, The Infamous Thief Clan of Aries to find out about what happened in the past and operations they had taken to earn a living from.
A fateful meeting, the celebration of the flowers, a promise turns into reality, a war that will change everything, the fate of two countries will be put to a test, and will you move forward or stop at this moment of time to give up everything?” MORE


LATE BREAKING NEWS/9 A.M. PST FROM THOR SMITH (North Texas Haiku): From Thor's home, Dallas/FortWorth, Texas, U.S.A., which is hosting the SuperBowl (football) this year, a senryu.
Senryū (川柳?, literally 'river willow') is a Japanese form of short poetry similar to haiku in construction: three lines with 17 or fewer total morae (or "on", often translated as syllables, but see the article on onji for distinctions). Senryū tend to be about human foibles while haiku tend to be about nature, and senryū are often cynical or darkly humorous while haiku are more serious. Unlike haiku, senryū do not include a kireji (cutting word), and do not generally include a kigo, or season word. [Wikipedia]
Towels and Cheese by Thor Smith
Green yellow and black
Terrible towels twirling
Hords of cheese heads swam 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TALENTED POETS!
Please be sure to pop by their sites and wish the well.

February 2, Cesar gealogo:cesargealogo.com
February 5, Marlee-I Mystic: http://mysticmarleei.wordpress.com
February 21, Lisa: http://gunter83.wordpress.com/
February 22, JamieDedes http://musingbymoonlight.com/
February 28, William at http://www.williamm49.blogspot.com/
Thanks to Ji for the list of birthdays!

THURSDAY POETS RALLY
Week 38 is scheduled for Feb 17-23, 2011

JINGLE POETRY POTLUCK, WEEK 21
STARTS TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. CENTRAL
EVERYONE IS INVITED...
INLINKZ WILL STAY OPEN FOR 72 HOURS.

Please email news announcements to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com.
Please forward photograph or illustrations and include all necessary links. 
Thank you!


10 comments:

Someone is Special said...

Jamie you are rocking..

Someone is Special

RiikaInfinityy said...

Woah great great news! Thank for the feature :)~

JamieDedes said...

@SIS
@Riika

Thank you! :-D

Jingle said...

Thanks for featuring Victoria and Aleza,
Glad to know their work or achievement behind the scene...

Victoria is an honest and thoughtful comments maker, cheers.

JamieDedes said...

Jingle, yes Victoria does indeed show much integrity and intelligence in her manner of making comments.

Thanks for reading, Ji. Happy Sunday. See you tonight for Potluck.

azfree said...

Thank you Jamie for the post!

Riika deserves the props for setting up the twitter, and getting that going, I've just been pitching in and tweet, tweet, tweeting.

Follow us @JinglePoetry

Thanks again.

thingy said...

"Hords of cheese heads swam."

Yeah, baby!!!

Go Pack!

liv2write2day said...

Great, informative dispatch as usual, Jamie. I enjoyed learning more about Aleza and her publishing company. Congrats, Riika, on your book and nice job with the Valentine's theme for Potluck. And good, informative article on Senyru...a form I haven't tried yet. Looking forward to reading lots of poetry this week for Potluck and thanks for introducing me. Go Packers!

william said...

awe ji, thanks a million for the kind birthday message, you are a true friend xxx

Jingle said...

Thanks for adding the Senryu poetry here, Jamie.

It is very kind of you in mentioning Thursday Poets Rally and Doing Birthdays wishes...

Big Cheers.
you rock.