Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Saturday Poem of the Week--Morning Come by Kolembo

Once again, there were so many well-written poems posted for last Monday’s Poetry Potluck. The poem that I chose this week is the gift of a talented and versatile writer from Africa, Kolembo.


In keeping with the theme of goals, Kolembo takes us into a hospital and into the very personal moment of the stillborn birth of a baby girl. He uses the color pink to introduce us to the scene—all the lost promises of what would have been. Notice how he engages the senses: wailing mops, a vibrating cell phone, squealing bed springs, the odor of antiseptic, iron and sweat, even a taste of chocolate. This creates a vivid sense of place and also invites us into the intense emotion—pain shared with the mother and the hope and expectation that there will be another pregnancy in the future. As the title begs, he pleads for it all to be over soon, repeating the poem’s title as the last two lines of the poem.

Enjoy visiting Kolembo’s blog and savoring his poetry.

http://kolembo.wordpress.com/2011/01/29/morning-come/


Morning Come

Your thoughts are on pink.

Pink elephants with floppy ears,

Pink polka-dot pillows,

Pink rabbit-eared flip-flops with,

Non-slip soles,

Pink cereal,

Pink hair bobbins, and

The bright pink coffee shop,

You would take her to,

To apologize and review,

Her new pink shoes.

Why must everything be so loud?

Bedraggled mops wail against white-washed,

Hospital tiles,

The mobile phone on the bed-side table,

Won’t stop vibrating and the,

Bed-springs squeal,

Every time you move.

The smell of antiseptic will not overcome,

The stench of sweat on soiled sheets or,

Iron in new blood,

Hush,

Nine months of nausea,

Nine months of chocolate,

Will come your way again,

Morning come,

Morning come.


A few (of many) poems for your reading pleasure:

http://notatameblog.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/my-only-aim/

http://juliejordanscott.typepad.com/jjspoetry/2011/02/hangbymyknees.html

http://louisedouglas.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/journal/

Have a happy week of writing and don’t forget to come back for more on Monday where the theme, in keeping with Valentine’s Day is Love, Bonds and Relationships.

Victoria (http://liv2write2day.wordpress.com/)

Bill (http://beginningpoetry.wordpress.com/)











15 comments:

kenny said...

What a pleasant surprise! Thank you Victoria, and the rest of you at Jingle.

I will let you alone for a while and then, perhaps, at least let you know where it came.

Jingle Poetry said...

Good choice! Congratulations!

scentofmyheart said...

Well done to Kolembo. Bill, after the hard work you had, happy Saturday!

Celestial Dreamz said...

So well done! Loved the poem. and I really appreciate Jingle Poetry for all its effort and encouragement.

trisha said...

just fantastic. yes he portrayed the pic perfectly. i like his poems very much.

Jingle said...

Love your Choice, Victoria,

very extraordinary take,

Thanks for the treat!
Cheers.

Jingle said...

Three additional poems for pleasure are awesome...

you are so very thoughtful, Victoria.

Perfect Job Indeed.

liv2write2day said...

Thank you, Jingle. There are so many impressive poems out there. It's a hard choice.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Oh, wow. What a gift this poem is and very ironic to be the poem of the week on this exact week... Wednesday would have been my daugher's 21st birthday but she, too, was stillborn.

Seeing my poem included below the featured poem was a special blessing, too...

THANK YOU, all of you - Jingle, Victoria, and the entire community, so much!

annell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JamieDedes said...

I must say Bill and Victoria, I couldn't agree more with your selection this week. This is one poem that really stayed with me and haunted me. Well done. Kudos to you and to Kolembo for her poem. Prayers are with Kolembo and her family as they grieve their recent loss.

Reflections said...

Great selection for this week... speaks well of tender, heartfelt moments... of both eager joy and heartache, stenches of moments reaching beyond the moments numbness. Amazing piece.

Nicely done Kolembo... very powerful write.

liv2write2day said...

Just a footnote--Kolembo (Kenneth) is writing of his twin sister's loss. Julie, I'm sure you, above all, can understand the pain and that it stays with you a lifetime.

kenny said...

Hi there you all! It's been lovely being selected this week, and going around and seeing what everyone else is writing.

It reminds me how blessed we are sometimes, to be the people we are, to be the ones writing, reminds me that we owe our words our honesty (or dis-honesty celebrated!), that we can voice for ourselves, for others, and for life.

Pretty special.

I have a twin sister called Caroline, for whom this poem was written. She bumps her legs at night and I, my head on my pillow. Doctors say it's how we were carried around in the womb.

She lost a child at full term last year and I honestly can't tell you how I cried and cried for all that spilt milk, cried for days and days for my dear sister.

They had been trying for years, and this time, THIS time, it seemed to be.

She's a very disciplined person, unlike me, and held back until the last moment, a couple of months before due, and then lit up like a sparkler, and planned and dreamed.

When the phone call came, I knew immediately. Oh, I could hear it in her voice. We don't cry very easily, she and I, the world has always been complete as long as the other is still alive.

This time she said 'hi', and I knew, and she knew I knew, and we just held the phones, just stayed on in silence for a long, long time.

I cried later. Hard.

Unfortunately, it was found that she had ovarian cancer of the right ovary. They went into Chemo and Radio immediately, trying to save the left, but that too has gone.

I woke up one day, with a hand on my shoulder, and a very soft light around me...like a scene through the most delicate of gauze, and I was told to write.

I felt as though, I was writing of another time, a beyond time, an assurance that out there was an answer and a reason that was bigger than we could see, that I should write.

Here in Africa, the deepest memories we have are those of lullabys sung to us by our mothers, passed down over centuries, never written and sung only by women.

Men in battle have been known to die, humming these tunes.

In this space I heard, morning come.

Long message, but I thought it would colour the poem if I put it up earlier, yet I also feel that for those of you it touched, the story would complete something too.

Thanks again, and for all the things that make women special, for all the mothers and sisters, and neices, and daughters and lovers out there, I thank and honour you.

Kenny

ptc said...

Kenneth - I meant to get to this comment earlier, but I've been laid up a bit of late. I was so delightd to see that your poem was recognized this past week. It is another of your extraordinary poems, and it stirs me deeply - soul deep. I particularly appreciate your "back story" offered above about the writing of this poem. Tell me, how is your sister?

You are an exquisite poet. I feel so privileged to read your work daily on your site. Thank you for sharing your life with us in such a significant and beautiful way.

~Paula