Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Review Tuesdays - Fiveloaf

Often we come across blogs with very deep names… my own blog is one such. It’s not very often that the blog’s name is the pen name of the author. Very rare happening, IMO of course… Today, in Review Tuesdays, I talk of the poetry of Fiveloaf, the blog and the blogger!

Who is Fiveloaf?
In his own words, Kris Lee a.k.a Fiveloaf says he’s a child usurped into the vagaries of this enigmatic world. In the noise of this world, he sought a world of solitude where he and his mind can breathe, where there are no differences in place or time. This space, Fiveloaf is the result of that quest.

What does Fiveloaf, the blog, look like?



The blog uses Hemmingway, one of the simplest templates that Wordpress has to offer. It sports a black post background with summary of two posts shown on home page, no sidebar and three-part footer. In the post view, the details of the post is shown at the left of the post, comments follow below it as usual. The footer sports the main widgets like archive, category list, blog list, about me and copyright notice. As per archive, he has been blogging since 2009 November and has, to date, 402 posts. Link to his Facebook Profile and also a form to subscribe to his updates is also available in the footer.


What’s his poetry like?

Fiveloaf writes both deep and simple poetry. Mostly sticking to free form, he also dabs in forms as I can tell with the “haiku” category in the list. A popular series on his blog is the cursery rhyme series… which contain random rhyme scheme. A lot of his poems have just the middle, leaving us to think of what could have been the start and what could have been a plausible ending..

From his recent posts, the post Big Lips is my favorite… a humor filled witty poem from the cursery rhyme series..Other than that, his poem Broken Home, a small verse which makes us think is worth the read. It has been a while since he touched upon the haiku form, but I liked the 10 syllable haiku on Emptiness. It's something a lot of people might be able to relate to.

Fiveloaf writes for memes such as Potluck and the Thursday Poets Rally. Other than poetry, he has a few non poetic works as well. From these I liked The Nest most of all.

Suggestions

Kris, your poetry is thought provoking most of the time. It's something I feel good in a poet.

My suggestions are:

1. Please try to find another template. The current one only shows only the summary of recent two posts, and there is no "older posts" link on home page, or post page that aid the readers to browse your archives at a stretch. Also, the font size is very tiny and difficult to read on the black background.
2. Do try more forms too if you are interested. I think you'd do well with it.


Who am I?
I’m Leo; author of I Rhyme Without Reason, co-host of Review Tuesdays here at Jingle Poetry along with Someone is Special. Hope you enjoy reading about the blogs, and do go read them too. Kris, hope the review was okay. Do let me know if I've gone wrong anywhere. 







16 comments:

Rashmi said...

I have been to your blog fiveloaf..
I like your poems ,your style...
As always Leo ,nice review...
Wish you all the very Best.

fiveloaf said...

this is indeed a surprise leo.. and thank you for highlighting my blog. indeed, i appreciate your comments and suggestions.. 'hemingway' has plenty to offer really besides being dark and mysterious the way i like it and like the rest of the other templates i have experimented, it also allows me the flexibility to display two or more of my most recent postings in full which i opted not to for a few reasons~ the first of which i hope you will agree with me that the poem title is the teaser and draw of any poem~ and it is the first thing you and i read and therefore, it is as equally important as the content itself and i reckon that if anyone would be interested to peruse further than the title could do to catch their attention, they would pursue with the second click to read the body beyond the title. to browse my previous postings you have two options. first, click on any poem title on my 'recent post' widget or second, click on any month on my 'archive' widget. if you click on the latter, a chronological list of up to 80 posting titles in one single page would be displayed which to me is an advantage over other themes and i could actually reset it to more than a 100 if i wanted to. however, like you i do agree that the fonts is a little small though.. :)

Leo said...

@Fiveloaf.

oh ok. its finally up to u of course. the titles u choose do invoke the curiosity.. as a reader, I just felt the fonts too small. mainly that issue... esp coz its white on black. glad u liked the review. cheers!

Leo said...

@Rashmi,
thanks n cheers! :)

trisha said...

thanks leo for highlighting one of my favourite poets in our group.

just adore his works.

trisha

fiveloaf said...

your flattery fluttered me trish just as leo's 'fur'lite review feathered me to look beyond..

jingle said...

a genuine surprise 2 Me as well,

He has his style, he reminds me of You, Leo, super unique taste and talent in your own blogs, Glad to C U @ getting FRIENDLY AND APPRECIATE EACH OTHER'S WORK...

extraordinary post, enjoyed everything here.

Cheers.

Jingle said...

I Believe that Rashmi, Trisha, Leo and I r honest here.

stay on top of the world today,
and smile BIG!

Happy New Year!

Bing (PinkLady) said...

i am a big fan of fiveloaf. i love his easy-going, carefree writing style. he is comfortable in his own skin and he does not conform to rules just to please anyone. indeed, he writes thought-provoking pieces beautifully.

he truly deserves the recognition that you've given him, leo. :)

Kraxpelax said...

My UNIQUELY styled Wallpapers. During some ten years, I have developed an extremely complex and unimitable technique that should carry some interest of anyone pursuing a serious artistic ambition and expertise. And it's quantity as well: by now close to 3 000 wallpapers, all created by me. Why not tune in on my rapidly growing art blog? Its Copyright Anyone, as it SHOULD be for this genre!

Weathertime Wallpaper Windows

I run Deviant Art in parallell:

Kraxpelax on Deviant Art

------

And I write poetry in several languages:

SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE

There's much in the world that you can't explain.
It's revealed for you to remember
by the whispering voice of a distant train
or a midnight rain in november.

Horizon within! You can always find
the keys to Enigma. Let's mention
one basic Truth: of spirited Mind
Is Nature naught but extension.

Internal expanses! In dreams, ridden
by fear and longing you roam
that deep Southeast in your soul hidden
...on your random journey back home.

Single Swingle

---

Casualidad sopla la sangre
de alguno señor desconocido
durante los pocos restantes
momentos del resplandor de faroles

que se vislumbran tras el follaje
flameando de las obsesiónes
igual efimero como gotas
del cinzano de la soledad –

En aquel tiempo me levanta
dentro uno incidente avejentado
que en seguida palidece
al camouflaje de abstraccion;

chica, nadie conoce que tus grisos
ojos significan aún; con todo
el sueño que hube evacuado
tu escudriñas nuevamente.

My Spanish poetry!

---

LE FRUIT DU CIEL

Un orage nocturne illmuna maintenant l'Amazonie, franchis les Andes, envoya des jeux de cartes gigantesques et frappantes en bas à la Pampa –

Puis: petit déjeuner à melon; café fumant !

À la bague du cigare tu lis, étonné: GÉOGRAPHIE.

Poétudes

---

Das Leben dergleichen Halbfaßung
der Welt wahr immer nicht wahr,
nicht wahr? Die fristlos Entlaßung
am Ende wird kaum wunderbar.

So laßen uns Menschlingen viele
besonders besonnene zum
Zeitweilegem Zeiten als Ziele
des Lebens halbfaßen darum.

Fremde Gedichte


---

We need a new analysis of probability. My hypothesis is that disorder is as constant as energy, since increasing material disorder, entropy, is counterbalanced by increasing structural regularity, symmetry. I tell you the Law of Entropy and the Law of Symmetry, ruling approximatively equal universal validity derive through bifurcation of the still more basic Law of Probability, that is, math, and rather simple math at that. Can you dig this?

My philosophy:

GAMMABLIXT


---

My Stockholm photos:

Holmstock

And I am a very experienced I Ching practitioner, not for fortunetelling ,but for Wisdom and Spiritual Devclopment. Heavy stuff:

? I CHING !


====
And: reciprocity. You do me a favor promoting your blog on mine!

- Peter Ingestad, Sweden

liv2write2day said...

Good review of a poet who merits attention. Fiveloaf, I tend to agree with Leo's suggestions (maybe I'm just lazy) although I see what you're saying about the teaser. Whatever you do, keep us thinking.

JamieDedes said...

Leo, another fine selection. We all love Kris. His poetry is wonderful. I love it. As an elder with limited vision, I must say that I agree with Leo, Kris. I really have to work to read your posts and to find additional ones to read. You're worth it, but I'd love to be able to have an easier time of it.

Thank you both for your hard work and for the gift of you...

Happy Potluck days ...

Poetry of the Day said...

i love the reviews

~ <3 Famous Poetry about life <3~

fiveloaf said...

thank you all for your honest comments- jingle, jamie, liv, peter, etc.. i appreciate your concerns.. please press ctrl + (control plus) on your computer as many times as you want to enlarge the page haha! and ctrl - (control minus) to shrink it back. works in all comps and not only on my blog.. i would also like to draw your attention to a blog i revamped recently but havent have much time to put in the details as yet- care to cruise.. ;) www.curseryrhymes.blogspot.com

kenny said...

Ah, fiveloaf, I wondered when they'd find you! Great review of an eclectic blogger, I visit often! I knew he'd stick to Hemingway...you can just see him (goodness, or her, I haven't checked!) gazing deeply into spare design!

Again thanks for the review, lovely!

fiveloaf said...

thanks kolembo my friend- guess we both have an inkling towards the dark and the sparing.. congrats on your poem being selected- WOW! this week..