Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Meet The Poet Wednesday

Welcome again to Jingle Poetry's Meet The Poet Wednesday where we interview one of the authors who contribute such a great amount of poetry, time and support! This week we interview Lynnaima.




Share with us a little about yourself...

I am originally from Haiti and raised in Brooklyn NY. I refer to myself as a transplant. I don't really feel like I belong anywhere, not fully Haitian neither fully American. I think that is what caused me to embrace dualism. I live in my mind. I see myself more as a spirit or soul if you wish than the vessel that I was born with or the place where I grew up. The mind can be anything, male or female, black or white, Haitian, American, British or African and that is what is so freeing. I reside in Florida and have moved so often, travelled a lot as well, (Paris, Venice, Florence, Canada, Aruba, Bahamas, Mexico, St. Thomas, Maine, Mass etc..) that I may move again just because it is fun and exciting. Life is about connections and I hope I can make as many as I can while I am in this body. I love to read. I read anything as often as I can. I love music, going to the museums, working out, mostly weight training and dancing. I guess my life is centered around the arts.


How did your blog come about? Do you remember the time you wrote your first poem?

I wrote my first poem at 10 years of age and my first and only book at 11 years of age. I was so proud of that book. I knew this was what I had always wanted to do but the editor that I had given it to, promised he would read it and give me some feedback. He never returned. I kept on asking him about it for a year and then I gave up. That publishing dream died right then and there. I kept on writing here and there but took it seriously when one of the poets I so admire wrote a piece that touched me "Poetry is asking you to come back". It is as if he gave me permission to let my pen cry. It has been about 2 years or so since and I try to write a piece a day about something, anything. I kept on losing them as I kept on posting them on social sites, hi5, facebook and on some of the few Haitian websites I visit. Some of which do not exist anymore. I lost a lot of my pieces this way. My computer went to the blue screen of death and I never saved them not even the rough drafts in my diary. Someone I read often "mrprodg.com" (also on wordpress) gave me the idea to post my work on one site. That is how I started to transfer some of my pieces on here and keeping the blog updated.


Please tell us a little bit of your blog and what it means to you.

My blog is the medium I choose to share my work now. I do not wish to go the formal route anymore nor do I want to keep on posting on so many different sites. I am happy to share what I write and receive feedback from the ones who visit on my blog. I am hoping to pass it on to my angels who read it often. Hopefully, one day they can access the site when they are old enough and be able to read my work.


Do you write more than just poetry? What else do you write?

I mostly write poetry. I tried writing a few songs but really that did not yield any positive outcomes. I write for fun, to clear my head and some call it poetry as do I but I am not sure if the academes would agree really.


What is the favorite poem you have written so far?

Singed is my most favorite. I think it is just beautiful...

http://lynnaima.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/singed/


When do you write the most? When you are happy, sad, lonely, day or night?

I write anywhere, any time and any place. I write whenever the words come. I say often "Je souffres de melancholie". Basically, "melancholia" is my middle name. I dance when I am happy and for sadness, tears, sorrow and pain my pen cries, rants, screams and rips it all apart in order to set my world straight again.


Do you have a favorite poet or a favorite poem by them? Why?

Maya Angelou (Men)-she basically tells how I feel about that topic. Mayda Del Valle (To all the boys I loved before) Spoken word poetry is soul. I think I am trying to write my best spoken word piece but I have not fully reached there yet except with this one piece I feel came close to being one: 'Living in the shadows of blackness:

http://lynnaima.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/living-in-the-shadows-of-blackness/

Edna St. Vincent Millay's "What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why" That piece is as old as Jesus as they say and yet it still rings true. I like that a lot, a timeless piece, that's art.

My favorite Haitian poet of course: Prosper Sylvain Jr.AKA Makendal's "I Don't Look Haitian". Makendal is a lyrical master, a wordsmith extraordinaire. You give him 2 minutes and he can write anything and touch your soul. That is talent in my book. He writes romantic pieces, political pieces, satires in poetic form, you name it and he can write it. He is that gifted. He is not limited to any genres at all. I really like that. I hope he writes a book. He is more of a spoken word poet for now. There are a lot of poets whose work I admire but these pieces I carry in my diary, a few I have on Facebook as well. I read and reread them often which says a lot because I feel that there is so much to learn and do in life that it is a waste of time to keep on doing the same thing or reading the same material. I subscribe to poets.org where I get to read one poem a day sent to my phone. I wake up each morning to my favorites from the site and from Wordpress like Jamie D. I like waking up and reading poetry with coffee early morning, then pray.


Do you enjoy reading books? What are the best books you ever read?

I read anything. "She's come undone. Sula. The bible." I read a lot. I used to read a lot more when I had no angels to care for. My angels would be my pride and joy, my ball and chain, known as my two daughters generally, one tested with a very high IQ that I have to keep up with and pass the love of reading and writing to.


What poets in the blogo-sphere do you like to read or visit most?

I subscribe to 21 poets on wordpress. I can't recall them all. My favorites are: Jamie (I hope to be like her when I grow up), Deadpoet (a dark soul like mine. I can relate to a lot of her writings and I think I am in love with her twarped mind) and Caribbean fool (Because he is a hot mess, cerebral, crazy and does not care where poetry takes him. I like that).

Jamie Dedes: http://musingbymoonlight.com/

Deadpoet 88: http://deadpoet88.wordpress.com/

Caribbean Fool: http://caribbeanfool.wordpress.com/


What are your inspirations? Where do you feel most comfortable to write?

One word "pain". I am inspired by pain, heart wrenching sadness, if it is sad and it hurts, most likely I will respond to it. I write anywhere. I do prefer when the house is quiet, but that hardly happens.


What advice would you give someone who is interested in starting a poetry blog?

Join Jingle poetry, yes that is a plug. I do thank Jingle (the team) for the exposure, the encouragement, the support. Within this community, one gets to interact with lovers of words, poetry, writing and there is nothing like being amongst "your own". Apart from that just do it, write, write, write and keep on writing.


Thank you very much for the exposure and thanks to everyone who has visited my blog. Happy new year!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading Lynn's poetry. She is extremely talented and I wish her the best!

fiveloaf said...

nice interview lynn and none could have expressed it better than you!

sillyfrogsusan said...

This was such an insightful piece.
I think writers want to share themselves and this is why I enjoy them!
Lynnaima is a beautiful soul and anyone who shares their inner self, is real,confident and generous indeed!
I feel inspired every time I meet a new poet here...
Susan

Eric 'Bubba' Alder said...

I've only recently discovered Lynnaima's blog, but I've always been glad I did. Her take on life is unique and intriguing.

(And who knew she had such great lips? Wow!)

I'd advise everybody to give her a little bit of your time.

Joe said...

I discovered lynn's work many years ago, and I am certainly glad I did because she is very versatile and diverse in her poetry. She has actually renewed my interest in poetry.

Jingle said...

It is HER, the image gives me some feeling that it is HE,

what a fantastic interview.
she is like electricity, her comments can out one on instantly....

Glad to have her be part of our community.

Way to go.

Both of you.

lynnaima said...

lol@ Jingle's It is HER, the image gives me some feeling that it is HE"

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I have had the chance to read some wonderful work by published poets and better writers than I would ever be and they encourage me to think through the offerings on my blog. Thank you Jingle for the opportunity to do so.

Thank you all who are so kind to visit my blog and leaving your fingerprints and thanks to the ones who reach out via emails. Thank you for your words of support, wisdom, critiques and advice.

Thank you much!

L.

Dave King said...

As always a fascinating interview. I think I have found a new blog.

Chim's World of Literature said...

i really enjoyed this interview...amazing wish Lynn's all the best for the future...

a truthmark said...

... good post ... nice blog !!

kenny said...

Great interview! Jingle, thanks for taking the time to do this! You have no idea! Excellent stuff.

Anonymous said...

Received link from my sister. Truly blessed and grateful at the words and elevation. Thank you.
Makendal