Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, December 19, 2010

SUNDAY RALLY DISPATCH, 12/19/2010



Sunday Rally Dispatch is a collection of news updates of interest to our poet-blogger community members.  Your contributions from your area of the world, your activities, or your interests are welcome. Please forward them to Jamie Dedes of Musing by Moonlight at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Contributions are subject to editorial discretion and space constraints. Feedback welcome.


Best wishes to those who celebrate religious or secular Christmas for a joy-filled and peaceful holiday.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

with Jack Kerouac
THE BEAT MUSEUM SEEKS NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL VOLUNTEERS FOR THE FOUNDATION FOR CREATIVE EXPRESSION FUNDRAISER: The Museum in concert with the Foundation, which funds many of The Beat Museum events, is preparing for its Sixth Annual Neal Cassady (beat poet) Birthday Bash coming in February.  The Foundation for Creative Expression is a 501(c)3 non-profit.

In the past they've raised funds by holding an auction where you bid to take your favorite writer, poet or other personality to lunch.  They're doing that again this year. They expect to have quite a group of famous personalities to support this endeavor. They've also auctioned off gift certificates donated by various restaurants, hotels, retail establishments and service establishments.  To date this has been strictly San Francisco, but starting in February 2011 they are moving the FFCE.org auction to the Internet, opening it up for international participation.

Hence, in 2011 anyone who wants to bid can do so from anywhere in the world. They can also expand participating hotels and restaurants and other donors beyond California, USA. 


They're looking for a volunteer from each major city who can canvass and coordinate with local businesses by doing a mailing (either email or snail mail) asking for donations and tracking responses.  They'll provide you with sample letters and forms, what you'll need to do is gather contact info and addresses and do the follow-up work after making the requests.

They're looking for volunteers in Chicago, LA, Miami, New York, Paris, London, Tokyo.  No limits. Wherever you live, you can participate.

They're also seeking business owners and managers who can commit to making a donation now.  In addition to restaurants and hotels, think unique experiences like spa treatments and vacation home rentals, hang gliding, and tickets to sporting events or shows.  Anything people would normally pay for can be part of the auction. The proceeds benefit the FFCE, which in turn will be able to support more and bigger events at The Beat Museum.

If interested, send an email to Jerry Cimino, at 
thebeatmobile@yahoo.com.


Just in time for the holidays:
BILL COOK, POETRY MATTERS, ON WHY POETRY MATTERS and HOW TO SURVIVE THE END-OF-YEAR HOLIDAY CHAOS.

JAMIE: The name of your blog is Poetry Matters. Why does poetry matter?


Bill: In truth, I first selected the name to remind myself that reading poetry and writing it, does matter, so that I would not simply give up. It is important, if only for my own sanity and self-expression.


I began reading poetry in junior high school. The first book of poetry that grabbed me was the overwhelmingly sentimental Listen to the Warm by Rod McKuen. After playing football or running around with my friends, I would climb a tree in the woods behind our house and read Robert Frost and Emile Dickinson. As an undergraduate I majored in English literature. I wrapped myself up in Berryman, Lowell, Plath, Ginsburg, Whitman, William Carlos Williams.


After college I went to work in warehouses, driving trucks, and finally for the Post Office. I held a romantic image, common in the early 70’s, of the laborer-writer. A bit later I entered management in the Post Office and focused on work and raising a family. Slowly, I let go of reading and writing. It did not seem to matter.



I left the Post Office and entered ministry. My graduate studies and my reading focused on theology, ethics, spirituality, and the practice of ministry. My writing became that which I do in my work: papers on theology. articles for church publications and newsletters, and eighteen years of sermons. Poetry did not seem to matter.

But slowly my love for literature and poetry returned. I rediscovered that good poetry embodies and celebrates life in ways that much theology does not. Rather than move away from what is human, poetry embraces it. It re-presents experience and places it before us in new ways. It reminds me, as one poet (I don’t remember who) said, that as I drink my coffee in the morning, I lift “a heavy spillable cup.” In a very Zen like fashion, I wake up and become fully present in the moment. The beauty and significance, even the sacredness, of the ordinary opens up on the page. And, by the way, that is good theology!
So, poetry matters. Reading it matters. Sharing it matters. I have also discovered that reading and writing poetry has improved my preaching.

JAMIE: Right now many in our community are in the middle of their busiest time of year and getting busier with a major holidays approaching. As a minister, I'm sure that your responsibilities increase at church with Christmas and New Year celebrations. In addition, you've a family and other responsibilities to juggle. Can you give us three or four tips on how to stay grounded and maintain our production and quality of poetry throughout this busy season. Or, is there a reason not to even try?

Discipline is a good thing. I read that William Stafford would get up every morning, seven days a week, at 4 AM and write until the sun came up. His goal was to write a poem a day, (The Poets Laureate Anthology, Elizabeth Hun Schmidt, ed., W.W. Norton, Inc.). I admire that intensity of practice, but don’t even come close. Maybe that is why I will never write like William Stafford.
I think we have enough pressure on us, especially in the holiday seasons, and do not need more.
If that kind of discipline feeds you, God bless and enjoy. If not, my tip/advice: relax. Step back. Perhaps a break will actually serve your muse. As someone else said, we are meant to be human beings, not human doings. 


CAN WRITING CREATIVELY HEAL? SCOTT OF SOBERNUGGETS THINKS SO.

JAMIE: Scott, you a new kid on the block, linking in to Poetry Potluck for the first time last Monday. Suppose you begin by telling us how long have you been blogging and what made you start?

SCOTT: I've been blogging since March 20, 2006.  I wanted to write about being sober in AA.  I don't really recall what got me started blogging, but I am glad I did.  I've never been one to keep a journal. I am surprised I have kept up this long.  Now I can hardly imagine life without blogging in one form or another.  


One of the things about blogging that holds my interest is the people I've met that online, my readers.  I love exchanging ideas, getting to know folks through their blogs.  I've found that blogging goes along very nicely as a part of anonymous recovery from alcoholism and drug addiction.  I can share what's going on with me, remain anonymous, share with others and really just focus on the recovery message.  I've met a few sober writers who've encouraged me to try my hand and now I've grown quite fond of writing prose and poetry, whether it be about recovery, or not.  I love how personal blogging can be, while remaining somewhat anonymous.


JAMIE: Your first Potluck contribution was lovely. When did you write your first poem and why?


SCOTT: I first tried writing creatively back in graduate school probably 1992, while living in Texas.  I was heavily into drugs and alcohol at the time, and thought myself quite the poet.  Some of the stuff was pretty decent, but some of it, not so much.  At that time, I wrote because it felt good to me.  I wrote several pieces, mainly just drug-induced "moments of creativity" I thought were quite profound at the time.  I do recall that writing felt natural, gave me some release.  I've only returned to creative writing recently, in the last few months.  Turns out, I love it!


JAMIE: Congratulations on being selected as a Top Alcohol Abuse Blog for 2010 and on being sober and drug free since January 28, 1996. I note that a number in our community use poetry to heal from life's traumas including catastrophic physical illness, mental illness, child molestation, violent environments, and so on. I assume writing and especially poetry have played a supporting role in your healing process. Please tell us a bit about that.


SCOTT: Well, writing makes me feel good.  Feeling good is important for a person who's predisposed to depression.  Writing helps me express what's happening with me. I've noticed a certain calmness that comes over me while writing, a serenity.  My former life of drug addiction and alcoholism was filled with chaos and insanity.  So, it is very important to me to be serene, calm and spiritual in my daily life.  Writing creatively helps me to achieve that spiritual calm. 


Writing is also an important part of the recovery process in a 12 Step program.  I've been active in AA since January 28, 1996 when I got sober.  Writing down what's going on with me helps me be honest.  Putting down the "facts about Scott" onto paper really helps me keep things in their proper perspective.  I can then deal with my truth in a humble, productive way, instead of the old routine of just keeping things inside, blowing them out of proportion until they explode in some form of negative manifestation.  


Seeing my own truths on paper provides distance between my thinking and those things about me which I've twisted and blown out of proportion.  I can then take a deep breath, get honest and sort through "my stuff."
Writing creatively about recovery has been a really great way to experience sobriety and express what it means for me to be sober.  It also allows me to hopefully be of help to others who struggle with various addictions.  I hope to be able to more fully develop my writing skills, so that I might express myself more clearly and effectively, especially when it comes to writing about spirituality and recovery.
Our thanks to the Rev. Bill Cook and to Scott for the insights and information.

If you haven't visited these two December birthday poets to wish them a happy, please do. Ibok and Scott B. Happy Birthday, Gentlemen!


JINGLE POETRY POTLUCK, WEEK 15
STARTS TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. CENTRAL
INLINKZ WILL STAY OPEN FOR 72 HOURS.

Please email news announcements to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com.

Please forward photograph or illustrations and include all necessary links. Thank you!


8 comments:

Jingle Poetry said...

Jamie,

awesome news...

loved the interview of Bill Cook and Scott...

You are thoughtful mentioning Ibok and Scottl B for Their December Birthdays....

Happy Sunday to you
and to everyone in our community.

Hope to See you all tonight.

Jingle

JamieDedes said...

Thanks, Ji. You are always supportive and kind. Much appreciated. And, yes, I think Bill and Scott both made fine contributions today. My appreciation to both of them for allowing interviews and sharing insights.

Have a wonder Sunday Ji and everyone.

Back later for Potluck. Hooray! :-)

Jamie

words4afriend said...

Wonderful articles and great interview with Scott( hmmm.really like that name) and thanks for the birthday wishes :)

M.L. Gallagher said...

Love the interviews with both Scott and Bill. Was fascinated by the truth in each of their words.

Thanks!

LouiseG

liv2write2day said...

Nice interviews with Scott and Rev. Bill. Congrats to Scott on his sobriety. I'm sure both of these men inspire many.
Victoria

Khakjaan Wessington said...

Hello Jingle (if that IS your real name),

Good updates on here. I'd like to add my own: http://combatwords.blogspot.com has another 10 hours to go. This is not a game for the faint-hearted. It's competitive writing done on the clock. I usually make an announcement around 12pm PST on Fridays, though sometimes it's 3pm. Anybody can play, but the arena can get harsh pretty quickly.

Also, I'm still rockin' the daily dactyls & anapests here: http://toylit.blogspot.com

Have a good holiday.

-KW

Emmanuel Ibok said...

Nice one...and thanks a lot for the birthday mention.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

thanks a lot for the beautiful interview jamie.

trisha
mydomainpvt.wordpress.com