Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, December 5, 2010

SUNDAY RALLY DISPATCH, 12/05/2011




Sunday Rally Dispatch is a collection of news updates of interest to our poet-blogger community members.  Your contributions from your area of the world, your activities, or your interests are welcome. Please forward them to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Contributions are subject to editorial discretion and space constraints. Feedback welcome.
 

ON THIS DAY: Christina Georgina Rossetti was born (5 December 1830 – 29 December 1894). She was an English poet who wrote a variety of romantic, devotional, and children's poems. She is best known for her long poem Goblin Market. Her work is in the public domain. You can read Goblin Market, The Prince’s Progress, and Other Poems in its entirety online HERE.

LEADING RUSSIAN POET DIED MONDAY: Bella Akhmadulina, a poet whose startling images and intensely personal style, couched in classical verse forms, established her as one of the Soviet Union’s leading literary talents, died on Monday at her home in Peredelkino, outside Moscow. She was 73.” MORE

Wikipedia

The Garden 
by Bella Akhmadulina

I went out to the garden - but in garden,
the word, lies lush luxuriance.
As gorgeous as a full blown rose,
it enriches sound and scent and glance.
The word is wider than what surrounds me:
inside it all is well and free;
its rich black soil makes sons and daughters
of orphaned and transplanted seeds. MORE


DAILY NEWS FOR POETS AND WRITERS: Posted on online by Poets & Writers magazine HERE.

UPCOMING WRITING CONTESTS: Poets & Writers online database has been updated HERE. Next deadline is December 10, 2010. Many have cash awards.
FACIAL EXPRESSION POETRY CIRCLE - EXTENDS AN INVITATION: Luke Prater of
Word Salad announced that the discussion board platform he started in April on Facebook is going and growing. “We now have a strong, busy group with several admins, and we learn very fast in that give-and-take, collaborative environment. It is also a lot of fun.

“I know I have much to learn. I started the Group in April specifically so that so poets could post their work, read the work of others, and in particular give and receive constructive criticism. Novice poets take the critique, work hard and become decent poets very quickly, or stop posting – simply because they aren’t yet ready to take honest feedback. One has to be in a place where not too much of the ego is invested in the poem and the poet is open to learning. I love blogging, but if someone forced me to choose between the blog and the Poetry Groups I would be with the Groups every time. My blog is a showcase of my polished pieces, but the Group is where I learn to write poetry. New members, as I said, are welcome. Are you ready to take the critique? Great. Let’s do it. Link
HERE.

UPDATE ON CULTURE SPOTLIGHT: Richard North, ArtsWebshow, reports that his brother is still designing the site. The profiles work like any other WordPress.com public profile. You can link your sites, add pictures and video links and he is even sorting out coding for a text box. Author profiles allow you to write and publish posts as well as upload and embed videos. Essentially you'd be writing for Culture Spotlight, but in doing so promoting yourself and your sites. If culture spotlight had 1,000 authors, it would become one of the biggest collective websites of its kind.
.
Spotlight authors, on the other hand, are different. There will be a page dedicated to the Spotlight authors and a link on the site’s sidebar to their chosen website. This comes with a bit more responsibility. One author will cover each form of media. For example one will cover literature another visual art. So they would have to be able to speak with authority in that particular field. The responsibility of a Spotlight author is to write a weekly post promoting the best of what they have seen in their particular field that week.
It all about providing information and content about the most interesting and up to date info on the world of culture.

Z - A CHALLENGE ENDS: The November Z to A in 26 Days Challenge ended on November 30th. Hosted by Leo, he reports than 25 writers participated. Many completed the entire challenge. Enthusiasm was evident, with writers like Lovely Annie and Victoria writing multiple posts on Catch Up Sunday. In the end, people were eager to know when the next challenge would be. Leo says maybe February and something new, not a Z to A. He plans to host a month-long challenge once again, perhaps in February. Watch Leo’s site and Sunday Rally News for announcements and says, meanwhile, “Thanks to all who participated this November and conquered the challenge. It was fun.”

MONTHS OF THE YEAR CHALLENGE BEGINS:
There’s still time to participate in this challenge hosted by ladynimue. She says, “sorrows, joys, smiles, tears, pain, success - you lived it all. Before these eleven months, you lived a lot. The challenge is to write about each month - all twelve of them in twelve different posts - either of this year, or of the past, or the future months you are awaiting for some reason - any thing, any form. The challenge runs from Dec 1,2010 to Dec 24, 2010. Hope to see you writing and sharing your memories and dreams with me.”
MORE

BLAGA’S TODDLER BLOG CELEBRATES FOUR MONTHS: One newbie’s experience...Blaga is one of the two ladies (the other is
Olivia) flying around the Internet reminding poets about or inviting them to participate in Poetry Potluck online every Sunday evening. After my introductory write-up on Blaga last week, which was to announce her joining Jingle Poetry as an official, I decided to investigate her blog further than I had before. I discovered that she’s doing amazingly well for anyone, much less a novice blogger. I also discovered she has some unusual inspirations and motivtions for blogging and poetry.

In reviewing your blog, it looks like you had friends who were encouraging you in this direction. How did that come about? Why?
I have a pen pal in Australia. He was the first to tell me my letters are like little stories, that I have a way with words. I laughed at his suggestion to keep copies of my letters. He says a day may come when I figure out what to do with them. Thank you, David, for always having faith in me. Later I started writing poetry. My friends were encouraging. That made me go on and encouraged me to blog.

Blaga, I'm amazed at how well you are doing both in terms of content and regular posts as well as a following given that you have been blogging such a short time. Congratulations!

Clearly you wouldn't be so regular and persistent if you weren't getting something out of the experience. What are the benefits do you derive from all this hard work.


One of my last posts, Strangers, is the perfect icon for the benefits in blogging. Not only I met so many talented and beautiful souls here, but also I'm sure there are plenty I haven't met yet. Each teaches a lesson. At the end of the day, if one manages to gather the best of this experience, perfection will be very close.

About the regularity of my posts: When I started Scent of my heart in September I had already nearly 120 poems. So, even if there are days I don't write anything, I still have something to post.

You’ve mentioned several times that you have plans for modifying you blog. In what ways and why?

I would like to change the theme, to organize better the categories, and to update the pages. I may include different quotes every day. And the layout of some posts needs corrections. I have troubles with the text editor sometimes. The good thing is I am a very patient person, so I believe with time I will get better. Of course there’s never enough time. Twenty-four hours isn’t quite enough for my schedule, but don't we all have the same problem? Smiles!

You do have stories, memoir, and reflections on you blog, but it would appear that poetry is your primary form of artistic expression. Why? When did you first start writing poems?

I wrote my first poem on December 3, 2009. It’s a cliché story. The details of don't really matter. When you want to get the attention of someone surrounded with beautiful words every day, saying, "I like you", or "I miss you" is not exactly the right way, when dozen of others have said the same before you. But saying something like …

"If I miss you I will stare at the tree and its branches
dancing with passion in this stormy weather
and hope your kiss is the one to cause the wind and the rain...."

… is much more likely to succeed. Well I got the attention I wanted, a year later the only thing left is the writing, but I'm more than grateful for that! I don't have only poetry, I just haven't shared yet anything else, apart from two-three short stories, but with time I will...

You've been involved with Jingle's poetry world (
Jingle Poetry and Thursday Poets Rally) almost from the start. How has that helped you?

They provide an opportunity to challenge my writing, to see if I can contribute a poem with the theme that is set, or if I can organize myself to read enough poems and be part of it. It's fun and educational. Many thanks to Jingle, an amazing woman!

There you are in Athens right at the center of what was once classical Greece. Does that inspire you in any way?

Athens is a lovely town. All of Greece is. It is great that I am able to visit sites and monuments connected to Greek mythology. I go very often to Acropolis despite my twenty something visits there. The view from the top is spectacular. Unfortunately, because of the recent economic crises, it is not the same for me as before. Very often all I want to write - connected to Athens -is about the riots and the strikes.

How are you influenced by traditions, poets, or writers from your country of origin, Bulgaria?

When I was in high school, we had required reading, which didn't sit well with me. I like freedom. I like to do it because I want to, not because I was told to. I do have favorite Bulgarian writers, though. In fact I have plans to write a post about a Bulgarian poet and translating one of his poems. Generally, I like the literature of like the revolutionary writers, the ones that tried to escape the box of ordinary and plain.

As we move into the new year, do you find you have new goals for both writing and blogging? If so, what?

I have to organize myself better, to find more time for both and writing and blogging. I need to work on English vocabulary. Maybe I will look for a job a writing job. I have dreams - we all do - but time will show what is in store. I have faith in myself. The rest I believe is effort and good luck!
- It was a pleasure answering these questions. Thank you Jamie!

- T
hank you, Blaga.
Please email news announcements to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com.
Please forward photograph or illustrations and include all necessary links. Thank you!

I do apologize to both readers and subjects for missing pictures. I could not get them all to post properly. Will get it straightened out. Thanks for your understanding, Jamie.


12 comments:

itslovelyannie.com said...

Wonderful dispatch Jamie! So much information....I am glad this dispatch is here...keeps me feeling connected!

Oh, the Facial expressions Poetry circle is def a place to check out! I find my ability to write shifting and growing since I joined.

peace,
Lovely Annie

itslovelyannie.com said...

Wonderful dispatch Jamie! So much information....I am glad this dispatch is here...keeps me feeling connected!

Oh, the Facial expressions Poetry circle is def a place to check out! I find my ability to write shifting and growing since I joined.

peace,
Lovely Annie

scentofmyheart said...

Thank you Jamie, it was a pleasure to do the interview with you! I agree with Annie, about the Facial expressions Poetry circle, it's worth the visit and the participation, one can learn a lot, I have!

Rajlakshmi said...

wonderful dispatch this week... checking out some of the links

M.L. Gallagher said...

This is great! Thanks so much for always compiling it an dreleasing it on Sunday's -- itmakes for a great morning read and the follow-up by visiting all the places mentioned is fun and enlightening!

Jingle said...

amazing news to know for today...

I simply enjoy reading it.
keep it up..
the images are cool.

budh.aaah said...

Great way to keep in touch through some news from you. Thanks

lukepraterswordsalad said...

good stuff jamie, lots of interesting info

Warmest

Luke

ρομπερτ said...

Thank you for this many information. Living here in Athens, now for about six years, surely remains a challenge. With regard to ancient places, seems indeed as if they lost kind of influence to nowaday developments. Surely something that demands lots of thinking. Please have a good new week.

daily athens

ladynimue said...

thank you Jamie for spreading the word on the challenge i host ! You are truely rocking !! :)

Madeleine said...

Delicious imagery :O)

Anonymous said...

thanks for this marvelous post.

trisha
mydomainpvt.wordpress.com