Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Monday, December 6, 2010

Review Tuesdays - A Little Depth

Haven’t you felt sometimes that there is something deeper even in the simplest of words? At times there is a meaning to the poem that even we might not realize. Even a great outfit needs Deeper Linings to make it beautiful to see, similarly, even poetry with a little bit of subtlety in simplicity can attract the mind well. Today, I review such a blog, authored by Dennis Go.

The Wordsmithy Tailor:
When emotions overflow, an escape hatch is needed. Some way to express them, get it out of the mind so there is no negativity hanging around. Manila based Dennis Go started writing poetry to relieve the angst and aggression against life, to express those emotions subtly, and the blog and poetry has now become like his diary.

The Deeper Lining:



Deeper Linings, the blog, visually is very simple looking. A grayish background with creamish white fonts and orange color links, it’s not that averse to the eye either. The blog has an assortment of widgets as well. The blog, according to archives, has been active since September 2010, has 49 posts and 17 followers. The “Share This!” feature is also enabled, so the readers can get his poetry to their Google mails, Twitter, Facebook or even just Reblog that particular post. Permissions, I suppose, can be requested of him through comments, since I couldn’t find any contact mail as such in the profile.

The Poetry of Go:
Dennis’ poetry is quite simple, yet like the title of the blog indicates; it has a certain depth to it as well. His poems are all free style, and most of them related to love and self expression.

From his poems, I’d recommend the read “Chess”. It is a small poem, which seems like it’s about a simple game of chess, yet it can have a deeper meaning related to life too. Other reads I enjoyed in his blog were “I cherish my wrinkles” and “Life”. I also liked the verse dedicated to his late brother, Warren.

Even though a lot of the poetry is based on love, there isn’t an overwhelming essence in them. All his poems are well labeled and easy to search based on the category.

Suggestions:
I would suggest a white or light color background with black fonts rather than the current combination of colors. It hurts the eye sometimes to read light grey on dark grey. The design if you wish to keep it simple, feel free to do so, it does not hamper the attraction at all. Other than that, I have no further suggestions.


Who am I?

I’m Leo; author of I Rhyme Without Reason, co-host of Review Tuesdays here at Jingle Poetry along with Someone is Special. Hope you enjoy reading about the blogs, and do go read them too. Dennis, a bit of depth is always welcome for me, and I very much enjoyed reading your blog. Do let me know how you found it, or if I went wrong somewhere!




9 comments:

Someone Is Special said...

Leo, wonderful review.. Nice to know about this blog.. Sure will visit this blog as soon as possible..

--Someone is Special--

annell said...

Nice post. I enjoyed the review, and will go to see Go.

Anonymous said...

thanks a lot leo for this wonderful intro. i will take trip to his blog.

trisha
mydomainpvt.wordpress.com

Kristen Haskell said...

Thoughtful post Leo. I will check out his blog.

Akelamalu said...

Good review.

Thanks for visiting me and taking the time to comment. :)

TALON said...

Terrific review, Leo. Dennis's writing is really good. I've enjoyed very much every piece of his poetry I've read.

Jingle Poetry said...

I always enjoyed his poetry.
smart choice.
well done, leo.

Dennis Go said...

Thanks Leo for the wonderful review of my blog.

I'll try your suggestion of changing the colors to make it a little more eye-friendly, although I like it the way it is.

I'll post some of my rhyming pieces to let you guys critique on them.

I'm quite new here in this poetry blogging cyberspace. Nice to meet you guys. Hope you enjoyed my writings.

Thanks :)

lynnaima said...

Cool! thanks