Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Meet the Poet on Wednesdays

Meet the Poet Fiveloaf




Share with us a little about yourself...

Thank you Jingle for counting me worthy to be included into your Promising Poets 'Meet the Poet' session and for lifting up the veil of elusiveness which I have accidentally cloaked myself in since the inception of this blog.

To begin with, I am banana skin, English had never been my mother tongue and I have never studied poetry. I was drawn to poetry by chance but since young, I admire great captions, slogans and wordplay.

My first and last writing experience began and ended with a slogan competition in which I won the first prize and a trip to Europe back in 1993 before this blog came about.

As a student, I was trained in Interior Design and currently, I am fulfilling my lifelong dream of building and selling boutique bungalows for a living.
I share the same hometown with shoe extraordinaire Jimmy Choo and the queen of squash Nicol David in the sunny island called Penang- a Unesco listed cultural city situated off the north western coast of Malaysia famous for its food and I live amidst swaying palms and colonial settings. Besides poetry writing, I think I cook better than I write!


How did your blog come about? Do you remember the time you write your first poem?

Wow! This is a very nostalgic question. To recollect, it all began in November 2009 when I was asked to complete a poem for fun. That poem was titled "a paradox too lovely to forgo" which had my muse writing the first three lines and I did the rest. Well, she thought it was fascinating and interesting enough and urged me to continue writing and I did! And so, the rest is history as they say! (That poem by the way can be found in both our blogs)


Please tell us a little bit of your blog and what it means to you.

My poetry blog captures the most fanta-bulous and theatrical period of my life and it chronologically stage all the drama and shadow play deliberated in between. There is a lot of emotions encapsulated inside it and it is very precious to me. I look forward to have my poems published one day!


Do you write more than just poetry? What else do you write?

Besides poems, I write cheques. Well, (haha! just kidding) I supposed if I can squeeze in more hours in the future, it would probably be longer poems. Mine is like a mini skirt, short and sweet!


What is the favorite poem you have written so far?

My favorite poem? It depends on where the ball landed on the roulette table. At this moment I should say "tale from the sky"?!


Tale From The Sky By Fiveloaf

a foggy evening
a pale freezing sky
a swish of rain
a fall down its leaves..
.
a melt of you
a finger down your spine
a mango cusp the tree
a drip into the river..
.
a tune on its bark
a summer on your lobe
a canopy open
a twinkle of refreshing..
.
a tale from the sky
a couple in smiles
a playground of fingers
the waters sparkle..


Love it, the imagery is very very stunning…
And we are very glad you share your work with Jingle Poetry Potluck! What style of poem do you write the most?

My pleasure. I am not acquainted with styles or technical jargons known to trained poets and therefore I write unrestrictedly.


When do you write the most? When you are happy, sad, lonely, day or night?

I write at no particular time. But yes, I would say feelings and emotions of the moment play a big part as to when I write.


Do you have a favorite poet or a favorite poem by them? Why?

No I don't. I never read poems by others except the writings of our talented fellow blogger poets.


Do you enjoy reading books? What are the best books you ever read?

Yes, I do enjoy reading and I must say that 99.9% of the time, I am inclined to read books on facts rather than fiction. I was not built with a lot of patience and that is the reason why I have never touched a single novel in my whole life!


What poets in the blogo-sphere do you like to read or visit most?

Among the talented poets out there, I should say my muse's writing interest me most. She is none other than sophiasticated.wordpress.com. She seldom writes though but when she does, it is often a masterpiece! Her piece de raisoinne is "First Time". Read it and you will know why! I also thought that 'almondjoycie' is an incredible rhymer and 'bing', 'desiree' as well as 'imagina' is very versatile.

Sophiasticated: http://sophiasticated.wordpress.com/

Almondjoycie: http://joycefied.wordpress.com/

Desiree: http://fuifduif.wordpress.com/

Pinklady: http://pinklady-bing.blogspot.com/

Imagina: http://imagina1.wordpress.com/


I happen to know all of the poets you mentioned here, most of them have been active both in Thursday Poets Rally and Potluck Poetry…Thanks for reminding me of them and their work. Excellent poet bloggers indeed.

I looked at the piece you mentioned, it is truly awesome indeed:


First Time by Sophiasticated

My left hand is cold;
while my right hand is warm.
The coldness of my left hand,
is mine;
While the warmth in my right hand,
is yours.


What are your inspirations? Where do you feel most comfortable to write?

My muse gave me inspiration and I can focus anywhere. When I am not with my laptop, I am also comfortable jotting down my thoughts on star bucks serviettes or saving them into my mobile phone.


You have been with Jingle Poetry Potluck for quite a while. What are the benefits of you participating it? Are you a member of any other poetry communities?

This potluck gives writers like me an opportunity to post my earlier works. It also gives me the opportunity to mingle with others who speak a common lingo. Furthermore, the awards that came with it are aptly designed and a morale booster. I join other poetry communities such as Poets United as well.


Do you like music? Who is your favorite musician? Why?

I love music but I don't have any favorite musician.


What advice would you give someone who is interested in starting a poetry blog?

Never write in pursuit of fame. Never write to please your audience. Never plagiarize. Write because you enjoy writing. Write to please yourself. Be yourself.


Do you enjoy humor? what's your favorite joke?

Yes I love humor but I don't have a favorite joke.


Just for fun, fill in the blanks...

Poetry moves life.
I love poetry because it records life.
Without poetry, life wilts.


Happy Belated Birthday!

December 25

December 28


Happy Birthday!
December 29
Victoria Ceretto-Slotto: http://liv2write2day.wordpress.com

December 29, 2010

January 1

January 4




Please visit Fiveloaf, Vibhuti B, Victoria, Pat, Kavita, and Ina to wish them Happy (Belated) Birthday Today! Thanks 4 The SUPPORT of 2010, See You In 2011…


We will give this place some peace and come back on January 8th, 2011…See You Then!


21 comments:

JamieDedes said...

Well done, Ji.

Well done, Fiveloaf -

Fiveloaf, you have showed yourself to be - in addition to a good poet - a charming and funny-fun-loving person. Nice to get to know you better.

Cheers! :-)

sophia said...

thanks jingle and fiveloaf for giving me compliments. may God bless you. :)

Rajlakshmi said...

thats a wonderful interview... got to read so many of his wonderful writes :)

birthday wishes to all the birthday babies :)

M.L. Gallagher said...

Reading this interview was sheer delight!

Happy Birthday to all the late December poets!

budh.aaah said...

Yayyy! Fiveloaf way to go. He is very intereting..I love his work. Cingrats Fiveloaf!

budh.aaah said...

Oh gee I meant congrats to you Jing too for choosing him.

signed...bkm said...

Nice to learn so much more about fiveloaf....he puts out some great poetry...nice to see his smiling face...congrat's FiveLoaf....bkm

imagina1 said...

It's nice to know more about yourself, Kris, such a fun and unique person. Always been a fan of your work, congrats. Thanks for mentioning me, and what a great interview, Ji :)

Happy birthday to all poets above too, Happy New Year!

Vibhuti B said...

Awwww Thankyou so much Jingle and all of you here for such sweet birthday wishes! Belated wishes to Fiveloaf. May your poetries be appreciated more and more with each day in the new year of your life! :D
Also warm birthday wishes to all, Victoria, Pat, Kavita, and Ina. Wish you'll a rocking year ahead friends.
Mwahs n hugs
Vibz

PS: this just goes to show how talented we Capricorns are, isnt it? ;)

Jingle Poetry said...

Thanks to everyone who commented here

Happy 2011.

fiveloaf said...

thank you jingle and everyone else for your wonderful comments- best wishes for the year ahead!

Ina said...

♥¸¸.☆*´¸.☆*´ღ`*☆.¸`*☆.¸¸♥¸¸.☆*´¸.☆*´
★[̲̅̅H̲̅][̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅]★[̲̅̅N̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅W̲̅]★[̲̅̅Y̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅]★
♥¸¸.☆*´¸.☆*´ღ`*☆.¸`*☆.¸¸♥¸¸.☆*´¸.☆*´
♥ 2011 ♥

Sill said...

So heart felt!

fiveloaf said...

wow ina! how did you do that?

Jingle said...

wow, Ina, you are super creative girl...

Happy New Year, Everyone!

almond joycie said...

fiveloaf, my member in the mutual admiration society, thanks for noting me as a poet you like to read. it was great getting to know you better through this interview.

I wrote a new blog post, somewhat inspired by you. http://joycefied.wordpress.com/2011/01/01/ive-lost-my-sense-of-whimsy/

giovannicucullo said...

Congrats Fiveloaf! I always enjoy making my way to your blog. I hope to visit Penang one day, it seems like quite an amazing and diverse city.
I wish you continued success and happiness for the New Year!

Giovanni Cucullo

Jingle said...

Every and Each one of you is an angel to our community,

your words mean a world to us,
Thanks for stopping by and shed a few sweet sentences here..

Blessings...

See you all on Sunday Potluck...

sillyfrogsusan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
fuifduif said...

Heyyy, my name.. Cool! Thanks :) Great interview.. :) good initiative!

mypastmademe said...

I just found this and picked out Fiveloaf's interview first. Very insightful and absolutely love the two poems. A great read, thanks Jingle! I will read the others ongoing :)