Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Sunday, November 21, 2010

SUNDAY RALLY DISPATCH, 11/21/2010

Sunday Rally Dispatch is a collection of news updates of interest to our poet-blogger community members.  Your contributions from your area of the world or your interests are welcome. Please forward them to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com. Contributions are subject to editorial discretion and space constraints. Feedback welcome.
Photo8
SAY HELLO TO TEN JINGLE COMMUNITY POET-BLOGGERS: Given the international nature of our community and the number of pro-peace poems that are published among our members, we thought this would be of interest. World Hello Day is celebrated - unofficially - every year on November 21. The objective is to say hello to ten people . By greeting others, the message is for world leaders to use communication rather than force to settle conflicts.The event began in 1973 by Brian and Michael McCormack in response to the Yom Kippur War. Since then World Hello Day has been observed by people in 180 countries. So how about visiting ten of our blogs - any ten - to read and say “Hi”? You can use the links from last Monday’s Poetry Potluck on this site. Try visiting some blogs you haven't read before.
CATCHING UP ON CINDY TAYLOR AND MARILYNN MAIR: In earlier editions of Dispatch we announced that Cindy had won Food Blogger of the Month from the South African BlaBla Blog. She’s now a regular item there. Marilynn just announced that her book on Brazilian music is published and on its way to distributors. Amazon has Marilynn & Paulo’s (her Brazilian collaborator) new Choro book listed for sale, for a discount. You can pre-order it here: Brazilian Choro – A Method for Mandolin. Kudos, Ladies!
ENGAGING, ENTERTAINING, AND ENLIGHTENING: Heather Grace Stewart, a new member of the Jingle community of poets, got rave reviews for her second book of poetry, Leap, published this year. “the essential drama is between the ordinary daily routine, when ‘there are/deadlines to meet,/bills to pay,/diapers to change’ (‘Coping’), and the extraordinary ‘other’ which both haunts and tantalises, the poetry finding its occasion in the unexpected emergence of the latter in seemingly simply everyday situations ...” MORE

*******
           *******


This week Dispatch is honored to interview Canadian poet, writer, and photographer, Talon, on her her popular blog, her writing, and the novel, Synchronicity, which she just completed.  


Thank you so much for the interview, Jamie. It was fun to think more in-depth about blogging and what it means to me. 

When did you start blogging and why?

I started blogging in April of 2008, Jamie. I can’t believe it will soon be three years. No one I knew blogged so it was virgin territory for me. I thought it was a great place to post photographs (I love photographing nature), some poetry, some short fiction, and didn’t really think about anyone else ever looking at what I did. Blogging gave me a fun place to play and be creative in an outlet I hadn’t explored before. The interaction between bloggers, which I hadn’t even considered, has turned out to be one of the greatest aspects for me.
How did you get interested in poetry and when and why did you start writing it?
I’ve been writing poetry since I was a little girl. I wrote my first poem when I was seven (wrote my first story at age five).  I’ve always liked playing with words and poetry is word play for me.
What are the benefits to you of participation in Thursday Poets Rally and Jingle Potluck?
It’s amazing to read so many talented writers and to meet so many wonderful people.
What don't we know about you that we would find surprising?
Hmmm…I’ve won medals competing in Tae Kwon Do.


Wow! I never would have guessed. I understand that's quite a workout.
What other kinds of writing do you do and why?
I write fiction—short stories and novels. In answer to the why, it’s because the writing simply has to come out. I would imagine it’s like that for most writers.


That's certainly the way it is for me: must be expressed!
What are you reading right now?
I’m re-reading Bill Bryson’s A Short History of Nearly Everything and first time reading The Blythes Are Quoted by L.M. Montgomery. A day without reading is like a day without sunshine for me. 
What are you long term goals for your blog and your writing?
No real goals for blogging. I enjoy it. It’s a place where I can be creative and enjoy myself and meet some really interesting, creative, and talented people. It’s pure pleasure. As for writing, it’s always been a part of my life— personally and professionally—and I hope it always will be. I’ve had many short stories and poems published and I am now concentrating on getting a novel published. This novel, entitled Synchronicity, explores life in a small town and how a stranger’s visit can have a long-lasting impact on the lives of the locals she encounters.


Thanks for allowing the interview, Talon. Don't forget to alert us to the book's progress so that we may celebrate with you.

NATIONAL NOVEL WRITING MONTH: Congratulations to all the community members who have taken the challenge to write a 50,000 word  draft novel in thirty days.  There are about eight doing so. It’s the kind of effort where you can’t loose. Even if you don’t make the requisite word count by close of the event, you have some material written and you’ve probably learned something about yourself and writing. As poets, readers may well find Marilynn Mair’s effort the most intriguing. She’s writing her 50,000 word story in décimas.
A décima refers to a ten-line stanza of poetry, and the song form generally consists of forty-four lines (an introductory four-verse stanza followed by four ten-line stanzas). The décima deals with a wide range of subject matter, including themes that are philosophical, religious, lyrical, and political. 
THE GIRL EFFECT BLOGGING CAMPAIGN: At least two poets from the Jingle community posted original poems in solidarity with the Girl Effect Campaign. Says blog campaign sponsor, Tara Sophia Mohr, "... by investing in girls in the developing world, we make an incredibly effective investment in eradicating poverty ... " Our poems are:
Dare by Julie Jordan Scott
and
I Am the Answer by Jamie Dedes

Amanda and Kavita would love to see you back here
TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. 
for the opening of Monday Poetry Potluck. 

SUNDAY RALLY DISPATCH just noted that
Riika has created a button for Thursday Poets Rally
The code is on this site to your right.

In an email to the Dispatch, Ji announced the next Rally will be held the first week of December.


Happy Thanksgiving
to those who will celebrate it this week.
Please mail news announcements to Jamie Dedes at jamiededes@rocketmail.com.


14 comments:

Jingle Poetry said...

love these news,

Very thrilled to see Heather and her smile, a BIG treat to our community...

Talon, Glad to meet you and know about your blogging history here...
Almost three years, way to go...Your photo images are always refreshing, inspirational, and entertaining...

Keep us posted about your book progress....

Jamie Dedes, your talent on NEWS REPORT is unbeatable...

Thanks for the mention of Thursday Poets Rally button. Riika is the one who created it and she deserves
the mention.

Thanks for the love to Thursday Poets Rally and Jingle Poetry Potluck, Riika, Jamie, Heather, Talon, and EVERYONE who have been participants to both previously...

P Lease get ready to come join us for week 11 potluck fun..

Everyone is WELCOME,
EVERYONE is invited.

See you then...
Greetings from Jingle
lots of sunshine and smiles....

Jingle Poetry said...

Keep it up,
Those who have been doing NaNoWriMo writing....

Celebrating a year, keep it up...
Hope that all of YOU reach the goal by the end of November...

what a busy month...

Happy Happy Thanksgiving to all of YOU.
Keep Feeling Happy,
Have A Fantastic Turkey Day.
xxx

JamieDedes said...

Thanks, Ji. I corrected the post to credit Riika.

Riika, my apologies. You are so awesome and so generous with your tech talents. Thank you.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Thanks for joining my blog, I have returned the honours, 8 pm Central American Time is about 3 am here in the UK so will have to give tonight a miss .
I shall however join in whenever I can/
Yvonne.

JJ said...

I am following you back. I love your site! Thanks a million!

The Disconnected Writer
http://thedisconnectedwriter.blogspot.com/

Heather Grace Stewart said...

Well, now my smile is even bigger, Jingle, Jamie, and everyone else! It feels great to have found this community. Thanks for all that you do.

ljm (Amias and Liquidplastic) said...

First of all, allow me to say I enjoyed myself this week here at your most unique community. Also, the printing is so kind to my eyes, thank you.

Congratulations to Heather .... wonderful to see women sharing, it helps build a wonderful international sisterhood.

I really enjoyed reading about Talon, I have enjoyed reading some of her poetry. Congratulations Talon, you are a very talented writer.

I thank you all for visiting me over at my blog ... your comments, understanding, and encouragement is welcomed by this old one. Peace and blessings to each of you. I wish you all ... a very happy thanksgiving!

ljm (Amias and Liquidplastic) said...

Oh, I forgot to mention Cindy and Marilynn .. Congratulations to you both! Keep on keeping on!

Rajlakshmi said...

congratulations to Heather :D checked her site too :D
enjoyed this week's dispatch...

TALON said...

Congratulations to Cindy, Marilyn, and Heather!

As always, Jamie, I thoroughly enjoyed the dispatch and thank you so much for the interview.

haisley said...

Hi Jaymie!! i WISH TO READAND CHECK ALL THE BLOG I really enjoy doing it but most of the time I'm busy teaching as well as studying,.. I love this blog world wher5e every one appreciates someone's work and for somehow I get connected with all of you.. Thanks a lot and more power to all!!!

Cindy said...

Thank you so very much for the mention, I'm feeling very special :)

Olivia said...

Wonderful job Jamie..

Nice to read about Talon.. I often go at her site on weekends and raid all over her blog.. Someday it is her brightly captured photographs.. Other days, it's her eloquently written short stories.. Often I have wondered how creativity flows in her veins..

Talented indeed she is.. :)

Love xoxox

Anonymous said...

Finally blog with useful informations.