Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wednesday's Meet The Poet

Greetings and salutations! It's that time again! Another wonderful Wednesday at Jingle Poetry. Welcome to Meet the Poet. Lovely Annie (that's me!) and Tracy Harris have interviewed stunning individuals of the poetic elite on a weekly basis and this week we continue the trend. This week I want to invite you into a world of magic, playing pretend, pixie dust, dreams and jars upon jars aglow with fireflies.

 Welcome to Magic In The Backyard ! The glamorous and enchanting hostess is greeting us now. Shall we?


Meet The Poet: Kellie Elmore






Annie: 
Tell me a little about yourself, where you live, what your life is like.

Kellie: 
I am Kellie Elmore and I grew up in beautiful Southeast Tennessee. I am currently a stay at home mother of one. I enjoy anything that allows me to express myself creatively.  Poetry, music, journal, blogging, design etc. Art is an undefined emotion escaping through a physical being. Freedom. Life. Oxygen for the soul.


Annie: 
Social Muze...Tell us about it!!


Kellie: OK! I'm always down for a name-drop!  Hmmm, well... I am on this site AP (AllPoetry) and I noticed a lot of people on there do much more than just write poems. They are creative individuals and a lot of them have bi-polar disorder and others are just loners. So, I wanted to create a place where they could be more social, meet people like them, express themselves in other outlets rather than just posting a poem. Art is such a healer and so freeing and I believe that creative expression is a missing link like music is in education
 Depression is treated through creative expression as well, and I want to make Social Muze like a sort of safe haven to freely BE and allow people to make friends, therefore, SOCIAL MUZE.






Our mission is to provide creative tools and outlets for artists of all muses to create, collaborate, share, learn, perfect and promote their craft by helping each other via critiques, group support and creative projects.
Poets, artists, authors, photographers, musicians, graphic designers all share a common muse…creativity! Social Muze brings them all together to network on common ground in the name of art.

Play. Create. Collaborate.


Annie: It is a very supportive community! I'm happy to be a part of it. Thank you for creating!
 On your blog i noticed that there is something new posted under The Wish Jar...do tell...



Kellie: 
The wish jar is really new (like two days new) I just wanted to give some interaction to my blog and see what other people come up with when it comes to "fantasy" and dreams. I am all about the innocence of life, that gets lost as we grow older. I remember being younger and the backyard and everything around me could so easily be turned into something magical with just a little imagination. Now days that's hard to do. I noticed my son has been tainted by video games and like most kids, don't get outside as often as I did as a child.

Annie:  "growing up" I don't even get the concept!! I miss playing pretend!! I felt the same when I was little. Magic everywhere! I love the wish jar idea and plan on offering dreams and wishes.

Kellie: As far as my blog, it too is really new. I have just been slowly importing my poems from AllPoetry.
I just started blogging seriously about a month ago.

Annie: Your blog is awesome! and you just started? I thought you were a pro..
What is it about poetry that makes you want to write?

Kellie: Poetry is an amazing outlet for self expression. Whatever you can dream up in your mind to represent a feeling, moment or whatever it is that you want to capture, poetry allows you to do so in the rawest way, and it's completely unique. What cannot possibly be described in a sentence or explanation, you can paint it's picture with words. Poetry is my therapy. No need for medications!


Annie: Can you remember writing your first poem?


Kellie:
Yes I can actually. I was probably around twelve or thirteen years old and I had this view on life and how things should be. I penned it all out in black and white in a somewhat epic poem. I have never shared it with anyone except my father, who praised my writing so much that I didn't want to hear anything otherwise.


Annie: What style of poem do you write most often?

Kellie: 
I began writing rhyme. However, until I started reading other poets regularly, I didn't know any other way. So, I tried my hand at free verse and it was completely liberating and well, free. 


Annie:
Are there any styles of poetry you find difficult or annoying? Do you write more than just poetry?


Kellie: 
I always felt restricted with rhyme and it's rules. So, I have continued in free verse ever since, with an occasional dabble in other forms. I have attempted short stories once or twice.






Annie:
What is your favorite poem? One of YOUR poems to be specific!


Kellie:
Wow. That's tough because I am so critical of my own work, but I suppose I would have to say, "To Sleep in a Cradle of Ticking Hands" because it was written for a class I was taking on Charles Bukowski. I was opened up to a whole new way of writing and I am very proud of that piece. 




Annie:
 I really dig your poetic style. In fact, here is one of my favorites so far!

Translation In Reverie


Sunday morning slept on the lips of daisies

and eve’s fading perfume.
Emitting sighs of solitude into the heavens,
from passer-by’s who heard her secrets.
Translation in reverie for departed winds,
inhaled in tender mimics of sleeping babies
upon a mothers breast.


Annie:
Now, do you have a favorite poet?

Kellie:
 Famous poets would be Bukowski, Twain and John Clare. 


Annie:
Can you give me a favorite poem by one of the authors?

Kellie:
 My fave John Clare poem is "I Am"

The poem that inspired me to pursue free verse is by a poet named Daizee called, "Lull of Rains Window", exquisite.

Annie:
I would love to read "Lull of Rains Window" if Daizee permits.

Any mentors?


Kellie:
The most important mentor in my life has been my son, who challenges  me to be the best at anything I set out to do...and he expects it, and deserves it as well.



Annie:
Your son sounds wonderful! I recently noticed a poem on your blog inspired by him. Beautiful!
Do you have a place of inspiration? A time or location that stimulates the creative muse?


Kellie:
 I can write just about anywhere. My notepad in my phone is full of scribbles! I can be riding in the mountains or just laying down to sleep and a line or idea will hit me.





Annie:
Be careful when riding in the mountains people! Poetry at work!
So, what is your favorite book?

Kellie: I don't really have a favorite book. I prefer biographies. I'm not into fiction much. I enjoy learning about people, where they came from and how they got to be where they are.


Annie: Do you have a favourite quote that inspires you? Your life or writing?

Kellie:
The serenity prayer speaks volumes to me. I used to worry a lot about things until I learned that prayer. It's truly words to live by.



God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Annie:
That is a favorite of mine as well!
Any other creative passions?

Kellie:
I enjoy most anything that allows me to express myself. I like to journal and I play with photography when I'm not reading or writing poetry.

Annie:
 What is your favourite type of music?

Kellie:
I love music, all genres. It is soul food. Music is such a powerful influence in my life.


Annie:
If your were a singer/musician/band what would  be the name of your band?
What is the first album called? And what is the name of the first single on the album?


Kellie:
"Don't quit your day job", I can't sing but I do it anyway!

"Plug your ears" :)

"Make her stop"


Annie:
I love it!!! I'm going to have to come out with a blog post listing the Meet The Poet bands soon!

Do you have some favorite poets in the blogging community?

Kellie:
I am a member of a poetry site called AllPoetry and I have many faves over there. Daizee, Girl-Interrupted, Joseph Alan to name a few. I encourage everyone to go check out their work!

Annie:


If they are anything like the individuals I met at Social Muze then they are amazingly talented...and kind.

I love dreams and would love to know what you dreamt about last?

Kellie:
I have not dreamed in so long! Well, I'm sure I have and just can't remember, but I have decided to keep a dream journal as a personal project. I will be posting them on my blog.


Annie:


You WILL start remembering! Since you already set the intention. I can't wait to read about them on your blog!

Love this question: What person, living or dead, would you most like to have over for dinner? Why, and what would you serve? What will you wear?

Kellie:
Matthew McConaughey! I could just listen to him talk all day long. I would probably cook some of my homemade chicken enchiladas and I have no idea what I would wear! It makes me nervous just thinking about it! :)

Annie:
Um...makes me nervous too!

Strange question: What animal do you feel the most connected with?

Kellie:
Ducks lol! I tell my hubby all the time that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation, I want to be a duck. They have the water, the air and they just relax all day long. Ahhh.

Annie:
My husband loves ducks! he wants his very own duck to serve him ice Cream!

Kellie: 
Your hubby and my hubby would get along!


Annie:


Since ducks are present in both of our lives I thought it would be interesting to learn about the symbolism behind the duck. Turns out that Celtic symbolism speaks of the duck as a representation of transitions due to the migratory behaviors. Ducks are seen as a symbol of grace.They also represent sensitivity; especially in regards to the environment. Ducks are praised for their simplicity, resourcefulness, adaptability and beauty.
Hm...I think it's a good fit! You are beautiful, a natural empathic soul and have adapted and survived many transitions in your life with the poetic grace!!

Now that we have all taken a peek behind the veils of reality and into the deeper realms of symbol it is time to  turn our attention to the night sky. What story will the stars tell for Taurus this week?

Ah! See below:




Taurus (April 20-May 20)

The worst painting in history is hanging in San Francisco's De Young Museum. It is "Noel and Bob" by Joan Brown. It's so awkwardly garish and trivially monstrous that I can only conclude Brown possessed what might be termed "negative genius." It's not just that she had no talent. She actually had the opposite of brilliant talent. And yet I must confess I had a good time gazing at this anti-artistic botch. I thoroughly enjoyed laughing at it, and was quite pleased at the jokes my companions and I made about it. I suggest that in the coming week you try something similar: enjoying the entertainment value and educational merit of clumsy, ungainly, out-of-whack stuff. Doing so will sharpen your wits for the not-too-distant future, when you will come into proximity to a lot of understated beauty and elegance and grace. 



Kellie, thank you so much for allowing us into your backyard! It is full of magic as is your presence. i am honored to consider you a fellow poet and friend.

Until next time...

Peace!

Lovely Annie


13 comments:

Jingle Poetry said...

loved her blog,
she was in our potluck last week,
Glad to learn from you.
I read your poems again, very beautiful work...

jingle...
unbeatable job, Annie!

sharplittlepencil said...

I think I posted at the Wish Jar, but it said I had a duplicate post before I hit the button?! Ahhhh the joy of 'puters!

http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/free-flight/

woih said...

WOOOOHOOOOO!!! Love the Wednesday interviews. And wow, this week was a long one, that's a good thing.

Kellie, it was really cool getting to see a bit about you. I like biographies for the same reason, you get to see behind the curtain so to speak. And LONG LIVE the ducks!!!Don't let Annie fool ya though, she wouldn't let me have one in the house. Poor homeless ducks :(

Annie, principasia...wonderous interview and a perfect poet to show to us all.

Laura Lynn said...

great interview! I am eager to read you blog and check out Social Muze!

Lovely Annie said...

Thanks Jingle! This is so much fun! I just keep connecting with wonderful individuals like Kellie!

annell said...

Great Post!

Stacy said...

Just heard about your site and read Kellie's interview. Congrats and I'll be checking out the site more...


Daizee

sillyfrogsusan said...

Well done again!
Great choice in Kellie!

JamieDedes said...

Annie and Kelli, I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this post. Fine work, Annie. Thank you!

And Kelli, I hadn't made it to your site before, but I just made a flying visit to your blog and you social networking site. Both look most enticing and I will return when I've completed all my catch up work.

Thanks again.
Jamie

Anonymous said...

thanks a lot Annie for this intro to a marvelous poetess.

just loved the poem you added in the post.

Wish you all the best!

trisha
mydomainpvt.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Olivia for inviting me to join this blog. My poetry and blog is about the living with depression and C-PTSD and despite the overwhelming forces, staying alive by putting one foot in front of the other, moving forward. I hope others will find solace in my poetry.

tracyhsays.com said...

Very nice to finally get here and meet you, Kellie. You are a wonderful addition to Meet the Poet. I enjoyed my visit to your blog. Thanks for being our guest here at Jingle Poetry :)


Annie...You found a jewel in this poet. Great interview :) Sorry I was so late in commenting, it's been one of those weeks.

Olivia said...

aaaah Kellie- here you are: wait till I jump back to read the full volume LOVE xx