Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Monday, October 11, 2010

Review Tuesdays - The Salad Bowl

I think poets are always hungry. Hungry to write more, to put their thoughts in rhyme(or not!), perhaps even hungry in the literal sense! But its rare to come across that hunger in the space’s name. I think, without doubt, Word Salad is a delicious blog! And today, we dive in to savor some avocado, feta cheese and olives in the salad bowl, along with the lettuce! Bon appetit, friends!

Who’s the Master Chef?
The master chef at Word Salad is Luke Prater, resident in South Devon, England, thirty three years old. He has a degree in English Literature. His love for English began early, but the passion for poetry started much later, when he was twenty seven, and sought a much needed path to escape stressful times. Prose was far too long, and the poet’s journey began here... evolving into a big part of his life, and giving him a much needed mode for expressions.

The Salad Bowl:


The blog, Word Salad, according to the archives has been active since April 2010. There are 31 posts till date, and various forms of poetry, like tercets, sonnets, villanelles etc. along with free verse, form key ingredients. The design, like the name, is simple. A light grey background with black header gives an attractive look to it. One sidebar holds all widgets and a separate page is there for the awards of appreciation from the poetic community. There is a contact widget, for those who wish to send Luke a message and also the subscribe button is enabled in the sidebar so you can get his updates by e-mail.

Key Ingredients:
Luke’s love for tasty poetry is evident from each post. The blog has 29 poems over various forms. I’m quite new to the triolet form myself, and his latest post, Slipped from Sixers is a perfect one, IMO. Rhyme and flow mark almost all his poetry, the sonnet and villanelle his most preferred so far going away from free verse. The poetry also has a lyrical quality about them, and it can easily be read in tune with a beat to it. The similarity to spoken English is there in some of his poems, the most recent of which is World Makes The Music Go Round. This also makes me applaud the way he titles his poems, and wonder if it is in flow too or well thought out!

The poetry has a distinct structure to it, and images are quite matching to the posts. Themes vary from nature and sex to hair and politics. When he attempts a form that’s difficult for some of us to comprehend, he does give an explanation. He even, at times, tells us what inspired him to write that poem. There is depth even in simple language here.

Suggestions:
Perhaps, a different template might suit you better. Try one with a custom header perhaps, with a salad bowl as the image. Though, I emphasize, it is just a suggestion and you’re free to retain this one of course!

The Chef de Review:
I’m Leo, author of I Rhyme Without Reason, co-host of Review Tuesdays here at Jingle Poetry along with Someone is Special. Hope you enjoy reading about the blogs, and do go read them too. Hope I did this review justice, Luke. Do let me know how you found it, or if I went wrong somewhere!



16 comments:

lukepraterswordsalad said...

Wow thanks Leo, that was an pleasant surprise as I arrived looking for PotLuck entries to peruse. I like the theme I have, simplicity works for me and I find can often be far more powerful/emphatic than complex sites with all kind of things going on that seem to distract/detract from the actual poetry. I can put a salad bowl where the green grass pic is, just below left of the header, thanks for the idea of the bowl. I am thinking of getting a pay version anyway, which will allow more modification.

Thanks so much for the wonderful review, nice to be appreciated. One minor thing - Poetry for me did begin at College/Uni, but after that stopped as I pursued a Master's in Anthropology/Music. So it reentered my life at 27, when very unwell.

Thanks again, glad you are liking my recipe, my friend

Warmest Salad

Luke

P.A. said...

Luke deserves this recognition. His work speaks to me and after reading them I feel enriched.

Thank you Leo.... Luke is fab in my book.... :) P.A.

sillyfrogsusan said...

Wonderful choice...Luke teaches me something every time he describes his many themes.
Well done and very tasty was this Tuesday review!

sillyfrogsusan said...

Luke offers a learning experience with every visit...I had no idea poetry had so many forms.
This Review was also one "tasty" treat! Kudos!
Don't change a thing :-)

Jingle Poetry said...

wise choice, Leo...
absolutely beautiful presentation of word Salad, he deserves it,
poem on, Lurk,
Thanks for the full support of Jingle poetry...

you rock!

fabulous work, Leo!

jingle

Amanda said...

I have to agree, a fabulous choice to feature Luke's work here, he is such a talented poet and his work's unique. I am proud you're part of this community. You can also have a look at the fabulous page for poets Luke has created. ..called Facial Expression Poetry Circle:- http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=107480952604804

You have done an excellent job Leo..always such a pleasure reading your reviews.
Hugs xx

Leo said...

@Luke,
thank u for appreciating the review! :) I read that part of why your poetry took second stage.. just hadn't put it here :) should I edit to include?

regards the design, yeah.. that's fine I think :D twas just a suggestion :)

lukepraterswordsalad said...

I think it's OK.. it's just that at University I did do a lot of poetry for those three years (I did a degree in English Lit with Creative Writing), but then it stopped for about five or six before re-entering my life.

Cheers

lukepraterswordsalad said...

I think it's OK.. it's just that at University I did do a lot of poetry for those three years (I did a degree in English Lit with Creative Writing), but then it stopped for about five or six before re-entering my life.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Luke is a brilliant poet. Simply brilliant. Thanks Leo and Jingle for sharing this fabulous poet with everyone.

he is awesome.

trisha
mydomainpvt.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Luke is a brilliant poet. Simply brilliant. Thanks Leo and Jingle for sharing this fabulous poet with everyone.

he is awesome.

trisha
mydomainpvt.wordpress.com

Rajlakshmi said...

read some the works and they are amazing...
Wonderfully compiled and presented.

Olivia said...

The 1st line itself told me it was Luke :D
The salads and the yummiest of all comes from him. No matter when I read him, his words leave me suspended in a different world altogether!!
It was really exciting to read about you and understand many a things that make you and your poetry.

Leo: I must say- you have done a very fine job again!! I am amazed how beautifully you have decorate the palette. I am sure Luke wouldn't have wanted it any other way :D

It's a great read about a great Poet amongst us. It beams me with pride to read your work and read about your Work.

Best Always

JamieDedes said...

Leo, I applaud you for selecting Luke's blog. You've done a fine job of review. Enjoyed much. I think a lesser person might have been intimidated. Luke's work is polished, well considered, sohisticated, and informed. He deserves a wider venue, and lets hope that happens for him one day.

Thank you both.

lukepraterswordsalad said...

Humbled by yr kind words, all. Thank you

Harshika said...

i already linked my poem in

but still here is the link :

http://harshikaram.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/the-7-deadly-sins-poetry-potluck/