Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Friday, September 24, 2010

Poem of the Week


As always, there is so much rich and beautiful poetry posted in Monday’s Pot Luck, that it is difficult to select just one poem from among the many. I was drawn to this sonnet posted by mairmusic:  

I looked into my heart while my eyes were

I looked into my heart while my eyes were
seduced by the froth of white blossoms on
a tree bedecked for spring knowing I’d gone
too long never intending to defer
this scrutiny forever just not fond
of mucking about in the wreckage left
by love the freshness of their beauty cleft
time’s lock in two and dazzled me beyond
resistance so walking through the first door
of neglect and the next of pain I came
to a quiet place quite without a name
or other sign that I’d been there before
but its serenity was palpable
and its emptiness radiantly full


(http://mairmusic.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/week-26-i-looked-into-my-heart-while-my-eyes-were/)

We are invited to share a moment of peace experienced in the middle of emotional turmoil. 

The images are fresh and engaging.  Read again “the froth of white blossoms,” and the speaker’s reflection:”the freshness of their beauty cleft/ time’s lock in two and dazzled me beyond/ resistance.” The sound of the words is as delightful as the images they convey. The end rhymes are present throughout the poem, and never call too much attention to themselves. The enjambment moves us through them and leads us deeper into the poem. The running together of sentences without punctuation works to keep the mind moving along with the experience of the speaker.

The final paradox of a “serenity” whose “emptiness” is radiantly full” is both true to experience, and delightful to read.

Mairmusic: powerful! Thank you for posting this.


Till next time, enjoy the reading and writing,
Talon: (www.talonted.blogspot.com)                                                                 


9 comments:

penelopephoebe said...

A beautiful poem and a worthy winner

Ramesh Sood said...

One can imagine the effort and love for poetry it needs to pick the best one out.. well you have done justice..its a beautiful poem deserved the win.. congratulations!!

Eric Alder said...

Great choice - congrats to mairmusic!

Jingle said...

Wise choice, I do love her work, she is image perfect and her words twist and turn like waterfall from a lovely mountain, her poem gives life to one's emotions in nature's presence.
Thanks!

mairmusic said...

Thanks so much-- I am honored. And this is especially sweet because I wrote this sonnet in week 26 of my blog (just posted week 101 yesterday) when no one was reading me except a couple of local friends. So the 2nd time around was clearly the charm for this sonnet. Love this venue-- great job to all who help run the Potluck!

Amanda said...

I have to agree that this is a wonderful choice for poem of the week. Marilynn is a well respected and most talented Lady whose friendship I greatly value and her artistry is unending!! Congratulations Marilynn, wonderful post Bill and I am so proud to be part of this wonderful community!! You fill my life with joy and warmth! xx

TALON said...

Bill, what an excellent choice. It is truly difficult to pick out one out of so many fabulous works, isn't it?

Congratulations, mairmusic - gorgeous poem!

signed...bkm said...

Agreed a beautiful piece of work -"its emptiness radiantly full"- perfect ending annoucing life's new beginning...bkm

Someone Is Special said...

A Beautiful Poem.. Lovely choice BILL and TALON..

--Someone Is Special--