Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Poem of the Week

Why must a dream deferred explode?
What is so wrong with a raisin,
sticky sweet in an oatmeal cookie?
Where, my children, are the band-aids?
I will fix your sores and kiss them better
with the syrupy sweet sugar of love I will
lift your burdens so they do not sag beneath you.
I believe in different Hughes of color as a
rainbow spreads and melts from one pigment to
another so might we dissipate from old dreams to new.

Each week we will highlight one poem from the many beautiful works of art that are posted in Jingle’s Open House Party. We begin with a poem by Lauren Michelle. “The Dreamer” was first posted for week 27 of the Poet’s Thursday Rally. We present it here by way of transition to and a fitting start for Jingle’s brand new meme.

I thoroughly enjoy the way that Lauren intentionally chooses what is sentimental and potentially cliched, debunks it, and then re-presents it in a delightful and refreshing way. Few could get away with a line like “I will fix your sores and kiss them better with the syrupy sweet sugar of love.” Normally this would make my teeth cringe! But here it is an artful celebration of caring, and a joy to read. The closing image focusing on the “different Hughes of color” emerging between the clear bands of rainbow colors is powerful, and embodies well the shift from old to new dreams.

Rich stuff! Thank you Lauren. Please take some time to visit Lauren’s blog and enjoy.

My name is Bill Cook (www.beginningpoetry.wordpress.com). Talon (www.talonted.blogspot.com) and I will be hosting the Poem of the Week on Saturdays. I hope you enjoy the Open House and all the related blogging activity.


15 comments:

Jingle said...

Awesome job!
I see how excited you are, very well prepared and excellent post.

I love Lauren's work and she has been a loyal participants at Thursday Poets Rally for a long time.

hope that she is happy yo see her work represented here.

Jingle said...

Awesome job!
I see how excited you are, very well prepared and excellent post.

I love Lauren's work and she has been a loyal participants at Thursday Poets Rally for a long time.

hope that she is happy yo see her work represented here.

Amanda said...

What a refreshing way Lauren so eloquently decribes the shift from old to new. A diffent take and very well penned. Simply splendid my friend, I loved it. Congratulations to Bill and Talon, I am honored to be part of this wonderful team and look forward to share a wonderful future right here with Jingle. BRAVO!!!!!!!! oxo

Someone Is Special said...

What a lovely Poem Lauren. A unique take.. I loved it totally...

Many Congratulations for Bill Cook and Talon for the great start..

Thanks for the platform Jingle...

--Someone Is Special--

RiikaInfinityy said...

Wonderful! Love it<3 Thank for the wonderful start:3 We have so much beautiful journey ahead, let's take on a roll people =D!

Gratz Lauren, you did a great job!

Emmanuel Ibok said...

The poem is outstanding but Bill Cook's analysis of the poem is the killer. Nice work you guys are doing here. My support all the way.

Cheers!

tracyhsays.com said...

The style of your piece is refreshing, and lines like "What is so wrong with a raisin,
sticky sweet in an oatmeal cookie?" are the reason. Well done.

Jingle Poetry said...

Beautiful style--wonderful images--excellent work.

http://angelacohan321.wordpress.com

signed...bkm said...

Lovely poem....thank you for posting...lauren ...this is wonderful...I am glad you have been recognized here...blessings..bkm

TALON said...

Thanks, Bill, for highlighting such a great poet.

Lauren, I enjoyed this poem and the questions - profound and ordinary - bumping into each other. Well done!

nohaemile said...

That is an amazing review for such a beautiful poem.

Thanks Bill and Talon for enriching our poetry experience.

nohaemile said...

That is an amazing review for such a beautiful poem.

Thanks Bill and Talon for enriching our poetry experience.

JamieDedes said...

Congratulations, Lauren, on a fine poem indeed ... a delightfully unique express ... well done. Thank you!

... and to, Bill, for the selection and well-considered analysis. Appreciate much for its clarity and for the time you took to do it. Thank you!

Look forward to more from Lauren, Bill, and Talon at various blogs and here at Jingle Poetry as the weeks go buy.

Anonymous said...

"How-do-you-do, just needed you to understand I've additional your internet site to my Google bookmarks because of your extraordinary blog layout. But seriously, I think your website has one particular of the freshest theme I've came across. It seriously assists make reading through your blog page a lot simpler."

--------------------------------------------
my website is
http://indiancurryrecipes.info

Also welcome you!

Anonymous said...

I am big! It's the pictures that got small.

[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Abercrombie-Jackets/132361870158377]abercrombie jackets[/url]