Welcome to Jingle Poetry!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Meet the Poet on Wednesdays!

                Greetings! Welcome to this wonderful Wednesday at Jingle Poetry. Every week Lovely Annie and Tracy Harris will be offering the chance to brush shoulders with the elite, the powerful, and overwhelmingly gorgeous at Meet the Poet.  We will be interviewing a different poet every week. To start this new endeavor, and our partnership, Tracy and I decided that we would devote the first two interviews to each other. I, Lovely Annie, interviewed the charming (hillbilly) poet, Tracy Harris this week and will be interviewed by Tracy for next week. This way we all get to know each other right away! Spending time chatting with Tracy actually made me laugh out loud…that is rare! I hope you enjoy the interview as much as I have been enjoying the process of connecting with Tracy!
 Meet The Poet: Tracy Harris

 First, tell us a little about yourself…if you don’t mind.


Tracy:
My name is Tracy Harris...I tell people I'm a Hillbilly from the mountains of East Tennessee, and it's true, that's why I tell them that. Born here and lived here ever since. My life is that of a very blue-collar factory worker...since I was 18 years old. I'm a very proud father of a wonderful daughter. I've been single for most of her life, so there has been lots of just me and her time...I wouldn't trade that for anything.

What is it about poetry that makes you want to write?

Tracy:
The truth is, I see myself as a renaissance man. I think in terms from an older era, back when folks knew and used a better collection of words. I love words and language. I think people should use their words, and try to have as many at their disposal as possible.
I'm a creative soul. I have always enjoyed creating, and acting in church plays, doing public speaking, and even from time to time, getting up and singing karaoke. But, those are things that I can't do often, and since one needs a creative outlet, and I can't draw or paint for crap, I'm relegated to using the things I have plenty of...words. I write poetry to express myself; to convey to others deep feelings, observations, and insights in a way that I find creatively satisfying. I can say “I Love you” and it always means so much when said sincerely, but write a string of Haiku about what that Love feels like in my soul, and the object of that Love gets a much, much deeper understanding of what my heart is trying to say. Of course, the same holds true regardless of what we are trying to express...Words are our best way to say things.

Can you remember writing your first poem?

Tracy:
 I can remember writing my first real poem, I was 14 years old, and I wrote it to my first bona fide girlfriend. You can read it on my blog.

http://tracyhsays.com/

What style of poem do you write most often?

Tracy:
I have no specific style, except that I do find I write structured poems that almost always include rhyme. However, Haiku, or some derivative thereof, is the form I find I always fall back on when I cannot find a means to write otherwise...Haiku is relaxing to me, and I find I lean on the form more the more I write.

Are there any styles of poetry you find difficult or annoying, and why?

Tracy:
I don't find any poetry annoying; it all has a place on the page. I don't like to read extremely angry poetry, I'm not, by nature, an angry person, so I don't relate very well to too much anger.
Any of the highly structured poetry forms are inherently difficult, and I'm probably just too dang lazy to give them their due attention.

Do you write more than just poetry?

Tracy:
My blog started (in 2009) as an outlet for me to rant and fuss in an entertaining way about the irritating things in life. I only occasionally included poetry in the blog. I began a relationship with a very lovely woman a few months ago, and on her lead I got involved in Jingles poetry blog...so now I write poetry nearly every day.

What poem, written by you, do you like the most, and why?

Tracy:
There are several, each with it's own reason, but one that pops into my head is called “Git'n Spring”, it's about country life here in the mountains. It's written in my hillbilly dialect, and was difficult to write, but turned out very well in the end, I think.

Do you have a favorite poet?

Tracy:
Robert Frost is one.

What is your favorite poem by Robert Frost?

Tracy:
Departmental” , it was the first poem I ever really kept in my mind

Departmental: by Robert Frost

Do you have a favorite place to write? What inspires you?

Tracy:
At home, in my recliner. Love, in all it's iterations, is my main source of inspiration.

What is your favorite type of music?

Tracy:
Classical and Pink Floyd

Which Pink Floyd album do you prefer?

Tracy:
Dark Side Of The Moon with Wish You Were Here a close second.Favorite song...Comfortably Numb

Favorite book?

Tracy:
The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy

How about a favorite quote…that inspires your life or writing?

Tracy:
Henry David Thoreau “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion.”

Any other creative passions?

Tracy:
 Photography

 If you could have dinner with any famous dead person who would it be, and where would you dine?

Tracy:
Thomas Jefferson. Michie Tavern

What do you recommend for dinner?

Tracy:
We would have the fried chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy.

Pretend you have a band. What is your part in the band and what is the band's name?

Tracy:
Tracy and The Trollers. I would sing.
Album Title:
NO CLUE (decided by Lovely Annie and Tracy Harris)



Are there any websites or blogs you cannot resist?

Tracy:
Are there blogs I can't resist...Yes :)

On that note, I would like to share that Tracy is a Pisces and shares a a birthday with Osama Bin Laden. Wow!!!
A little extra for Tracy:


Pisces Horoscope for week of September 16, 2010
Verticle Oracle card Pisces (February 19-March 20)
The eighth-century theologian known as the Venerable Bede compared our existence to a sparrow that flies in the window of a royal castle while the king is enjoying a winter feast with his entourage. Outside, a snowstorm is raging. Inside, there's a big fire in the hearth that keeps everyone warm. But the sparrow doesn't stay in this welcoming place; it quickly flies out another window on the other side of the dining room, refraining from plucking any of the delicious scraps of food the revelers have discarded. Bede says that the sparrow's actions are like ours in our own approach to living our lives. Well, guess what, Pisces: I don't think that will be true for you in the coming months. Judging from the astrological omens, I suspect that once you fly into the feast room, you won't depart like a restless, confused wanderer. You will linger

Rob Brezney: Free Will Astrology



Thank you for spending time sharing and putting yourself out there Tracy!!!
Tracy:
It was my pleasure to be the first poet interviewed in this new endeavor, Thank you very much for that honor.


Next week relish in the spotlight with us again on Wednesday's Meet the Poet!


22 comments:

RiikaInfinityy said...

Wow, I enjoy this wonderful interview, glad to know you better Tracy!=D~ One of our wonderful poet sin the community and hmm...Tracy and The Trollers...sounds kind of interesting it caught my attention XD~ I am wondering who are the band members in it=P~ haha anyways great job Annie and Tracy!=D~

lovelyannie79 said...

Thanks RiikaInfinity...Tracy is hysterical! Tracy do you care to explain what a Troller is?

woih said...

Tracy..I got an old fifty dollar acoustic..I'll meet ya in woods.

I really like this whole interview idea. It's nice to get to know a bit about the people whose thoughts you're reading everyday.

Good to get ta see a bit about ya Tracy. And awesome job on the interview lovelyannie79...of course,you had to ask the band title question!
Can't wait till next week

signed...bkm said...

Congrat's Tracy...so well deserved and I am so glad to know you better...you are one of the nicest and kindest that I have met here in poetry blogworld...your poetry is always sincere...I can feel that when I read it... and always enjoy visiting your site...best to you always.....bkm

Someone Is Special said...

Congrats Tracy... Well deserved and happy to meet people like you.. Thank Jingle Poetry..

--Someone Is Special--

Jingle Poetry said...

A Troller is a fisherman that cruises up and down the lake with his lure in the water trying to catch fish...or a band that fishes for other "catches" LOL
Thanks to all for the lovely comments...I'm so very flattered. :)

tracyhsays.com said...

:)

Amanda said...

Whooohooo, I am ecstatic to see this being posted!! What a fresh approach in getting to know our fellow bloggers a little better!! I have known Tracy for almost a year now (I call him Cowboy and he calls me Red!!) He is one of the most honest, compassionate and loving people I have ever met, with a heart of gold and makes me laugh so much!! I am proud of you Cowboy, your talent shines on a daily basis and I am so happy to be your friend. Congratulations to both you and Anne...I am looking forward to so much more in the future. Your most ardent admirer ~ Red...aka buttercup :) xxxx

Bing (PinkLady) said...

jingle, thanks for giving us the opportunity to get to know our poet friends better.

to annie and tracy, congratulations for a job well done!

Jingle said...

Good Morning, Annie, Tracy, Riik, Woih, Signed-bkm, Someone Is special, Amanda, and Pink Lady,

Thanks for the feedback on this feature, also I am thrilled to learn more about Tracy as well, love the first part about him and his daughter..
all questions are fun and reflective...

Beautiful opening for Meet Our Poet.
Happy Wednesday!

kavisionz said...

This was awesome!! I have been reading Tracy's work for a while now.. and finally, I get to learn a bit more about him :)
Ahh!! I should've guessed you are a Piscean! What with all the flowing romance and all.. I have too many Piscean friends to vouch for that!! heheh
Ummm.. Tracy, if you ever need a substitute drummer and keyboard player for your band, my hubby and I would LOVE to join you! We are just beginners/learners, but we would be MOST excited to "experiment" :) A Piscean, with a Scorpio and a Capricorn cannot be bad at all!! :))
And photography??!! Whoa!! Same pinch! :)

Thank you, Lovely Annie, for this cool interview! And thank you, Tracy, for sharing this bit with us all..

Lovely Annie, I am eagerly looking forward to your interview next week! How lovely this is! :)

TALON said...

Thank you, Lovely Annie, for a great interview and lovely to meet you, Tracy.

It is so neat to get to know more about the people behind the words and images.

lol @ the band and album names!

Rajlakshmi said...

nice to know about you tracy...
interview is well compiled

Caty said...

nice to "meet" you Tracy. It's nice getting to know about the poets in blogger land :)

umamaheswari anandane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
umamaheswari anandane said...

Very nice idea , done very beautifully.Its nice knowing you both.

Thanks for inviting me in.I am following you in name of umapoems.Do add me to your blogrolls too :)

Zainab Urooj said...

Hi Jingle,

I wish to join "Jingle Poetry". Request you to get me blogrolled.

tracyhsays.com said...

I'd like to say Hi to each of you that have commented here; it's my pleasure to be part of this growing community. I certainly look forward to seeing more of each of you here at Jingle Poetry.
Thanks Much,

Tracy H

JamieDedes said...

Wow! I am simple delighted with this and sitting here by myself with a big grin. Kudos all around ...

First to Jingle for the brilliant idea and implementation. This is just a lot of fun. Thanks, Ji!

Next to Annie for an absolutely outstanding interview. Excellent questions. Such a pleasure.

Finally - but not least - to fellow poet/Picean, Tracy. Tracy is one of my regular reads. I truly enjoy his poetry, the way he makes use of Amanda's wonderful photographs, his own photographs and the way he chages them out in the header, and his dear sense of humor ... and irony ... Smart man.

I think the interviews shows how genuine a poet Tracy is because everything here rings true when you read his poem.

I've enjoyed this much and look forward to the interview of Annie. Wonderful that you are introducing yourselves to us first.

Happy Poetry Pot Luck ...

tracyhsays.com said...

This is for my friend Jamie.... MWAH!! Your comment above made my day! :) Thank You!

sillyfrogsusan said...

This segment was fantastic!
Well done!
Bravo Tracy...great interview!

Anonymous said...

Tracy, It was wonderful to get to know you better.

D.